Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
highnote

Speed figure software

Is anyone interested in commercial software for making speed and pace figures?

If so, what features would be important?

How much would you be willing to pay?

The reason I ask is that I wrote software for a friend to make speed figures. He has been using it for about 5 years and he asks me to tweak per his specifications on occasion. It is pretty sophisticated at this point. He makes speed figures for most of Europe. The UK and Argentina and soon the N. America. It is mostly automated. And makes projected daily variants. The variants can then be used to make speed figures.

I will not make any money off of his software or my own (the last thing I want to do is sell commercial software -- been there and done that), but I am curious to see if there is any interest in the idea.

I had written some figure making software for myself 10+ years ago. The numbers generated were Quirin style speed and pace. But I added a few twists from Charles Carroll's excellent book. It could also make Beyer style or Charles Carroll style figs according to how you configured it.

My biggest score was the Cigar/L'Carriere exacta in the Breeders' Cup. L'Carriere had a huge pace number coming into the race and he was 50-1 or thereabouts!

I also wrote a different piece of software to make Turf figures like James Quinn writes about in his book.

It's not an easy thing to do. So I can see why people buy commercial figs. It is also tough to keep up with the volume of work -- even when done by computer. That's why some services only cover major tracks.

Anyway, looking forward to what people have to say about this.

Thanks.

Last edited by swetyejohn; 09-17-2006 at 04:41 PM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
shoelessjoe

The turf figures sound really interesting,I use his come home times theory which works very well.I would definitely be interested in it.Shoeless
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
Is anyone interested in commercial software for making speed and pace figures?
Lots and lots of people are interested.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Lots and lots of people are interested.
Is there any commericial speed figure making software on the market? If so, what is it? If not, why?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Yes, mine. I thought it was common knowledge here at PA. I removed the link in my signature, but not in my profile if you are curious.

Last edited by cj; 09-18-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yes, mine. I thought it was common knowledge here at PA. I removed the link in my signature, but not in my profile if you are curious.

Cool. I'll check it out. I commend you. It is a lot of work to develop something like that. I had thought about selling my speed figure software over the years, but I decided I did not want to deal with customer support. I did that for a long time with the Dr. Z toteboard browser software I sold. I spent more money in the form of time talking people through how to use it that it didn't seem worth selling anymore.

Plus, just all the time it would take to develop the product to get it to a commercial level and make it user friendly did not excite me. I like making software for my own use. I don't like having to write manuals. If I want to remember how my software works I can just look at the raw code.

Last edited by swetyejohn; 09-18-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #7
lefthandlow

software

John,,
count me in on your software as yours is always top notch.If the data source is free, I'd be willing to pay in the 200-400 range.Hope this is about
what you'd be asking.. LL pat
lefthandlow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
highnote

Pat,

Great to hear from you. Hope you and your family are well!

I'm not selling any software -- too much work for not enough return. I was just curious as to what is on the market. Cj said he sells something. His is the only speed figure software I know of.

However, CJ, I couldn't find the link to your software on your website.

Later,
John
Old 09-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
BIG49010

I would be interested, I have been making figures for a long time, and I am always interested in tweaking the process.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
However, CJ, I couldn't find the link to your software on your website.

Later,
John
I sell the software. A sample of the output of the software is here.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I sell the software. A sample of the output of the software is here.
I had seen that page. I see it is not for sale.

I guess it's kind of like the old Sartin software -- he would only allow so many users.

So to my knowledge yours is still the only commercial speed figure making software available. But there is a catch... it's not available.

Actually, what is needed is a piece of software that makes daily variants. That is the hard part -- figuring out the track speed. Once you have measured that then you can assign any kind of number to it.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Actually, what is needed is a piece of software that makes daily variants. That is the hard part -- figuring out the track speed. Once you have measured that then you can assign any kind of number to it.
I have that as well, but it is just to do the grunt work. You still need a human touch in my opinion. I don't sell the variant program, I just send out the variants weekly, and the program reads them and uses them in the calculations.

What is also needed is a program that makes pars to account in differences from track to track. A 1:10 6f race might average a 44 pace at one track, and a 45 at another. It all ties together.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
highnote

Now I get it. Thanks for clarifying that. I should have thought this post through a little more.

What I really, really should be asking is:

"Is there a commericial daily variant making program on the market?"

The software I wrote for my friend is a program that makes a daily variant. In fact, it makes a "projected daily variant".

It uses a variation of par times. He calls them "Standard Times". Basically, they are the times that the same Grade One superhorse would earn at a given distance at a given track. In reality, they could be times that 10K claimer could earn. The idea is that the times need to be relevant from track to track.

His software only makes final time daily variants because he does not have access to sectional times like we do here in N. America.

But the even bigger question is:

"If software to make a daily variant was available, would enough people buy it to make it a viable program?. And if so, what features would it need?"

PS
CJ
Do you only make figures for major tracks, or for all tracks?

Last edited by swetyejohn; 09-18-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #14
Bruddah
Veteran

Count me in

to any of the above. Added to the use of my present and excellent program,(JCapper) it should mean a few more good plays based on good information. As for me, I only play a couple of tracks. I definitely like the idea of having a predictive daily variant.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
PS
CJ
Do you only make figures for major tracks, or for all tracks?

Nearly all, though not some of the smallest. Maybe once I'm retired. Tracks such as LA, BRD, Hst, Alb, etc., are not covered.