Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Someday Silent

College Football: Bowl Games and Championship

So far in the Cotton Bowl, Clemson leads Notre Dame 23 to 3.

Looks like we may see Alabama vs. Clemson at tue National Championship Game for the fourth year in a row, though I hope Oklahoma beats Alabama later tonight.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
burnsy
self medicated

I’ve complained about it before but that committee crap is nonsense. There are teams better than Notre Dame that didn’t get in. I also have my doubts about Oklahoma too. It’s a sham, they need a better system.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I’ve complained about it before but that committee crap is nonsense. There are teams better than Notre Dame that didn’t get in. I also have my doubts about Oklahoma too. It’s a sham, they need a better system.
Yes, I agree with you. This isn't a top-level game... this is Clemson outclassing a hapless opponent. I don't know much about Oklahoma so I won't make any definitive claims about the team. I tend to dislike Alabama so I hope they get upset.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
burnsy
self medicated

It’s a bs committee, contrived system. Expand the thing to a real playoff. Oklahoma is getting a beat down too. Georgia and Florida are better than Notre Dame and Oklahoma. Joke system.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Someday Silent

Quote:
It’s a bs committee, contrived system. Expand the thing to a real playoff. Oklahoma is getting a beat down too. Georgia and Florida are better than Notre Dame and Oklahoma. Joke system.
Indeed. Right now this is painful to watch.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Marshall Bennett

Georgia got beat and eliminated. Notre Dame went undefeated, one of three major colleges with respectable schedules to do so. An argument could be made against Oklahoma, but there's little doubt after losing to Texas early on they were the best team with 1 loss.
Without a more broad playoff system, someone every year is going to be offended. Imo, the 4 best teams made the playoffs, and whatever happened to them after that was their own undoing.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I was perfectly happy with the major bowl games on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Never saw the need for any kind of champion.
The bowl games were more than enough to cap the year.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
ronsmac

Quote:
The current system isn't great but it's much better than the bcs where 2 teams were picked to play in the championship. I remember when it was even worse when they didn't even play a championship game and people just voted for the champion. Now that was crazy. One poll said Michigan was the champ another said Nebraska was the champ. It was as bad as boxing.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
The current system isn't great but it's much better than the bcs where 2 teams were picked to play in the championship. I remember when it was even worse when they didn't even play a championship game and people just voted for the champion. Now that was crazy. One poll said Michigan was the champ another said Nebraska was the champ. It was as bad as boxing.
Do we really need four teams? Most of the semi-final games have been blowouts.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Do we really need four teams? Most of the semi-final games have been blowouts.
I'd rather see 8. Ohio st. and Georgia probably would have been better than Notre Dame , but I understand why Notre Dame made it.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
zico20

Quote:
You are correct in that it is a joke. I thought the idea was to get the four best teams in there. I don't know what planet you would have to be on to not see Georgia was the third best team in the country. I like Notre Dame so this is not sour grapes, but they would have gotten blown out to Alabama also. Georgia would have played either Alabama or Clemson close.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
I'd rather see 8. Ohio st. and Georgia probably would have been better than Notre Dame , but I understand why Notre Dame made it.
Okay, since you made this statement, exactly how would you choose the eight teams. If it were up to me I would take the eight best teams no matter how they finished in their conference. No conference would be guaranteed a spot. Why? Because it would cheapen the regular season. Right now it is essential to win almost all of your games. If the power 5 conference champions would get an automatic spot, the only thing the regular season would be meaningful for is to win your DIVISION. Then you get a chance to be one of the final eight. Crap IMO. That is right, a 6-6 team could be playing for a spot. UCLA years ago was 6-6 and lost in the PAC 12 championship game.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #13
FakeNameChanged

Notre Dame hasn't been good since Lou Holtz's days.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
zico20

It will expand eventually, too many people in different conferences are already calling for it. Here is what I would do if they had to expand. Make it the top six, the best six, no conference guarantee. The top two seeds get a bye to the bowl games as they are currently set up. Number 3v6 and 4v5 with the 3/4 playing at home the week after the championship games weekend. Okay, Navy-Army will be pissed as they won't have the following Saturday all to themselves, but so be it.

That would have meant Georgia and Ohio St. would have made it. The match ups would have been Notre Dame/Ohio St and Oklahoma/Georgia.

If these clowns deciding it can't get it right, then expand to six, but no more. There needs to be a huge reward for being either the first or second best team, which in my scenario would be a first round bye.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Marshall Bennett

Going to Eight teams would often bring into play teams with 2 losses. I don't believe any team with 2 losses deserves a shot at a championship. They already blew their chances. Whether its 4 or 8 teams, someone will feel they've been cheated and left out. The more teams that get to compete, the cheaper the title becomes.
Imo, this is exactly why the World Series lacks the excitement it once had.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply