Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Poker

Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #181
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Why not? I've been so generous during my stay here...that the locals are starting to call me "Santa Claus".

When children start sitting in your lap at dinner, you'll that is the time to quit.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #182
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Why not? I've been so generous during my stay here...that the locals are starting to call me "Santa Claus".

pm me. maybe we can play a little? help boost the ratings around here.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #183
how cliche
How Cliche

Well the Lucky Chances game didn't work out well for how cliche. There's a lot of tournaments where you get towards the late stages and you must win a flip. You can see the money and you've fought and clawed to have 25bb stack. Someone loose aggressive opens. Then you look down at AK suited and your stack size dictates you go in pre with it. They call off and you're either healthy approaching the bubble or you're headed to your car. Gentleman, start your engine. So it goes.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #184
dilanesp

Regarding cliche's cooler-- it's very hard to get away from coolers in deep stacked games without good reads. Because you can't really go around folding aces up just because there is one possible straight. That sort of thing makes you ridiculously exploitable.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #185
how cliche
How Cliche

Don't think a 25bb AKs 3b aip vs a 27bb TT open is a cooler as much as it's what we all sign up for as tournament players. In those spots I will likely always embrace the variance and hope to prevail in the penultimate level before the money. I'd rather play for a run than a mincash, because I don't cash often enough for min cashes to be a profitable. On many a main event when those kinds of tv spots run rampant on days 5 and 6 with substantial pay jumps at stake, I've overheard many say, "It's the world series of flipping." Usually the flip winner. Like it or not, it's the grand bargain we've all agreed to. Jmho.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #186
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by how cliche View Post
Don't think a 25bb AKs 3b aip vs a 27bb TT open is a cooler as much as it's what we all sign up for as tournament players. In those spots I will likely always embrace the variance and hope to prevail in the penultimate level before the money. I'd rather play for a run than a mincash, because I don't cash often enough for min cashes to be a profitable. On many a main event when those kinds of tv spots run rampant on days 5 and 6 with substantial pay jumps at stake, I've overheard many say, "It's the world series of flipping." Usually the flip winner. Like it or not, it's the grand bargain we've all agreed to. Jmho.
Tournament poker has ridiculous variance. This is the basic reason I am not a fan of people spending tons of money to play the WSOP. It's basically gambling because it's almost impossible to know if anyone truly has established a positive winrate (and even if someone like Phil Hellmuth has, there are very few of them).

Of course, smaller scale tournaments have the same variance but are so full of bad players that of course they are profitable for good ones.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #187
proximity

you guys coming out to vegas this weekend?
Old 08-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #188
how cliche
How Cliche

This was a pretty big mistake I made last night to end the Sunday grind. I'd regged games all day and was having a slightly losing day, managing just two low level cashes from 12 games. But the 3rd cash enabled a final table run & it guaranteed an at least mildly profitable session in a 33bi 5k guarantee game.

From 212 runners we're down to 5. Began the ft 7/9 so it was a good ft already. OK, to finish 5th pays 415. 1st was 1500 ish. 4th I believe paid 560. Anyway the chip leader was the sb to my bb & I was now 4/5. 4x it had folded to him and he open shoved on me, but my range was indefensible. The 5th time it folded to him he minraised from a 50bb stack instead of forcing me all in. This time I'm holding KQo and have a stack of 16bb. The change of tactics on his part indicated he wanted to induce a shove and I obliged. He had KK and I was out. In a vacuum I made the right move. In the flow of the game I noticed the difference. However, I lectured myself about being exploitable whatnot & gave the villain exactly what he'd hoped for...

Last edited by how cliche; 08-07-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #189
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by how cliche View Post
This was a pretty big mistake I made last night to end the Sunday grind. I'd regged games all day and was having a slightly losing day, managing just two low level cashes from 12 games. But the 3rd cash enabled a final table run & it guaranteed an at least mildly profitable session in a 33bi 5k guarantee game.

From 212 runners we're down to 5. Began the ft 7/9 so it was a good ft already. OK, to finish 5th pays 415. 1st was 1500 ish. 4th I believe paid 560. Anyway the chip leader was the sb to my bb & I was now 4/5. 4x it had folded to him and he open shoved on me, but my range was indefensible. The 5th time it folded to him he minraised from a 50bb stack instead of forcing me all in. This time I'm holding KQo and have a stack of 16bb. The change of tactics on his part indicated he wanted to induce a shove and I obliged. He had KK and I was out. In a vacuum I made the right move. In the flow of the game I noticed the difference. However, I lectured myself about being exploitable whatnot & gave the villain exactly what he'd hoped for...[/QUOTE]
Oh well, no one's perfect, but we did have a similar discussion about reverse tells in posts 146-147, and Dilan's post #153....At least you won't forget what you just learned in your above example.....Onward and upward, just keep getting better everyday..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #190
proximity

didn't get to watch this yet but apparently there's footage of a game friday night at the excalibur. i got a chance to meet the trooper before this game and thought he was a pretty nice guy. seemed a little more laid back irl. told him i enjoyed the videos and thanked him for taking the time to make them.

hope everyone here is well!!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #191
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I can't believe I was in Vegas last week and completely missed out on the fact that you were there too.

I tried to hook up with thaskalos, but he was out of state...

I had a great time nonetheless...played poker at Aria exclusively, and really liked their room.

Was at Rio for Penn & Teller and was pretty shocked to see, at the home of the WSOP, their poker room was not only tiny, but EMPTY. And when I mean empty, there wasn't a SINGLE SOUL playing in there...maybe something was up that I didn't realize, but I found that shocking and sad. Home of WSOP and nobody wants to play there...lol

After the show, when I walked by again, it looked like they had one table going, but it wasn't even full...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2017, 02:00 AM   #192
proximity

proximity runs bad again, lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHsRBlWyx0

didn't get to watch this yet but apparently there's footage of a game friday night at the excalibur. i got a chance to meet the trooper before this game and thought he was a pretty nice guy. seemed a little more laid back irl. told him i enjoyed the videos and thanked him for taking the time to make them.

hope everyone here is well!!
ok I got a chance to watch this and there are shout outs to adam, emma, and some dude who asked about trooper wear at the Excalibur but no shout out to proximity from pa (and pa)?
Old 08-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #193
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
ok I got a chance to watch this and there are shout outs to adam, emma, and some dude who asked about trooper wear at the Excalibur but no shout out to proximity from pa (and pa)?
What happened to that blonde gal named Molly who was with Trooper a few months ago?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2017, 02:16 AM   #194
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I can't believe I was in Vegas last week and completely missed out on the fact that you were there too....
that really sucks since I've already met tom (derby) and cj (Preakness) and meeting you (Belmont) would complete what I call the paceadvantage triple crown!!

I took some notes on my phone and will try to make some reports when I get time.

I flew back to dulles and ended my summer vacation tonight at Charles town and must say it was kind of sad when I saw longtime bartender tracy working in the racing section. I remember she was working that very same bar on the night that I met my first paceadvantage members track collector, cj and cj's dad dennis who kept tracy busy filling my glass. dennis, we miss you dearly my friend.....
Old 08-12-2017, 02:17 AM   #195
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
What happened to that blonde gal named Molly who was with Trooper a few months ago?

I think I read on "that other site" that she broke it off......

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: