Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
tribecaagent
Veteran

Walking out of the clubhouse with $1 million......??

Has anyone ever cashed or known of a $1million+ score? I certainly haven't and don't recall hearing or even reading of such.

Curious to hear about any.
tribecaagent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaagent
Has anyone ever cashed or known of a $1million+ score? I certainly haven't and don't recall hearing or even reading of such.

Curious to hear about any.
Tribeca, if you cash a million dollar score---I'll walk outta the track behind you, and follow you SO I CAN SEE WHERE YOU LIVE.

And after the post I wrote last night, darlin' . . . . that could be a scary thing!!!

(Hopefully you know, I'm kidding you here.)
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
DJofSD
Screw PC

I have a recollection of a guy hitting the P6 at Hollywood park in the early 1990's. He demanded he get paid in cash but whether it was $1MM, I don't recall. What I do remember is he hopped a cab to go to LAX for a trip to Las Vegas but got murdered and his money stolen.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
boomman

Thumbs up Big scores

Several years ago, a guy sitting a couple of rows over from me in the mezanine boxes @ Del Mar (he'll remain nameless on the forum) was getting mobbed by his buddies when David Flores went wire to wire on a 32x1 shot in the nightcap. He had just hit the pick 6 (if memory serves as I KNOW it was well over a million) for around $1.6 million!

Boomer
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
Several years ago, a guy sitting a couple of rows over from me in the mezanine boxes @ Del Mar (he'll remain nameless on the forum) was getting mobbed by his buddies when David Flores went wire to wire on a 32x1 shot in the nightcap. He had just hit the pick 6 (if memory serves as I KNOW it was well over a million) for around $1.6 million!

Boomer

Would you happen to know if that ticket was bet on track or via ADW account? The reason I ask is because while I will usually bet through the windows/SAM when at the track, since Breeders Cup 2004 I have a policy whereby I will bet any wagers that I think have the potential for a significant payout via my ADW account which are basically all Pick 6 tickets and a good portion of Pick 4 and Super tickets. If its the Breeders Cup I will also bet trifectas on account to avoid wasting so much time with W2-Gs.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
boomman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
Would you happen to know if that ticket was bet on track or via ADW account? The reason I ask is because while I will usually bet through the windows/SAM when at the track, since Breeders Cup 2004 I have a policy whereby I will bet any wagers that I think have the potential for a significant payout via my ADW account which are basically all Pick 6 tickets and a good portion of Pick 4 and Super tickets. If its the Breeders Cup I will also bet trifectas on account to avoid wasting so much time with W2-Gs.
Theresia: Good morning! This particular bet I know was made on track because they were all gushing over the ticket! (Can't say I blame them, LOL) Believe it or not, the guy actually singled the $65 horse in the nightcap............

Boomer
Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
Theresia: Good morning! This particular bet I know was made on track because they were all gushing over the ticket! (Can't say I blame them, LOL) Believe it or not, the guy actually singled the $65 horse in the nightcap............

Boomer
I haven't seen anyone hit one that big, but I did see a guy hit the twin trifecta cold for over $200,000. I heard the guy was basically broke going in. He wasn't broke going out.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I have a recollection of a guy hitting the P6 at Hollywood park in the early 1990's. He demanded he get paid in cash but whether it was $1MM, I don't recall. What I do remember is he hopped a cab to go to LAX for a trip to Las Vegas but got murdered and his money stolen.
It was $70k. He was staying in a motel "near the track." The year was 1991 but that is all I recall. No, let me guess the date: It was the week that MTH opened. I was doing a seminar - May 28th-30th at MTH that year and I remember a guy talking about it happening just a day or two before.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
boomman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest
I haven't seen anyone hit one that big, but I did see a guy hit the twin trifecta cold for over $200,000. I heard the guy was basically broke going in. He wasn't broke going out.
I've seen several nice twin trifecta scores as well, (even hit a few nice ones myself along the way but nothing approaching that amount ) but my best twin trifecta story is back several years ago when Turf Paradise had a $1 million dollar carryover in the twin and the big bettors arrived on the scene from virtually EVERYWHERE to play it (that was before online wagering). Anyway, several of the big betting syndicates put together tickets of $50k or more. The good news for them was they hit it, the bad news was: so did many others! The twin returned less than 25K!

Boomer
Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
boomman

The 2 biggest pick 6 tickets won at Del Mar

This actually appeared originally in the blood horse: A California and Del Mar record Pick Six payoff was set Aug. 1 when a single ticket containing all six winners was worth $2,100,117.

With a two-day carryover of $717,343 and $2,490,228 wagered Sunday, there was a total Pick Six pool of $3,207,571.

Winning Pick Six horses, all non-favorites for races four through nine, were Gent, $11; Smokette, $17.60; Short Route, $106.20; Ya Lajwaad, $15.40; Choctaw Nation, $14.60, and Golden Souvenir, $8.20. The winning ticket was purchased on track at Del Mar for $1,176.

The Pick Six payoff eclipsed that of $1,528,818.60 paid out last year on the same calendar day – Aug. 1, 2003. That was the previous state record as well.

The ticket that actually paid 1.5 million (above on 8-1-03) was the one that I witnessed.... Wow time REALLY flies, can't believe it was that long ago

Boomer
Old 02-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
BlueShoe

Just for fun, how much would a million bucks in hundred dollar bills weigh and how bulky would the package be? Ten thousand of them would be a very large, bulky, heavy burden, would imagine. If I ever have the experience, will let everyone know, in the meantime, if I ever make a really large score, will keep my trap shut, keep a very low profile, leave, and come back the next day and ask for a check.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD

I remember that...It was a big deal in the local papers, but I do not know if they caught the guy(s) or not or what happened on follow up. Was it hushed up or?

P.S., I think it was at a motel as another poster has said.

Never let anyone know you are carrying a lot of money.

Last edited by rwwupl; 02-20-2010 at 01:11 PM.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
I remember that...It was a big deal in the local papers, but I do not know if they caught the guy(s) or not or what happened on follow up. Was it hushed up or?

P.S., I think it was at a motel as another poster has said.

Never let anyone know you are carrying a lot of money.

I believe Richie "fingers" was involved and it was the Cockatoo near Hollywood Park. I think the amount was more like 70k or 150k.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Pace Cap'n

When Remington Park opened in 1988 (?) they offered the recently minted Pic-6 wager, and apparently no one in the state had a clue, as they were having some huge carryovers, with several at or near a million.

One that I recall was hit for a mil, but was not cashed for several days. Finally a lady showed up at the track in the morning before it opened and walked out with a large shopping bag full of cash, according to newspaper accounts at the time.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Bettowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Just for fun, how much would a million bucks in hundred dollar bills weigh and how bulky would the package be? Ten thousand of them would be a very large, bulky, heavy burden, would imagine. If I ever have the experience, will let everyone know, in the meantime, if I ever make a really large score, will keep my trap shut, keep a very low profile, leave, and come back the next day and ask for a check.
Not as much as you would think:

20.4 LBs to be correct.

Does not include the weight of "straps" around the individual $50,000 "bricks"
Bettowin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply