Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #61
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

It doesn't matter how it was passed, I was referring to the fact that the result, contrary to the previous poster, was overreach and the rationalization for it had no plausibility.
How it was passed matters very much. Pelosi, by her own admission, was very careful to draft Obama Care as tax legislation, otherwise it would have been unconstitutional.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #62
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

It doesn't matter how it was passed, I was referring to the fact that the result, contrary to the previous poster, was overreach and the rationalization for it had no plausibility.
Congress does not have unlimited, 'unfettered" powers. Its "implied powers" are based on its enumerated powers and its "implied powers" are what the Supreme Court allows as an "implied power".

Judge Metha did not expand any of Congress' powers. Metha only ruled the request fell within the scope of legislative purpose". The case has been appealed.

Also, when it comes to the Executive branch the Courts have held Congress' inquiries have to be specific and limited. Asking for 10 years of financial records may be overly broad, especially asking for the records of private citizen Trump.

What possible legislative purpose arises from a private citizens financial records as to campaign violations, without the existence of a political campaign? Also, what legislative purpose does it serve to obtain one private citizens financial records?

The case has been appealed, so stay tuned, for the winning of one battle is not the war.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-21-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #63
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Congress does not have unlimited, 'unfettered" powers.

You completely missed the point, which is that Congress often oversteps its powers. As does the Executive branch. And "we the people" rarely have the ability to stop them.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #64
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
You completely missed the point, which is that Congress often oversteps its powers. As does the Executive branch. And "we the people" rarely have the ability to stop them.
Of course they do, that is why we have the Judicial branch. That is my point.

Obama Care had to pass judicial muster as does any implied power of Congress.

The power of the people is in the right to vote. If we don't approve of Congress vote them out.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #65
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Excess tax loses from one year carry forward to future years until the loses are consumed; hence, tax liability on profits in a new year, or years, can be totally covered, if the previous year's loss is large enough.

Compare it to wins and losses in horse racing: win $1,000; lose $1,500, in a given year. What would be your income tax liability for that year, assuming $1,000 was your only income for the year? Zero. But, you still suffered a loss of income...how do you recoup that loss, based on current tax laws? You apply it to any taxable income for the following year or years, which reduces your tax liability for those years, even if your net income or net worth "explodes" for those years.

Apparently, in Trump's case, his billion-dollar business losses for a given year were great enough to reduce taxable income and to cover tax liabilities on profits for several years going forward...until totally consumed. On paper, his tax liability for the so-called explosion year(s) was accounted for, and hence, paid.

All legal.

Someone please correct me, if I am wrong.
You're exactly right! Well stated!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #66
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
And the terminal illness known as TDS evolves yet again.
So you think I travelled back to 1993 and rearranged history to make Chumpy appear not the only president investigated.

Let me talk to boxcar about his backwards time theories to get that straight
Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #67
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I have yet to question whether they have the right for anything.
Funny because that's all I've argued.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #68
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
You are such a joke, it isn't even funny anymore lol.....

"Nobody" knows what's in them......
Thanks for calling the IRS NOBODY's...on that we can agree!! Of course they know what's in there. You do agree that Donald filed taxes right? If he filed taxes, then they were looked at by NOBODY!!!

Why would anyone care of he donated to XYZ??

Maybe, just MAYBE he is fighting because its his right to privacy!!! Please show us all the law that REQUIRES DJT to expose his taxes to the average Joe blow on the street versus the IRS!!! Ill be waiting for that!!!

Now you're gonna come back and say that this isn't about the world, that ONLY congress wants to see what's in them.... BULL SHIT.... Its a POLITICAL TOOL to try and muddy the waters again for DJT. Just like there Russian Collusion was!! How many on the left were OUTRIGHT calling him an AGENT of Russia WITHOUT ANY PROOF? I guess that wasn't political either!!!

You're a joke as I've said all along!!!
None of this is relevant to what I've said.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #69
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post

Obama Care had to pass judicial muster as does any implied power of Congress.
If you kill someone in cold blood and get off on a legal technicality, you have passed judicial muster but you are still a murderer in reality.

Same with ObamaCare. You keep nitpicking about the process while ignoring the reality of the result. Congress and Obama clearly exceeded their powers, and SCOTUS punted on it.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #70
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post

Protect the Executive Branch?

That's certainly a new one.

They don't need to cite anything. Congress has this power.

Again they don't need probable anything.

Should Congress just begin the Impeachment Process? Yeah they should. At which point all of this moot anyway as they'll get what they are asking for.

I'm assuming that's coming at this point.
And you are cool with that, Komrad?
I remember TRUMP had the power to fire certain people. Period. You did not agree.

Seems you go with the flwo of the haters.
You are soooo transparent.
Soooooo transparent.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #71
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Funny because that's all I've argued.
You should delve into the deeper meaning of it all.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 PM   #72
elysiantraveller

Quote:
You should delve into the deeper meaning of it all.
I don't need to delve any deeper.

That's what the law says so that's what it is.

If you have to delve deeper Trump's personal attorney has pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations and testified to inflating and deflating assets to avoid tax burdens and secure financing.

I don't need to debate the validity of that reasoning but it does exist regardless of what law the Democrats are using to legally gain the requested information.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #73
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
And you are cool with that, Komrad?
I remember TRUMP had the power to fire certain people. Period. You did not agree.

Seems you go with the flwo of the haters.
You are soooo transparent.
Soooooo transparent.
Cool with what?

Congress taking back some power?

Yes. Absolutely.

One of the more fortunate and unintended consequences of the Trump Presidency is that the Executive is going to be taken to the woodshed.

As far as hiring and firing people... yeah... that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 PM   #74
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Of course it does, except to Trump haters, which YOU are one!
Everyone here knows it. You just deny it and we laugh at you.
Keep 'em coming.....you are cheaper than cable.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #75
newtothegame

Quote:
None of this is relevant to what I've said.
Sure it is....
Here is what YOU said....:"Nobody knows what is in them.

Could be he committed bank fraud... could be he donated to Planned Parenthood... could be nothing... maybe he's broke?

Its obvious there is something in there or he wouldn't be fighting pointless legal battles preventing them from being seen by anyone."

And I relied that your NOBODY is actually the IRS as they DO know what's in them....

You then went on to talk about all of the could be scenarios....to which I again said basically WHO CARES who he donated or didn't donate too??? Its none of the worlds business. Its a private matter for him as to who he does or doesn't donate too. But that's not what congress wants. They want to muddy the water.

You then went on to say how its obvious there is "something" in there, where we all know your "something" is an implied negative. You went on to say how he is preventing them from being seen by anyone. Again, I said they have already been seen by the IRS.
So yeah, my post is 100% relevant to what YOU said..... As I mentioned, you're just a joke.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply