Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
TrifectaMike

What would you want to have done...

If you had access to a mathematician, an expert horse player, the finances, the desire, and commitment, what type of horse racing selection process would you like to develop?

For example, would you want a Benter Logistic or Probit approach, or a Bayesian Belief Network approach, Jcapper Approach, an actual simulation of the races, an expert system, a genetic algorithm, neural network, etc.

Many may say Benter's approach because of the success in Hong Kong racing, but I'd like to hear your ideas. At some point in this thread I'll give my approach.

Mike (Dr. Beav)
TrifectaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
sjk

Many years ago there was lots of interest in talking about how to develop handicapping software. These days very few on the board seem to be on that path.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
TrifectaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk
Many years ago there was lots of interest in talking about how to develop handicapping software. These days very few on the board seem to be on that path.
If that is true, it is sad.

About a year ago or maybe two years ago, Jeff Platt wrote something in a thread about seeing a professor to get a better understanding on a mathematical concept. At the time, I was shocked that he had considered the approach. It was one of the wisest things I've read on this board.

I don't know if he went any further than just being curious. I'm sure he knows what I am speaking of. If he wants to comment, that is his choice. I will not.

Mike (Dr Beav)
TrifectaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
BIG49010

I did some programing for a guy, about 10 years ago, that was trying to make the Neural network ideas work. He just couldn't seem to make it work, so it will be interesting to hear your comments.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Freightliner

programming

I am working with a statistician and we are working on the theory of really big numbers.
Freightliner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrifectaMike
If you had access to a mathematician, an expert horse player, the finances, the desire, and commitment, what type of horse racing selection process would you like to develop?

For example, would you want a Benter Logistic or Probit approach, or a Bayesian Belief Network approach, Jcapper Approach, an actual simulation of the races, an expert system, a genetic algorithm, neural network, etc.

Many may say Benter's approach because of the success in Hong Kong racing, but I'd like to hear your ideas. At some point in this thread I'll give my approach.

Mike (Dr. Beav)
None of the approaches are attractive to me, but before I give my reason why in a later post I will suggest that you have left out the most important brain, the physicist from your think tank.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

Mike (Dr. Beav)
I have everything except the computer nerd to write me a pick 6 program so i can efficiently invest into america's greatest bet.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
thaskalos

Quote:
I would request that they spare no expense in order to create a way of constructing an accurate odds line...which would, at last, transform the gambler into an investor...

The late Dick Mitchell - ALSO a mathematician and expert horse player - promised me as much when he sold me a SHARP programmable pocket calculator for $399...25 years ago...but, regrettably, he overestimated the device's effectiveness.

Last edited by thaskalos; 04-16-2011 at 09:48 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The late Dick Mitchell - ALSO a mathematician and expert horse player - promised me as much when he sold me a SHARP programmable pocket calculator for $399...25 years ago...but, regrettably, he overestimated the device's effectiveness.
Does this mean I'm screwed?
Freightliner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Greyfox

Quote:
IThe late Dick Mitchell - ALSO a mathematician and expert horse player - promised me as much when he sold me a SHARP programmable pocket calculator for $399...25 years ago...but, regrettably, he overestimated the device's effectiveness.
Mitchell knew his math but he wasn't a mathetmatician.
Regrettably, you overestimated the device's effectiveness when you purchased it, for $399 ...25 years ago...which would be a lot more today.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Mitchell knew his math but he wasn't a mathetmatician.
Regrettably, you overestimated the device's effectiveness when you purchased it, for $399 ...25 years ago...which would be a lot more today.
Greyfox...

If you are going to pick a fight with me...at least make the effort to get your facts straight.

I would like to refer you to the back of Mitchell's book "Commonsense Handicapping"...where the famed handicapping author James Quinn has posted the following quote:

"Only a decade ago, Dick Mitchell was a better MATHEMATICIAN and computer scientist than he was a handicapper. Now he is better-than-good at all three."

It is common knowledge that Dick Michell was indeed a mathematician...and he returned to teaching math toward the end of his life...after his "retirement" from thoroughbred handicapping.

Last edited by thaskalos; 04-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
Greyfox

Quote:
Greyfox...

If you are going to pick a fight with me...at least make the effort to get your facts straight.

Geez. Who's picking a fight with you?? Commenting on what you are saying is not "picking a fight."
I thought Mitchell's expertise was Economics.
You are correct. I was wrong. Here is his obituary:
http://www.cynthiapublishing.com/dickmitchell.html

Never the less, you missed the main point I was making.
You thaskalos overestimated the device's effectiveness and paid $399. I wasn't wrong about that.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #13
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

What I really would like is someone with a keen eye in judging t'breds in the flesh to accompany me to the paddock before each race. Just about any trainer will do (and I mean ANY trainer...sat next to one of the worst trainers I've ever seen at FG for a few years. He couldn't train 'em, but he could see which horse was off or sore just by watching them in the paddock. Good info imo)
Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #14
thelyingthief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightliner
I am working with a statistician and we are working on the theory of really big numbers.
wow, I didn't know that really big numbers was a theory. In fact, I can spin off a really big number without theorizing whatsoever.

fer instance: 12312515565756351656998796546161549984977700078411 11000_
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000_

This is a considerably large number. I could have made it larger.

tlt-
thelyingthief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
What I really would like is someone with a keen eye in judging t'breds in the flesh to accompany me to the paddock before each race. Just about any trainer will do (and I mean ANY trainer...sat next to one of the worst trainers I've ever seen at FG for a few years. He couldn't train 'em, but he could see which horse was off or sore just by watching them in the paddock. Good info imo)
The actual warmup on the track will tell you more than a paddock inspection. At least it does for me. If a horse is sore, he won't 'unravel' in the paddock as much as he might unravel with 115 lbs on his back and being aggressively warmed up. Once that jock gets aboard and starts to warmup the horse, you might be able to tell more than if the horse is just standing there calmly being held by a shank.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply