Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Who wins HOY? Accelerate or Justify?
Accelerate wins HOY 119 42.35%
Justify wins HOY 162 57.65%
Voters: 281. This poll is closed

Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #346
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

Socks for CJ? What does that make you?

The ladies underwear for LoneF?
ok, now thats funny.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #347
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You think somehow Horse of the Year voting and betting are equated? Wow.
A sports analogy if you will...perhaps some of you will follow along...most won't...which is actually good for my betting...

The UCF golden knights are THE "Justify's" of college football...they've WON 24,25...(lost count) games in row...yet can't even come close to making the college football play-offs....why....because of SCHEDULE...

Meanwhile Accelerate...much tougher races...and RAN FASTER...more than once ran faster than "Justify" ever ran....so he's like Clemson or Georgia or Alabama...so he lost one race...big deal...

EGO....those who TOUT Justify as HOTY....well....logic is flawed...and therefore...so-called flawed logic will ALLOW them to make bets on OTHER races....which of course.... I & others will TAKE ADVANTAGE of....that is all

Hope that's clear enough...

Last edited by sammy the sage; 12-23-2018 at 08:25 PM.
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #348
AMPHAR

If not Justify. I would vote for Monomy Girl over Accelerate

Last edited by AMPHAR; 12-23-2018 at 09:55 PM.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #349
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
And Mendelssohn destroyed Good Magic, Tenfold, Hofburg, Vino Rosso, Gronkowski, and bested that dogged old Bravazo. And had they snuck Audible into the BCC, Mendelssohn would have crushed him too. So?

People are acting like you are giving some really wicked comebacks, but basically, they just agree with you (though you might all actually just be socks for CJ, so who knows?).

From what I've heard, Justify already has the votes. Its done. Accelerate looked to have them after the BCC, then the wine and dine offensive started and, now it is done for real, and Justify has them. Hopefully Accelerate wins the Pegasus, then when he loses HOY, he makes people like you look like horses asses.

None of Justify's crop has achieved anything of note, and since all of the "best" are retired right along with him, they never will. If you are impressed with the 2018 3yos, more power to you.

I voted for Gun Runner for moment of the year. In the US he was the only top race horse we had this year (Enable doesn't count). His Pegasus effort was better and harder than all 3 of Justify's TC races. Crosswinds were 20mph that day, and he took them full on from the half. Crazy hard effort. And he'd pretty much raced non-stop for 2 years. Against much harder competition.
Thumbs up.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #350
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Heck, people in this thread are confused with who will beat who as a factor in the voting, its not.
It’s a factor to voters who have a clue.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #351
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHAR View Post
If not Justify. I would vote for Monomy Girl over Accelerate
I’m glad you can’t vote. The filly would get her head handed to her by Accelerate.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #352
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
It’s a factor to voters who have a clue.
Then Gun Runner should get a LOT of those votes
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #353
AMPHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I’m glad you can’t vote. The filly would get her head handed to her by Accelerate.
Then why not Gun Runner? City of Light? Enable?

If it’s soley about who beats who? The award has an accomplishment aspect to it.

Triple Crown had this untouchable thing going on for 20 years. MG probably had the most impressive campaign of any horse this year.

Late fall 2 year olds and Spring 3 year olds compete much more than their older counterparts at growing distances and different tracks.

In a year where the older horses were blah, it’s much more impressive and deserving.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #354
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHAR View Post
Then why not Gun Runner? City of Light? Enable?

If it’s soley about who beats who? The award has an accomplishment aspect to it.

Triple Crown had this untouchable thing going on for 20 years. MG probably had the most impressive campaign of any horse this year.

Late fall 2 year olds and Spring 3 year olds compete much more than their older counterparts at growing distances and different tracks.

In a year where the older horses were blah, it’s much more impressive and deserving.
Even if you want to say that generally about 3 year olds and the TC, it doesn't really apply to Justify. No two year old races, only one race around one turn, only 6 starts, 4 stakes races, first three races in California against mostly weak California 3 year olds.

So you had what will surely go down as the least accomplished TC winner ever, unless you want to say Sir Barton did less, I guess.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #355
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
And Mendelssohn destroyed Good Magic, Tenfold, Hofburg, Vino Rosso, Gronkowski, and bested that dogged old Bravazo. And had they snuck Audible into the BCC, Mendelssohn would have crushed him too. So?

People are acting like you are giving some really wicked comebacks, but basically, they just agree with you (though you might all actually just be socks for CJ, so who knows?).

From what I've heard, Justify already has the votes. Its done. Accelerate looked to have them after the BCC, then the wine and dine offensive started and, now it is done for real, and Justify has them. Hopefully Accelerate wins the Pegasus, then when he loses HOY, he makes people like you look like horses asses.

None of Justify's crop has achieved anything of note, and since all of the "best" are retired right along with him, they never will. If you are impressed with the 2018 3yos, more power to you.

I voted for Gun Runner for moment of the year. In the US he was the only top race horse we had this year (Enable doesn't count). His Pegasus effort was better and harder than all 3 of Justify's TC races. Crosswinds were 20mph that day, and he took them full on from the half. Crazy hard effort. And he'd pretty much raced non-stop for 2 years. Against much harder competition.
This is correct in all respects.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #356
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
. It's a winnowing out process that culminates at distinct points, so it is completely rational to assume that Justify was up against the best efforts of his opponents at those three times.:
This isn't true at all. Plenty of horses fail to fire in TC races.

PA I am sure would be shocked to hear that Holy Bull was 100 percent in the Derby. I would be shocked to hear that Bolt D'Oro was his old self in the Derby.

Native Dancer didn't run his race in the Derby. Majestic Prince ran hurt in the Belmont. Riva Ridge threw in a clunker in the Preakness. Snow Chief didn't look too good on Derby day.

Game on Dude certainly was better than his TC form. So was Forego.

The TC isn't any different from other horse races. Horses simply fail to fire sometimes. They have bad trips. They get cooked on the pace. They are still maturing.

You can't take a snapshot right at that point and declare it the ultimate answer on horses' ability.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #357
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
A sports analogy if you will...perhaps some of you will follow along...most won't...which is actually good for my betting...

The UCF golden knights are THE "Justify's" of college football...they've WON 24,25...(lost count) games in row...yet can't even come close to making the college football play-offs....why....because of SCHEDULE...

Meanwhile Accelerate...much tougher races...and RAN FASTER...more than once ran faster than "Justify" ever ran....so he's like Clemson or Georgia or Alabama...so he lost one race...big deal...

EGO....those who TOUT Justify as HOTY....well....logic is flawed...and therefore...so-called flawed logic will ALLOW them to make bets on OTHER races....which of course.... I & others will TAKE ADVANTAGE of....that is all

Hope that's clear enough...
I shoud add, I think some of cj's arguments in this thread are wrong, but you do not want to get into a handicapping contest with him or assume that he is adding dumb money to the pools. He has forgotten more about handicapping then I will ever know. And I would say the same about Spalding and Randall.

Last edited by dilanesp; 12-24-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #358
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I shoud add, I think some of cj's arguments in this thread are wrong, but you do not want to get into a handicapping contest with him or assume that he is adding dumb money to the pools. He has forgotten more about handicapping then I will ever know. And I would say the same about Spalding and Randall.
What good is their handicapping knowledge...if it's been FORGOTTEN?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #359
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Just thinking out loud.....if Accelerate won 5 grade 1 races this years, how bad was the older division?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #360
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
What good is their handicapping knowledge...if it's been FORGOTTEN?
It's a metaphor....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: