Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I posted this in off-topic, and will post it here as well

I'm going to start handing out red cards (or penalty points) for excessive use of name calling (and to start out with, it will be ANY use of name calling). If you're in the habit of CALLING OTHER FORUM MEMBERS NAMES (note I said FORUM MEMBERS, and not jockeys or trainers or your delivery man etc), you'll likely end up with a penalty assessed if you keep it up.

Three penalties within a 10 day period will result in an automatic one day ban.

Six penalties within a 10 day period will result in a five day ban.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
theiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I'm going to start handing out red cards (or penalty points) for excessive use of name calling (and to start out with, it will be ANY use of name calling). If you're in the habit of CALLING OTHER FORUM MEMBERS NAMES (note I said FORUM MEMBERS, and not jockeys or trainers or your delivery man etc), you'll likely end up with a penalty assessed if you keep it up.

Thanks.
Thats more than Desormeux gets :
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
thaskalos

A "One-day ban"? I thought you were against slap-on-the-wrist fines.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Thanks.
I see the future. One of our miscreants will unload his laundry list of vulgarity the day before his annual trip to Wallyworld.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

I know we're all a bit more sensitive in this #metoo era, but what kind of a weirdo would call someone else's member a name in a public forum?

https://www.racingmuseum.org/hall-of-fame/longfellow
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Good rule Mike. I hope it applies to celebrities.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 01:03 AM   #7
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Good rule Mike. I hope it applies to celebrities.
You hear that J Balls Calls?

Watch your ass!
Old 09-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Lets just be clear that we are talking about ad-hominem attacks and not calling out statements if they are wrong...there is a big difference between

Joe you are an idiot

and

Joe your statement is idiotic.

People get bent when someone calls out moronic statements as a personal attack, when they just made a moronic statement.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Lets just be clear that we are talking about ad-hominem attacks and not calling out statements if they are wrong...
Unless there are cold, hard facts that can be presented, "being wrong" on a horse racing forum is often highly subjective.

Quote:
People get bent when someone calls out moronic statements as a personal attack, when they just made a moronic statement.
But, I truly do not understand the inability to simply say to another person "I disagree, and here is why".

What is the need to call out any statement using descriptors such as idiotic, moronic, stoopid, etc.? To me, these are all in the category of INTERNET TROLL WORDS.

As for direct name-calling, if somebody has 3 name-calling episodes in a 10 day period they are very likely just a garden variety "abusive person" and nothing you can do to them on an internet forum is going to help them very much.....however, other members can be spared having to read it.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

What is the need to call out any statement using descriptors such as idiotic, moronic, stoopid, etc.? To me, these are all in the category of INTERNET TROLL WORDS.

sometimes you need to convey how truly incoherent an opinion may be, stronger words within the English language were created for this very reason.

Why people get so upset is what baffles me.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
clicknow

Quote:
sometimes you need to convey how truly incoherent an opinion may be, stronger words within the English language were created for this very reason.

Why people get so upset is what baffles me.
What baffles me is how people who are abusive will always find an excuse for being abusive...... and it always involves blaming their actions/behavior on what somebody else said or did, that "made them do it".

Nature of the beast. The hallmark, actually.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Unless there are cold, hard facts that can be presented, "being wrong" on a horse racing forum is often highly subjective.

But, I truly do not understand the inability to simply say to another person "I disagree, and here is why".

As for direct name-calling, if somebody has 3 name-calling episodes in a 10 day period they are very likely just a garden variety "abusive person" and nothing you can do to them on an internet forum is going to help them very much.....however, other members can be spared having to read it.
So to you, people can say whatever they want, no matter how rude or offensive and that's fine, but if a person points out that it's wrong and uses the word "stupid" they're the "troll", not the original poster?

Hope you don't think it's stupid, but I picture you posting from inside a giant ball of cotton so the Internet doesn't offend you.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #13
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
So to you, people can say whatever they want, no matter how rude or offensive and that's fine, but if a person points out that it's wrong and uses the word "stupid" they're the "troll", not the original poster?

Hope you don't think it's stupid, but I picture you posting from inside a giant ball of cotton so the Internet doesn't offend you.
I think you need to read better.

How you got that I said "people can say whatever they want" is beyond me. ???Where did I say this?

I"lll be waiting for you to show me, exactly WHERE I said that a person can say whatever they wnat no matter how rude and offensive and that's fine.

And I could care less what strangers on the internet call me. I'm tough as nails...

but in real life, I prefer the company of classy, courteous people, who use better words and don't "name-call" each other.

So yeah, I support the admin here who is trying to get people to stop name calling. Does that bother you? Obviously, it kinda does.