Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your most successful handicapping trait/tool?
Patience 40 14.18%
Experience 48 17.02%
Number crunching 18 6.38%
Sheets / Thorograph / TimeformUS / DRF / Equibase, etc. 33 11.70%
Software 45 15.96%
Very specific races/angles 30 10.64%
Jockey/Trainer angles 17 6.03%
Other 51 18.09%
Voters: 282. This poll is closed

Old 09-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #76
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
That's probably because though the older horses have the advantage during most of the year, at some point late during the year this advantage is reversed as the 3YOs mature combined with the fact that the previous years crop is weaker than they should be because the best horses of that crop have been whisked off to stud early.
Most horses don't peak until late 4yo or early 5yo season from what I've read. But in this sport, very few of the best are given that chance. Gun Runner and California Chrome are some recent examples, Zenyatta a little further back.

But at no point would I think the tables turn during a horse's 3yo year. The gap just gets less and less to the point more talented 3yos can win against older.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #77
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Most horses don't peak until late 4yo or early 5yo season from what I've read. But in this sport, very few of the best are given that chance. Gun Runner and California Chrome are some recent examples, Zenyatta a little further back.

But at no point would I think the tables turn during a horse's 3yo year. The gap just gets less and less to the point more talented 3yos can win against older.
Yep, horses are not physically mature until 5 which accounts for CC and GR running better as they got closer to full maturity. It is not uncommon for show jumpers to be competitive as old as 10. Unfortunately the better race horses are usually retired well before reaching maturity weakening the ranks of the older horse crop relative to 3YOs. I recall one year when the top 3 finishers in the BC Classic were 3YOs as the best horses of the previous years crops were retired so some years (not all) there is a time late in the year when most of the better horses are 3YOs.

Aside from early retirement of the best ones, few race horses remain competitive as long as show jumpers due to the stresses of racing and, criminally, the effects of performance enhancing drugs.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #78
bobphilo

Good Magic Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Yep, horses are not physically mature until 5 which accounts for CC and GR running better as they got closer to full maturity. It is not uncommon for show jumpers to be competitive as old as 10. Unfortunately the better race horses are usually retired well before reaching maturity weakening the ranks of the older horse crop relative to 3YOs. I recall one year when the top 3 finishers in the BC Classic were 3YOs as the best horses of the previous years crops were retired so some years (not all) there is a time late in the year when most of the better horses are 3YOs.

Aside from early retirement of the best ones, few race horses remain competitive as long as show jumpers due to the stresses of racing and, criminally, the effects of performance enhancing drugs.
Lately, it seemed that with the retirement of the best horses at the end of their 3YO season, by Breeders Cup time the previous years crop had been weakened to the extent that the 3YOs had the advantage. However with the retirement of arguebly the 2nd best 3YsO (Good Magic) after the early retirement of Justify, the current 3YO crop is now also weakened even before the end of the year. I wonder if the older horses will thus regain their advantage come BC time.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #79
ultracapper

Accurate interpretation of what I see on replays. When I'm going good it's because I'm reading clearly what I'm seeing as the horses run around the track.

I voted "experience".

Last edited by ultracapper; 10-06-2018 at 04:00 AM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #80
omalley

After years of handicapping I have made my most money over the last several years by selecting a stable that also races their own horses. You get more information about the race than the write up in the form. At Kee. R10 Synchrony in the race at Arl. at the top to the stretch he lost his right front shoe. On 10/4 at Pid R7 their horse paid 37.40 to win.
omalley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: