Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #1
Boomer

Opening Day Colonial Downs

Take a look and send it in. What an opening day card. What a great track.

Big fields shipping in from all over. Mostly grass races on two beautiful grass courses. Best spectator paddock experience in the country.

Join in with selections on the handicapping thread.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Big fields shipping in from all over. Mostly grass races on two beautiful grass courses. Best spectator paddock experience in the country.

Totally agree. Such a level playing field and you won’t see the same 3 jockeys winning every other race like in Saratoga. Don’t get me wrong I love the atmosphere at Toga but the betting not so much. The other meet I look forward to is Kentucky Downs. Good luck with your bets boomer !
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
azeri98

Huge prices today
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
olddaddy

Full very competitive fields, 7 of 8 races on grass for the turf lovers, prices galore, great calling by Jason Beem. Haskell day, Diana Day , Million preview day, Opening weekend at Delmar but todays Colonial card took the cake. What a monday surprise.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
Full very competitive fields, 7 of 8 races on grass for the turf lovers, prices galore, great calling by Jason Beem. Haskell day, Diana Day , Million preview day, Opening weekend at Delmar but todays Colonial card took the cake. What a monday surprise.
Very well said.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
deathandgravity

Love Colonial Downs!

Might be time to visit some relatives in Virginia
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

I wonder if they are going to start getting more racing dates? It is only a little over 60 miles from me, but I have never done well betting turf races.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
VeryOldMan

Speaking as someone who once lived in Tidewater Virginia, I think the biggest issue remains the location of the track. It's in the virtual middle of nowhere. Not exactly a short drive to Richmond or the Newport News/Norfolk/etc. area. Requires a fairly hardcore desire to see live horse racing, which is becoming less and less a requirement over time. I wish the track well, but that location has always seemed doomed to failure to me.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #9
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I see they have reopened a few of the OTB locations. I used to visit the one in Scott County, but I doubt if it will be reopening any time soon.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:11 AM   #10
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I see they have reopened a few of the OTB locations. I used to visit the one in Scott County, but I doubt if it will be reopening any time soon.
All of the OTB locations in VA are up and running. After CNL closed down, the original OTBs also were shuttered.
New ones were opened .
here.....https://rosiesgaming.com/wp-content/...iesMap_WEB.png
Sports betting is now legal in Virginia.
So, some of ther new OTB locations are also sports books.
VInton, Dumfries and Hampton are sports books as well as venues to wager on racing.
https://rosiesgaming.com/va-horseplay/
Also, the facility in Collinsville( Near Martinsville on US 220) offers electronic gaming as well as wagering on Horse racing.. Full simulcast menu.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2021, 12:22 AM   #11
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I intend on making it to CNL this season for sure.
In the track's first iteration, my wife and I went to Virginia Derby Day in I think 2008.
Now that new owners are in charge of this beautiful facility and with the money pouring in from other forms of gaming, the purses are competitive and the barns that are stabled at CNL for the 2021 meet make for competitive racing.
CNL is a turf centered race meeting.
It also caters to Virginia breds....BTW, I believe Secretariat was a VA Bred
Finally, what used to be what some call the middle of nowhere, New Kent is a growing area. Lots of new neighborhoods and shopping centers abound.
Also, the Track is a mere stones throw from I-64.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
I intend on making it to CNL this season for sure.
In the track's first iteration, my wife and I went to Virginia Derby Day in I think 2008.
Now that new owners are in charge of this beautiful facility and with the money pouring in from other forms of gaming, the purses are competitive and the barns that are stabled at CNL for the 2021 meet make for competitive racing.
CNL is a turf centered race meeting.
It also caters to Virginia breds....BTW, I believe Secretariat was a VA Bred
Finally, what used to be what some call the middle of nowhere, New Kent is a growing area. Lots of new neighborhoods and shopping centers abound.
Also, the Track is a mere stones throw from I-64.

Secretariat was born in Caroline County VA at a farm that is no longer in existence. The grounds are now Meadow Events Park and they have birthplace tours. For anyone familiar with the area it is in Doswell close to Kings Dominion amusement park just off I-95.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply