Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #181
shanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
Absolutely....my church gets together with a black Baptist church once a month for an afternoon of preachin, prayin, singin and eatin. They consider Wright to be a renegade that is just seeking publicity. He is an embarrassment to black Christians. The message preached in legitimate black churches is no different from that preached by their white counterparts.

agree 100% G.

My experience is exactly the same as you wrote above when I go with my "young ones" to Mass.

This guy Wright is a jerkoff posing as a pastor.Jerkoffs come in all colors with this particular one happening to be black.
shanta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #182
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge
Wright wasn't talking about the church in bible but the real church as it exists in the world. I take it you have never heard of a Black church. What about a Mexcian church in Mexico?
So, let me see if I have this right: We are to believe there is "the church" -- the only one the bible talks about (but according to you, this isn't the "real" church), and then there are black, white, yellow, brown churches, etc. -- and all these are the "real" churches?

But you are right about one thing: Wright was talking only about a church that exists in his carnal, bigoted, race-baiting, race-pimping imagination that finds its root in his hate-filled heart, and not the only one that God often spoke about through his apostles whose words are recorded in the bible.

Granted, there are predominantly white and black and Hispanic congregations, etc. But to say these are THE white, THE black or The Hispanic church is something else altogether.

I have attended services on several occasions in predominantly black congregations, and I can tell you that those black pastors focused entirely on the spiritual truths found in scripture and did not concern themselves with worldly, political matters from the pulpit. But, yet, Wright in his arrogance and and pride presumes to speak for all such congregations -- i.e. "the black church"!?

Boxcar
Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #183
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
Absolutely....my church gets together with a black Baptist church once a month for an afternoon of preachin, prayin, singin and eatin. They consider Wright to be a renegade that is just seeking publicity. He is an embarrassment to black Christians. The message preached in legitimate black churches is no different from that preached by their white counterparts.
AMEN!!!

Boxcar
Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #184
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbon
Not so fast Box, not so fast. More later tonight…

Only because I know you to be a practicing Christian will I respond to your fallacious query. My racing day is about to begin so in brief:

In the not to distant past Black Americans were whipped, beaten and otherwise forcibly coerced into adapting the Christian religion by our white slave masters. So we did in large numbers. As recently as 1965 Black America was forbidden to congregate with white Christians. Out of necessity we were forced to build our own church experience without support. And now white Christians wish to absolve themselves from this moral dilemma?
Thanks for "history" lesson. But that's not what I asked you. I want you to show me where in scripture the idea of "the black", "the white", "the yellow", "the brown" church is to be found. Just because sinful, professing Christians may have treated Blacks poorly doesn't give license to current day professing black Christians to perpetuate that grievous error by speaking of Christ's universal church in segregationist terms. Two wrongs doth not make a right!

Boxcar

Last edited by boxcar; 04-30-2008 at 01:10 PM.
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #185
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Two wrongs doth not make a right!
Then 'splain Affirmative Action to me????
Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #186
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Then 'splain Affirmative Action to me????
Why do I need to explain it? I have long been opposed to this bigoted policy. Whenever you give preferences to one class of people on the basis of skin color, the implementation of that policy always comes at the expense of some other class of folks of different color.

But, of course, your point is well made; for the megabytes of irony is that this irrational, ill-conceived, immoral policy only perpetuates the divisions between the races -- the very result which its proponents sought to remedy in the first place!

Boxcar
Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #187
Gibbon
DC posts & not banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty
Gibbon, and it's over! White Christians also stopped slavery...
AND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar
professing Christians may have treated Blacks poorly doesn't give license to current day professing black Christians to perpetuate that grievous...
Thanks for the reminder. I have three dozen posts on this key point in various debates here vis-à-vis Christianity v. Atheism v. Eastern Mysticism v. Evolution.

What you can’t seem to fathom is that some are old enough to remember 1950’s & ‘60’s America. Rev. Wright is 60plus years old - old enough to have witnessed first hand Christian Black/White segregation in southern and northern Baptist Churches.

Wright has a right to be bitter. You say: get over it! I say leave the man alone. He does NOT have any influence over your personal lives. Yes he’s distasteful but so are white ostentatiously wealthy preachers distorting God’s word for self glorification. {see post #4}

It is your kind who instituted this divergence upon the church and now you say get over it. Once again, you both lack empathy or any compassion. Why do white people insist on controlling everything including another man’s feelings?
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #188
Greyfox

You started this thread.

Quote:
You say: get over it! I say leave the man alone. He does NOT have any influence over your personal lives.

I just checked back.
Gibbon you started this thread specifically about Jeremiah Wright.
Now you're saying "I say leave the man alone."
If you didn't want anyone "talking about him," why'd you start this thread?

The fact is Rev. Wright's views are a blight on Obama's campaign that is not going to go away easily.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #189
Gibbon
DC posts & not banned?

I started this tread to note Rev. Wright's military accomplishments. There is another side to his personally I wanted to share. There has never been any subterfuge on my part.

It is I who has been repeatedly attacked.
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #190
Greyfox

It's good of you to point out that Rev Wright has some redeeming features. Naturally, I would expect that of a minister in any church.
But if you thought posters here weren't going to take objection to some of his previous absurd comments, then you thought wrong.

You mentioned that you feel under attack here. Sorry if that's the case, but do you make it a practice in life to put yourself in a position where people are going to attack you? Some people do that you know. It seems to me that posting a thread about a controversial figure is going to draw ire one way or another.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #191
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbonPost 18
It is I who am being attacked.
Where in posts 1-17 were you attacked?

Here's where it gets good. Remember your big post #36 when you were going to "school me".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala
I'll try to school you smallmack but I fear your narrow intellectual capabilities may hinder understanding.

Upper socio-economics classes have asserted the poor are the cause of their own poverty or blame the poor for their own condition.
Social Darwinism asserts the poor are poor because they are less fit to survive in society.

My beliefs are that America perpetuates a culture of poverty. Our seductive materialist society frowns on savings while venerates consumption. Individuals like myself can break this cycle, entire neighborhoods cannot. Government must not shirk its responsibility to defend the poor from injustice. If government will not do this, as it has turned a blind eye and deaf ear to stopping narco-terrorist products, govt by inaction, has de facto legalizing drugs. Drugs -- the principle instigator of crime and violence throughout inner city ghettos across America.

Many people slip into poverty through no fault of their own. In these cases, government must help to distribute funds. Unfortunately, the track record of government programs is NOT very impressive. Govt spends monies on its own self perpetuating bureaucracy. Before the implementation of many of the Great Society programs, the percentage of people living below the poverty level was 13.6 percent. Twenty years later, the percentage was still 13.6 percent.

We need a welfare system that emphasizes work and initiative and does not foster dependency and laziness. If people have true needs, we should help them. But when they are lazy and have poor work habits, we should admonish them to improve. Our current welfare system perpetuates poverty by failing to distinguish between those who have legitimate needs and those who need to be admonished in their sloth. Indecently, inflation adjusted welfare payments have declined significantly while corporate welfare has increased significantly under Bush.

I believe poverty relief should be a cooperative effort between the government and the church. As I noted above, government can provide solutions to exploitation and oppression by enforcing existing {drug} laws. It can also provide solutions to economic misfortune through various spending programs. But it cannot solve the problems of poverty by addressing injustice and misfortune alone. Poverty is as much a psychological and spiritual problem as it is an economic problem, and it is in this realm that the church can be most effective. Although salvation is not the sole answer, the church is better equipped than the government to meet the psychological and spiritual needs of poverty-stricken people. Most secular social programs do not place much emphasis on these needs and thus miss an important element in the solution to poverty.

As I stated earlier, one of the causes of poverty is the culture of poverty. People are poor because they are poor. An individual who grows up in a culture of poverty is destined for a life of poverty unless something rather dramatic takes place. Poor nutrition, poor education, poor work habits, and poor family relationships can easily condemn an individual to perpetual poverty.
Was that you or Kerby Anderson? What a complete joke you are. I have many other examples of you posting the words of others as your own. You even edit it to appear as if the words are your own.

Last edited by bigmack; 04-30-2008 at 05:22 PM.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #192
Lefty

Nobody has attacked you Gibbon. My advice is to stop playing the victim and get on with life. There is a lot of opportunity in this country for everyone. Some white people enslved black people but those slaves were not taken by force. They were bought from black people. So there's blame on both sides. If we are to truly meld into a color blind society we must look forward together and not backwards separately.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #193
riskman

Quote:
I started this tread to note Rev. Wright's military accomplishments. There is another side to his personally I wanted to share. There has never been any subterfuge on my part.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #194
The Judge

If

your church meets with a black church my point is made. Out of curiosty why meet with a black church? There must some precived differences but not according to Boxcar.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #195
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

What posts?
I see disagreements with your opinions, and I see many attacks on others by YOU, but I do not see anyone attack YOU.

Last edited by Tom; 04-30-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: