Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
maddog42

Most Embarassing Loss

I've done a bit of red boarding, so I thought I would list some of my failures. I get to RP late on Sunday with my wife. We are bargain hunting gamblers and we had $20 worth of coupons. I give my coupons to her and she plays slots. I lose the first 3 races I bet and I played 2 horses to win in one of them. No big deal. I switch over and bet Monmouth race 11. I get a #2 ppf (3rd fraction rating) on the 1 with the favorite having the best rating. I bet the 1 at 50/1 to win and take the 2 favorites on top in exactas. Naturally the 50 to 1 shot places behind the 4th favorite and I collect nada. I brush it off but it bothers me a little. I work a race and skip it: no odds. Then the 12th at Monmouth is about to go 8 minutes till Post. I work it quickly and don't see much,but the 4 is 18/1 and has 2nd best ppf in the race. I like the fav and i take the top 3 betting choices to win over my 18/1 shot 4. Naturally the 4 places behind the fts at 35/1. Now I dont begrudge not hitting the exacta, and being a numbers guy maybe I shouldn't even be in the race with a fts, but damn it my handicapping was good and I stll lost. I am angry by this time. And yes I have heard of a place bet.
A recent review of my place bets showed they weren't doing as well as exactas would have. Zig and zag from place to exactas. Still Lose. This is a tough game even when you handicap well . Now betting is not my strong suit, I know that. I have read most of the literature from Meadow to Cramer and I get very frustrated at this game. I think this game pays good betters better than good handicapping.
maddog42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
I've done a bit of red boarding, so I thought I would list some of my failures. I get to RP late on Sunday with my wife. We are bargain hunting gamblers and we had $20 worth of coupons. I give my coupons to her and she plays slots. I lose the first 3 races I bet and I played 2 horses to win in one of them. No big deal. I switch over and bet Monmouth race 11. I get a #2 ppf (3rd fraction rating) on the 1 with the favorite having the best rating. I bet the 1 at 50/1 to win and take the 2 favorites on top in exactas. Naturally the 50 to 1 shot places behind the 4th favorite and I collect nada. I brush it off but it bothers me a little. I work a race and skip it: no odds. Then the 12th at Monmouth is about to go 8 minutes till Post. I work it quickly and don't see much,but the 4 is 18/1 and has 2nd best ppf in the race. I like the fav and i take the top 3 betting choices to win over my 18/1 shot 4. Naturally the 4 places behind the fts at 35/1. Now I dont begrudge not hitting the exacta, and being a numbers guy maybe I shouldn't even be in the race with a fts, but damn it my handicapping was good and I stll lost. I am angry by this time. And yes I have heard of a place bet.
A recent review of my place bets showed they weren't doing as well as exactas would have. Zig and zag from place to exactas. Still Lose. This is a tough game even when you handicap well . Now betting is not my strong suit, I know that. I have read most of the literature from Meadow to Cramer and I get very frustrated at this game. I think this game pays good betters better than good handicapping.
I forgot: My wife comes up to me then and naturally she wins $100 on the slots. I always chide her about what bandits they are. A lesson in humility.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

Ashwood CC,2001,River Downs.Played her in exactas which I didn't have any love for the other contenders.She won in a breeze at 5-1.I collected next to nothing.Total embarrassment.Was a 3yo filly that had lightning works and a favorable pace scenario.I think about it at least once or twice a season at RD,unintentionally.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
pondman

I personally owned a horse. It was at 24-1. Didn't think it had a chance. Didn't bet it. It won easy.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
cnollfan

AkSarBen, 1978. On summer vacations from college I am going to the races every day with dreams of being a professional gambler. A high-school friend of mine comes to visit. He is not a horseplayer but wants to hang out with me at the track. In the first race I like the horse Jonna Dee, who is the second favorite and the lone speed. My friend likes Latin Wayfarer, the favorite. We argue. I bet $300 to win on Jonna Dee, my largest bet ever at that point, and $24 in the daily double. Nowadays I hedge but in those days I did not. Jonna Dee leads every step of the way but gets caught at the wire by Latin Wayfarer. My friend is very excited and starts waving a $2 place ticket on Latin Wayfarer in my face.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
mistergee

so how did you kill him?>
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
outofthebox

Ky Derby day 1990 at Hollywood Park. Nice 2 day carryover in Pick 6 well over 1 million. A buddy and i have a ticket mapped out for just under $500. I'm the groom for a first time grass runner in the stake that day named Itsallgreektome. He's a single on our ticked at 30-1. I run over to the frontside to give my buddy my half and he tells me he invested a larger amount in another syndicated ticket, so he can't go in on mine. I still wanted to put that ticket in but i needed another single to cut the ticket back. You know what happens next, i took off the winner of a race that i was only 2 deep in. Nobody had 6 that day and i got a great conso 1 time for a couple grand. The syndicate ticket hit a few conso's but missed on Itsallgreektome. Thats a stinger for life!
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnollfan
AkSarBen, 1978. On summer vacations from college I am going to the races every day with dreams of being a professional gambler. A high-school friend of mine comes to visit. He is not a horseplayer but wants to hang out with me at the track. In the first race I like the horse Jonna Dee, who is the second favorite and the lone speed. My friend likes Latin Wayfarer, the favorite. We argue. I bet $300 to win on Jonna Dee, my largest bet ever at that point, and $24 in the daily double. Nowadays I hedge but in those days I did not. Jonna Dee leads every step of the way but gets caught at the wire by Latin Wayfarer. My friend is very excited and starts waving a $2 place ticket on Latin Wayfarer in my face.
It's amazing how acute the pain can be isn't it?!!!If it was really embarrassing you know the who,what,when,where,and why.Down to the name,date,time.I think we got it.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
deathandgravity

Suffice to say… Nice P6 carry over @ the winter meet @ AQU about 6 years ago. Put together a ticket, but do to circumstances @ work… never got the ticket in. (work started @ 500am before most ADW opened) Cold-Decked it including a 40-1 shot. No P6 winner & carry over the next day. UGH!

What can you do? Turn the page & go on the next race.
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
judd

many, many years ago when i used to frequent the meadows harness, cause it was closer than waterford park(now mountainer) i waiting till the last possible min to bet $200 to win on a harness horse, the teller made a mistake and punched in $2.00 (2 little dollars) when i looked at ticket i yelled no! $2 hundred
he got nervous and just then the bell sounded -betting closed --when the horse who went wire-to-wire i walked up to same teller and threw ticket at him and game me $9.40 --i said you cost me some decent money--here you can keep this 9 bucks !!!!!!! talk about being pissed not embarrased
judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
point given

Why do we remember the costly near missed scores more than the ones we make ? I can remember all the details of near misses of p6 nosed at the wire, but am foggy on details of made scores other than i won nice coin on that day
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
wisconsin

I remember around 1998 or so at the Richmond, IL OTB, having 4 straight winners from Detroit to Delaware, betting all gimmicks, and not cashing a single ticket. The winners all paid

$7
$9
$6
$6

Nothing special, but I lost about $200 during that sequence. Doh!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #13
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
Ky Derby day 1990 at Hollywood Park. Nice 2 day carryover in Pick 6 well over 1 million. A buddy and i have a ticket mapped out for just under $500. I'm the groom for a first time grass runner in the stake that day named Itsallgreektome. He's a single on our ticked at 30-1. I run over to the frontside to give my buddy my half and he tells me he invested a larger amount in another syndicated ticket, so he can't go in on mine. I still wanted to put that ticket in but i needed another single to cut the ticket back. You know what happens next, i took off the winner of a race that i was only 2 deep in. Nobody had 6 that day and i got a great conso 1 time for a couple grand. The syndicate ticket hit a few conso's but missed on Itsallgreektome. Thats a stinger for life!
Thanks Guys . After listening to you fellas I feel better already. Makes my loss seem puny after listening to some of these bad beats. 1 million!! Crap!!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
plainolebill

In Smarty Jones' Derby I bet a bunch of super combos, one of which was Lion Heart over Smarty over Limehouse/Imperialism. I didn't reverse LH & SJ.

Two lousy bucks cost me ~40k.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #15
Fastracehorse

Ouch.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill
In Smarty Jones' Derby I bet a bunch of super combos, one of which was Lion Heart over Smarty over Limehouse/Imperialism. I didn't reverse LH & SJ.

Two lousy bucks cost me ~40k.
....I bet u got alot of "why didn't you's"......

fffastt
Fastracehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply