Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #31
Longshot

In which one of his books does William Quirin explain the process he uses to arrive at his Pace and Speed figs? I'm trying to write an Equisim FV that will
reproduce the numbers, especially the Quirin Pace and Speed, that I get from the DOS MPH program. The Bris conversion formula that was posted a while back does not match the MPH numbers, especially the Pace numbers.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #32
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot
In which one of his books does William Quirin explain the process he uses to arrive at his Pace and Speed figs? I'm trying to write an Equisim FV that will
reproduce the numbers, especially the Quirin Pace and Speed, that I get from the DOS MPH program. The Bris conversion formula that was posted a while back does not match the MPH numbers, especially the Pace numbers.
It's in a book titled 'Thoroughbred Handicapping: State Of The Art' and it is a great read. It was the first handicapping book I ever bought and I still have it around. Some DRF past performance stuff is outdated as the book came out around 1985, but the other content is great. Amazon has it for about $5 or less I bet.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #33
Longshot

Thanks Phantom. I'll see if I can find a copy.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #34
Longshot

I found a copy at Abe Books for $2.75

Thanks again
Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #35
bill evans

Quirin figures software

I bought the MPH program after starting this thread. The Quirin figures it produces do not match those done by hand calculation. I believe this is because the program is no longer supported by updated pars which is the essential element of the methodology. We need an updated and supported version of MPH or another program, hopefully the new RDSS, which includes the figures and offers annual par updates similar to what Cynthia Publishing offers with its programs.
bill evans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quirin figures software
Bill Evans

Quote:
I bought the MPH program after starting this thread. The Quirin figures it produces do not match those done by hand calculation. I believe this is because the program is no longer supported by updated pars which is the essential element of the methodology. We need an updated and supported version of MPH or another program, hopefully the new RDSS, which includes the figures and offers annual par updates similar to what Cynthia Publishing offers with its programs.
You can always add the updated Par times manually to MPH and use
either Gordon Pine's or Dave Schwartz's par times with a high level of confidence and accuracy. For my money, I personally would not chance anything else.

If you decide to go with something new, I suggest you try it before you buy it and see if it works for you.

To my knowledge and I'm always open for correction, there is only one source that can accurately identify The running style of a horse in conjuntion with Quirin speed points. It seems as though this has been an issue with most software products and programmers.

Last edited by Partsnut; 07-13-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #37
tryto

Bill,
Would you mind saying where you purchased the MPH Program ??

Thanks ER
tryto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill evans
You can put in your own pars in the set up screen.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #39
Partsnut
BetMix User

tryto
Quote:
Bill,
Would you mind saying where you purchased the MPH Program ??

Thanks
ER

Actually, I don't use or have a need for any software. I use PaceAppraiser and have been using it successfully for years. MPH is not an option for me. I don't own a copy.
If you want to buy MPH, Trackmaster sells it.

Last edited by Partsnut; 07-13-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut
Actually, I don't use or have a need for any software. I use PaceAppraiser and have been using it successfully for years.
Pace Appraiser is software.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #41
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
PaceAdvantageQuote:
Actually, I don't use or have a need for any software. I use PaceAppraiser and have been using it successfully for years.

Pace Appraiser is software.
Being that PaceAppraiser is an internet subscription based service which is driven by software, I stand corrected. Realistically, I am not buying the software, I am buying the service. This is not a service or software that I am stuck with.
I can discontinue it at any time. I don't have to own it or make any sort of monetary, up front committments, I use it as I need it and when I choose to without committing to any protracted data plans. It works for me.

Last edited by Partsnut; 07-14-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #42
speed

Quote:
Being that PaceAppraiser is an internet subscription based service which is driven by software, I stand corrected. Realistically, I am not buying the software, I am buying the service. This is not a service or software that I am stuck with.
I can discontinue it at any time. I don't have to own it or make any sort of monetary, up front committments, I use it as I need it and when I choose to without committing to any protracted data plans. It works for me.
Please, you are buying the software. Only it is monthly.If you use it for a year it costs you $240.00. Most vendors charge by the year, Randy chooses to charge by the month is all. You are right if you want to use it for a month it is $19.95 plus your data charges.

Continued success with it. Randy like most vendors on here are good for the business.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #43
bill evans

This is an update to my original inquiry. I am still looking for someone who can write a program for my personal use which imports the past performances from PTS or similar monthly rate provider and computes the Quirin pace and speed figures using commercially available par times like Cynthia Publishing sells and updates annually. I don't need or want anything else and will pay a fair price for the program. As noted in my earlier post, Trackmaster MPH had it but does not support the old program via updated pars. Please let me know if there is a person out there who has a program or can write one for me. Thanks, Bill.
bill evans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #44
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill evans
This is an update to my original inquiry. I am still looking for someone who can write a program for my personal use which imports the past performances from PTS or similar monthly rate provider and computes the Quirin pace and speed figures using commercially available par times like Cynthia Publishing sells and updates annually. I don't need or want anything else and will pay a fair price for the program. As noted in my earlier post, Trackmaster MPH had it but does not support the old program via updated pars. Please let me know if there is a person out there who has a program or can write one for me. Thanks, Bill.

i could easily do this with my program, but computers are not my bailiwick and it was so long ago that my i.t. consultant helped me set up my system that i would most assuredly forget something if i tried to help you.

i don't know where you are located, but if you are ever by pen on a friday i'd be able to look at your system and could easily call my computer expert with any questions and probably set you up with the program in an hour or two. btw, i use bris.

back online here for starters: you have ms access, yes??
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply