Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 10-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Teach

Freehold Raceway: Saturday, October 24

“They talk about Texas, Kentucky and Maine,
They talk about London, Paris and Spain,
But there’s a little island I long there to be,
Prince Edward Island is heaven to me.”

Actually, I’m not from Prince Edward Island. I was born about halfway between Vernon Downs and Batavia Raceway. Yet that song that extols the virtues of P.E.I. is a lead-in to my pick in Saturday’s opener.

Race One:

You may have deduced that my selection is a 20-1 M/L longshot, #6 REST ASSURED. This Nova Scotia-bred 3-year old gelding ships down from “The Maritimes” for Today’s Freehold opener (his stable-mate, Howmac Napoleon, won last Saturday’s finale). Don’t let the times fool you at places like Charlottesville, Summerside and Inverness. Those half-mile ovals tend to be slower than ones down here. Eric Abbatiello is in the bike for trainer Mike Russo. Will he go to the top...and not look back? Others that bear watching are: #1 BLAKE NORTH. If he ever “wakes up,” watch out! #4 TEST RIDE gets an improved starting post. This Mach Three-bred closed well to complete the superfecta in last Saturday’s finale. “Irish Joe” Hanney handles the reins. Two other horses, I’m taking a closer look at are: #5 VICTORYDAZE WILWIN and #3 BUCKEYE CHROME.

Race Two:

#2 COPPER TEEN gets my nod in the second half of the early double. This 2-year old bay colt did not run his best race against 2-year old company down in Philadelphia (actually Chester). He finished next-to-last. Today, this American Ideal-bred is facing older horses, but I believe he should be able to handle the challenge. Austin Siegelman is in the sulky for trainer Aaron Lambert. Another horse I’m looking at is #5 LOOK AND SEA. This Captaintreacherous-bred colt went off at better than 65-1 odds in his last. He was nailed in deep stretch by a 1/9 shot. This Eric Abbatiello-driven colt is capable of hitting the board. #6 DRAGON SAID picked up the pieces in the LOOK AND SEA race. If Steve Smith puts this Well Said-bred gelding into contention sooner, he might be able to mount a late-closing charge. If you’re looking for a surprise to complete your exotic, you might consider #1 BRICKYARD VELTIC. This Western Ideal-bred hasn’t shown much (he’s winless in 42 starts); yet to complete a superfecta that might add value to your ticket; it’s not out of the question.

Race Three:

#3 MISTER INDIANA got parked out at Philadelphia in his last and was no threat as a 7-1 shot. This Quality Western-bred fits well in this field. This 8-year old won’t run the times he did at Philadelphia, but he should be fast enough to defeat this field. Austin Siegelman is in the sulky for trainer Mike Posner. #2 ARTISTIC CRUISER nearly got up in time to win his last. This Artistic Fella-bred should be competitive in this field. Eric Abbatiello -- “EA, He’s In The Game” -- picks up the drive for owner-trainer Ray Ahto. If you’re lookin’ for “a sleeper,” a horse that might surprise, at a price? Consider: #5 WICKED BUSINESS. The switch from the regular driver to Troy Beyer is significant. This Jate Lobell-bred has faced better. Tony Romano owns and trains. Then there’s a horse that’s capable of completing an exotic, #1 GYPSY LEATHER. Vinny Ginsburg reprises the drive for trainer Paul Fusco.

Race Four:

#2 CHILLAXIN AWAY is my pick. In his last, this 4-year old gelding was overmatched at “Phillie.” He’s now in with the kind he can defeat. This Dream Away-bred should be up close throughout the race. Steve Smith has the call for trainer Paul Fusco. #1 TIME WATCH would appear to be the main competition. Vinny Ginsburg urged this horse to the front last week and he never looked back. Yet he does step up in competition. It would appear that this Captain Treacherous-bred will take a lot of the action at the windows. I’m not sayin’ he’s not capable of winning, it just that I believe #2 is the: “value-play.” Now that I’ve extolled the virtues of what I believe are the two top-picks, I’ll throw another name into the mix that could, if the top two fail, get all the enchiladas. I’m talkin’ about #5 BLACK DAN with Eric Abbatiello. This 4-year old finished 2nd in his last at just under 2-1 odds. He can’t be ignored. Dave Wiskow trains. Then there’s #4 NORTHERN ROCK. Troy Beyer drives for Allie Reynolds.

Race Five:

#2 MAASTER BLUE is my tepid, lukewarm pick in this amateur trot. Last week, in this same race, Matt Zuccarello, the Herr Foods sales rep., lit up the Freehold tote board as he rode the passing lane to victory. His gelding, LATOKA, paid nearly $100. MAASTER BLUE, the John Novello owned and trained gelding, runs “evenly” which means he should be there as the horses make the turn at the top of the stretch. Others I’m looking at are: #6 MUGSHOT JESS (He may go “chalk”; if he leaves, he’s dangerous); #3 FIJI (Lately, he’s been getting voted off the island; it may just be me, but he looks like he has trouble “cornering” on Freehold’s tight turns). Finally, #1 SOUTHWIND DORIAN might just mop up an exotic.

Race Six:

#1 WESTERN BAYAMA draws the rail after a plethora over mid-pack and outside starting posts. That #1 post could make all the difference in the world for this Lis Mara-bred 8-year old. Mitchell Cushing - his roots go back to Maine’s Scarborough Downs - Ayeh, is in the bike for trainer “Yogi” Sheridan. Others: #2 WINNING LINC with Daniel Dube. #4 JUNIOR’S DEW with Eric Abbatiello and #6 SOSSY’S KING KONG with Vinny Ginsburg,

Race Seven:

#5 IN THE COTTON is my upset try in this 56K this NJ Sire Stakes 2-year-old fillies’ final. Daniel Dube – he has well over 9,000 career wins – reprises the ride for trainer Ron Coyne. IN HIGH COTTON won going away last week in this 2-year-old sire-stakes company. The main threat and likely favorite is #1 PODIUM GIRL. She recently finished second in The Simpson at Philadelphia. Her time was a sizzling 1:53.3 on a sloppy track. George Brennan is in the sulky. Two other horses to consider are: #2 ALWAYS B LAUGHIN with Marcus Miller and SUMMER RAE with Austin Siegelman.

Race Eight:

#2 KEYSTONE HONOR ships in from the ol’ hilltop course, Yonkers Raceway. This 9-year old ridgling faced better; he finished 5th. This Bettor’s Delight-bred draws inside. That should enhance his chances of gracing the winner’s circle. George Brennan has the call. #3 THERESAPACEFORUS could add value to your ticket. This American Ideal-bred has missed a week, but if he’s reasonably ready… This 9-year old could do little against much better at “The Big M” in his last. He now meets the kind he can compete with. Marcus Miller is in the sulky. Others to consider are: #6 ANNIHILATION and #1 PAPIAMENTO.

Race Nine:

#4 THESPYWHOLOVEDME is my upset try. This 8-year old Art Major-bred gelding has been playing “best man” (two seconds) of late. Is today the day he takes his “vows,” i.e., gets his picture taken? Daniel Dube is in the bike for owner-trainer Adrienne Hall. Others to consider are: #1 ART MAGIC with Austin Siegelman for trainer Chris Height. #2 ON ACCIDENT with Mitchell Cushing for trainer Tim Lancaster, and #8 DEEDENUTO A with Steve Smith for trainer Karen Garland.

Race Ten:

#5 VASARI N, the New Zealand-bred, is my pick in this pace. This Art Major-bred has faced much better throughout his racing career. He now takes on company he’s capable of beating. Austin Siegelman reprises the drive for trainer Mike Posner. Another horse I’m considering is #3 PERFECT BET. Jeff Dauplaise (I remember his father, Norm) has the call. Others to consider are #6 TAKEITTOTHEFACE with Vinny Ginsburg for trainer Paul Fusco and #7 CLINT WESTWOOD with Daniel Dube for trainer Bill Mackenzie.

Race Eleven:

#7 STAKEOUT is my longshot try. This Cambest-bred 7-year old is capable of “leaving” from his 7-hole starting position and the top. If he does, he’s “a player.” Eric Abbatiello picks up the drive for owner-trainer Phil Jasper. The “logical” here is #4 LOVE THE ACTION. Mitchell Cushing is in the bike for trainer Ron Burke. #8 HAYMITCH could get part despite his outside starting post. Marcus Mill’s in the sulky for Vince Stallworth. #3 FRANKANDJOANNE could be part. Steve Smith for trainer Dawn Anderson.

Race Twelve:

#8 SAY YOU is my longshot pick in the Freehold finale. Much is predicated on this horse “leaving.” If he does…? Eric Abbatiello picks up the drive for trainer Andrew Harris. Others I’m considering are: #2 MISTER TRUTH with Austin Siegelman, #3 SENIOR MARKET with Steve Smith, and #4 PROM KING with Irish-Joe Hanney.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply