Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
grexxon

Handi-Fast

Been using this program or awhile now. Today when I went to use it a window popped up saying Comdlg32.ocx is not registered or a file is missing or invalid.
Need help, what can I do

Thanks
George
grexxon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
togatrigger

Check to see if the file exists (search the windows/WINNT directory), and if it does, go into run and type, regsvr32 then the location of the file. This will register the library file with the computer.

If it doesn't exist, you'll have to obtain the file, and then register it.
togatrigger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
thoroughbred

Comdlg32.ocx is not registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by grexxon
Been using this program or awhile now. Today when I went to use it a window popped up saying Comdlg32.ocx is not registered or a file is missing or invalid.
Need help, what can I do

Thanks
George
I invoked "Google" and entered: "Comdlg32.ocx is not registered"
Found many links that discuss this problem. Some may even suggest a fix.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

Try the solution in this thread as another user had a similar problem:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...t=Comdlg32.ocx

Read posts 18-22, and use the link in Post 19.

And just to clarify, the ocx error is for Doug's FAST version not Handifast. Handifast can be used as a stand-alone program and doesn't need to register anything with Windows. Doug made it easy for users to use both programs by creating an installer program and having the ability to launch Handifast from within FAST.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
douglasw32
douglasw32

Try This

If it does not work try adding these to your system....

(dot) net
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

VB runtimes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192461

Library files
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/libraryfiles.exe
Old 12-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
cloud9

doug. A new update still in the works ?
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
douglasw32
douglasw32

I hope so, the other two are in the midst of that as I last knew.

I would just package it up and host the install file on the new one since it would be just one program and not two different ones at that point?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
headhawg
crusty old guy

I have some users email me with the update question. I have not been able to work on Handifast due to time constraints. I have a new job which keeps me very busy, and in my little amount of free time I have a couple of other projects (including my own handicapping program) that have taken priority. (And truth be told I was also kind of p.o.'d at the negative comments unleashed in the Handifast version X thread.)

The things that I would like to add to Handifast HHX require a lot of work and time which I am not able to commit to right now. One feature is an AutoScratch utility, and another is to have the ability to do batch processing -- that is, a way to create the csv files by a range of dates as opposed to doing them one at a time. Doing that would make it a lot easier to research the ratings in Handifast for those who want to see what works and what doesn't. And also adding the capability of using multiple weight files.

The last I heard is that Handi is still working on the multi-track version so maybe he will give us an update on his progress.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
I have some users email me with the update question. I have not been able to work on Handifast due to time constraints. I have a new job which keeps me very busy, and in my little amount of free time I have a couple of other projects (including my own handicapping program) that have taken priority. (And truth be told I was also kind of p.o.'d at the negative comments unleashed in the Handifast version X thread.)

The things that I would like to add to Handifast HHX require a lot of work and time which I am not able to commit to right now. One feature is an AutoScratch utility, and another is to have the ability to do batch processing -- that is, a way to create the csv files by a range of dates as opposed to doing them one at a time. Doing that would make it a lot easier to research the ratings in Handifast for those who want to see what works and what doesn't. And also adding the capability of using multiple weight files.

The last I heard is that Handi is still working on the multi-track version so maybe he will give us an update on his progress.

HH, don't let the naysayers get to you. Some of them sound like they wandered over here from the OT board, with all the negativity. I, and many others appreciate the talents of people like you, Doug and Handi. What you guys have done so far is wonderful. I am sure that anything you guys add to the program, will be just as good, or better. In the meantime, enjoy your job. I've been out of work since Jan., and would love a new job, to occupy my time.
Thanks for what you guys so generously share with the rest of us.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
HH, don't let the naysayers get to you. Some of them sound like they wandered over here from the OT board, with all the negativity. I, and many others appreciate the talents of people like you, Doug and Handi. What you guys have done so far is wonderful. I am sure that anything you guys add to the program, will be just as good, or better. In the meantime, enjoy your job. I've been out of work since Jan., and would love a new job, to occupy my time.
Thanks for what you guys so generously share with the rest of us.
I agree! If you're doing something for free, like this program and my Excel spreadsheet, you can't let negative comments, from people who won't be using the program, deter you. Listen to active users, who appreciate the time and effort you are putting into it. If these active users' wants and needs can be produced, and they make sense to you as being a positive, regarding the program, then that is what you should concentrate on. But, do it in your own time, after all, you're not getting paid for the work and those who really appreciate your efforts will be willing to wait.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
HH, don't let the naysayers get to you.
H, I was going to post the same thing yesterday but I got distracted. Job comes first but I know through our communications that when you have time, you generously give it to enhance Doug and Handi's and now, your work.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should feel free to post, hopefully in a reasonable manner. Contrary opinions can help enhance what we've got.

I think you're pretty familiar with how I use the program playing SoCal only for the most part, but here's a couple from yesterday that are not atypical:

Race 9: Top FAST & PWR #. Asay Creek $16.20

Race 8: Top PWR # tie. Zardana $24.00

Race 7: Top PWR #. Kris Silver $12.00

Race 6: Win and place were 1st time starters.

Race 5: Top PWR #. Aquicksting $8.40 (This guy was 1-25, running at his lowest class ever, and bet down from his 6-1 ML - not a bet for me - risk vs. reward. Mel Stute and Bill Thomas must have laid a nice bet as well)

Race 4: Top FAST and 3-way tie for Top PWR #. Smokenomore $7.40

Race 3: Riviera Cocktail was too low ranked to get either in FAST or PWR. As you know, I do my points SOLELY on 4 factors: DS, FM, PC, TF with 100 points on each. Yes, the TF factor seems to work very well for Polytrack).
On that basis, Riviera and the place horse were tied for 1st with 250 points each. Guess I got lucky.

Win mutuel: $16.00 $1 exacta: $27.10

Race 2: Top PWR #. Gambling Pokerface $13.80

Race 1: 2nd PWR #. Skippy Due $13.40

Yesterday was a bit atypical maybe insofar as the # of winners contained in the top FAST and PWR numbers and their mutuels but really, for a free program that is fairly automatic, if you stick with it, it is pretty amazing.

For non poly players, I did play MNR on a lark on 11-21. I know nothing about MNR, how it plays, etc. Only change I made was to switch the 100 pts. from TF to DT.

While the FAST and PWR #'s produce nada until the 7th race, my 3rd "points" horses in Race 1 and Race 4 produced nice mutuels: Bevy $21.40 and Unsung Angels $14.40.

The 7th race was the gift where the 2nd PWR # produced a $51.80 mutuel - Loot Tooten Trudy. She was 4th ranked FAST. The place horse was 3rd ranked FAST/PWR and the show horse was 2nd ranked FAST. They were also my 2nd and 4th ranked points horses. If you play exactas and tris, some pretty nice mutuels.

Basically, to keep it simple, all I try and do is look for value in the top 4 and ties FAST and PWR ranks and in my 4 "points" horses.

The toughest thing for me has been not to disregard or talk myself off program choices because I think they may be ridiculous based on my ingrained handicapping style/knowledge.

In the last at HOL on 12-03, the 4th ranked FAST and my 3rd ranked points horse is a 30-1 ML shot. The horse is going off at 64-1, has a 74 day layoff, non winning trainer and jock, and of his 6 races, he did have a 3rd by 10.25 lengths finish at DMR. He does have a few catalysts, so to speak, but I completely dismiss him.

Well, in a MCL 25K route, the 3rd PWR rank wins @ $14.80. The 4th rank PWR shows and the 1st rank PWR finishes 4th. Our homely friend, Nubian Princess, places @ $43.20 and I still don't have the stomach to look at the exotic mutuels.

I attached the print screen so you can get sick or laugh!

All I can say is stick with a consistent approach and this little free program is strong.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dope.pdf (175.8 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by lsosa54; 12-06-2009 at 01:28 PM.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
SoCaGambler

Thumbs up

This is a truly amazing program these three gentlemen have produced. I’ve only been able to run old files I saved. If I had this little gem of a program in the past I would have had better results.

Many thanks for the generosity of Doug, Handi, and Headhawg’s many hours of hard work. I am really looking forward to playing with this tool as soon as I can.

I am curious as to how Isosa54 was able to change the ratings. I have HandifastHHxv16 however I am unable to change the ratings. I am not sure I really want to from what I have seen so far using my old files. But it would be fun to play around with them.

Again many thanks for sharing.

Best of luck to all.

SoCa
SoCaGambler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaGambler

I am curious as to how Isosa54 was able to change the ratings. I have HandifastHHxv16 however I am unable to change the ratings. I am not sure I really want to from what I have seen so far using my old files. But it would be fun to play around with them.

SoCa
Doug made an early attempt with his text file in early versions of the program (not sure it was Handifast then) but I don't think you can do it in v1.6. I believe HH made a version 2.0 available to those that pm'd him for it and that's what I use at the moment. I know he's working on having multiple "points" configurations available to be saved and used.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
SoCaGambler

Thanks for the quick reply. I will wait and see what the final options will be when completed. The product will be a wonderful addition to anyone handicapping tool box thats for sure.
SoCaGambler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Quick note. Haven't had the energy or thought patterns available lately to get any work done. Haven't been feeling too well. Just been playing a few fun contests at one track for a few days.

Today I have been in bed all day and even skipped a contest I was suppose to play in on Woodbine closing day.

I will get back to things as soon as I get to feeling better.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: