Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #16
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I liked him in the Belmont. Too far for him. Helped me go 0-3 in the big three races. Didn’t embarrass himself so I think he’s still worth watching . It’s kind of interesting to see who comes out on top by the end of the year. The Belmont is kind of an enigma now. Not many will run that far again if any. Somehow the longest race was the only one with a really fast pace. Strange year between the obvious Derby Debacle of 21 and even the running of the races themselves.
He feels like a horse who will go 2 wins or so and its because he caught the right fields with the right setups...this is the case for many horses so its not a bad thing, key is find when that race is and sending it in then.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #17
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
He feels like a horse who will go 2 wins or so and its because he caught the right fields with the right setups...this is the case for many horses so its not a bad thing, key is find when that race is and sending it in then.
Perfect.
That's the "book" on Rombauer.
In his Preakness score he was helped immensely by lively action early and often.......and he skated home.
Put him at a track like Keenland,which may not suit him much......he's good....not great.
FWIW:
I think at some point later on this year he's going to catch a solid heater up front on a track that plays a bit his way and he's going to pop again at a number in a big race.

Last edited by taxicab; 06-17-2021 at 10:24 PM.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #18
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Speed guys get their chance on Monday. I know I'll have a few bucks on Dreamer's Disease in the 300k Texas Derby. He was the main speed in the Juvenile and has been a part of two brutal trips since. I don't know if he wants to go this far but I'll give him a shot at what figures to be a pretty big price.
Is there a more poorly managed horse in this year's 3yo crop than Dreamer's Disease?

Diodoro has been making all the wrong moves. The horse has no blacktype, but he starts him off way over his head in the Pat Day, a one-turn event no less (he's never shown he can handle a sprint pace). Ignores a couple of New York-bred stakes races to toss him into the sloppy Texas Derby off his Pat Day meltdown (predictably running off the first part of the race and tiring himself out despite a clear pace advantage). Then inexplicably wheels him back in a grass sprint for another meltdown. Almost no opportunity for the horse to relax and harness his good early speed so that he can actually save something for the final furlong.

It would have made more sense to just make the horse the permanent rabbit for stablemate Keepmeinmind (another poorly managed Diodoro horse).

Actually, all that said, when looking at the Texas Derby chart, perhaps Gethernumber is more poorly managed. But at least his connections had the good sense to send him to pull up in the Texas Derby instead of the Belmont Stakes (which they had also threatened to run in).

Last edited by Spalding No!; 06-23-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2021, 10:26 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Is there a more poorly managed horse in this year's 3yo crop than Dreamer's Disease?

Diodoro has been making all the wrong moves. The horse has no blacktype, but he starts him off way over his head in the Pat Day, a one-turn event no less (he's never shown he can handle a sprint pace). Ignores a couple of New York-bred stakes races to toss him into the sloppy Texas Derby off his Pat Day meltdown (predictably running off the first part of the race and tiring himself out despite a clear pace advantage). Then inexplicably wheels him back in a grass sprint for another meltdown. Almost no opportunity for the horse to relax and harness his good early speed so that he can actually save something for the final furlong.

It would have made more sense to just make the horse the permanent rabbit for stablemate Keepmeinmind (another poorly managed Diodoro horse).

Actually, all that said, when looking at the Texas Derby chart, perhaps Gethernumber is more poorly managed. But at least his connections had the good sense to send him to pull up in the Texas Derby instead of the Belmont Stakes (which they had also threatened to run in).
It is almost like he is used to handling nothing but claimers, but this would be bad even for claiming horses.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #20
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Just announced the Jim Dandy over the Haskell. Appears to be going the Saratoga route. I’m wondering if it’s the new rules in NJ but it appears the majority are heading to Toga.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #21
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Just announced the Jim Dandy over the Haskell. Appears to be going the Saratoga route. I’m wondering if it’s the new rules in NJ but it appears the majority are heading to Toga.
Is Monmouth still considered a conveyor belt for frontrunners? If so, not sure why the Haskell was on Rombauer's radar to begin with.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #22
burnsy
self medicated

Spalding , I’m not sure because I haven’t been following it. But my friend that does says that it’s even harder to close with the lack of whipping. He said the turf races are merry go rounds even more than the dirt. So, you’re right it’s not a great spot for this horse anyway.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Getting some time off, goal is Dubai 2022.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply