Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #166
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Yes, I get the training part... it's the "paper owner" I don't understand. Are they saying they registered the horse in their names with the JC, but the horse actually belongs to someone else? I can't imagine that the JC registration process doesn't require some sort of affidavit in which the applicant must attest to actual ownership, but I really know nothing about the registration procedure.

Mule
I don't know either specifically, I just took it to mean that the actual owner (or owner/trainer likely) was unlicensed for whatever reason. Whatever the actual scenario, it says a lot for the enforcement in that jurisdiction that you'd get the impression that the connections aren't even aware that there is a rule violation or two involved in that arrangement. Big fields!

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #167
jay68802

It means a lot. It means that they do not care about the regulations or the sport in general. It means that they care for only themselves and if they are caught, they are not responsible. It means they are only in it for the money...
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2018, 11:41 PM   #168
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Louisiana has long been a cesspool for horse racing. This is the just the latest (and worst) in a poor history.

Whatever happened to those jockeys that tried to fix the five horse race, anyway? I really don't remember. One of them was the guy from the Arkansas Derby buzzer incident. I think it was two Patin's and a Conyers.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #169
Hambletonian

Let's face it, the hard cold reality is, few equines, wild or not, die of old age.

We breed a ton of horses in this country, and there are only so many farms to retire them to. And how many backyard horse owners treat their horses well? How many backyard owners keep pleasure horses from cradle to grave?Especially when it is often times cheaper to procure a new horse then patch up an injured one.

And then we have racehorses, many of whom are retired with a variety of injuries that a) will require lifetime monitoring if not treatment b) could seriously reduce what they can be used for as a second career.

We all are happy when we hear an old warrior retired, but unless they end up at Old Friends or somewhere like it we rarely here what happens to them.

The only horses here that can expect a somewhat soft landing are the steeplechasers, since they are by and large owned and/or trainer by horse people. Many are used for pleasure riding during their racing career, which in many cases extend past their tenth birthday,and the community as a whole seems to be able to absorb the number of horses that drop out. But keep in mind the number of steeplechasers here is in the hundreds, not thousands.

Racing here is a business, not a sport, as contrasted with the UK, where horses run for low purses and training costs are not cheap.

I think it is disingenuous to pretend their is a solution to this problem that exists today that just isn't being utilized. The scope is just too large.

If we reduced the number of foals per year drastically, then used microchipping and a lifetime health card to keep track of all injuries, medical procedures etc, and most importantly, made that info publicly available, you might be able to get to a point where a decent number of horses could have a soft landing. But we would also need an industry where horses had a decent chance of retiring sound. And would still need a policy to deal with the unsound horses. As many have mentioned, euthanasia would be more humane then slaughter, but their are way to many undercapitalized owners who don't want to pay more to dispose of a horse.

I actually think this will all be moot within our lifetimes, and I am in my early fifties. I fully expect that racing will continue to diminish every year, and we may actually end up with a manageable number of thoroughbreds to deal with.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #170
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I think most people understand this. The problem is with the slaughter. If you can't afford to humanely dispose of a horse you shouldn't be an owner. Of course tracks don't want to lose owners, but you can't have this kind of stuff going on and expect to survive as a sport in current times.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #171
owlshead

Hambletonian - well written post, really made me think! i am around your age, 55. first started following with: Riva Ridge back in the early 70s
owlshead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #172
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
If we reduced the number of foals per year drastically, then used microchipping and a lifetime health card to keep track of all injuries, medical procedures etc, and most importantly, made that info publicly available, you might be able to get to a point where a decent number of horses could have a soft landing. But we would also need an industry where horses had a decent chance of retiring sound. And would still need a policy to deal with the unsound horses. As many have mentioned, euthanasia would be more humane then slaughter, but their are way to many undercapitalized owners who don't want to pay more to dispose of a horse.

I actually think this will all be moot within our lifetimes, and I am in my early fifties. I fully expect that racing will continue to diminish every year, and we may actually end up with a manageable number of thoroughbreds to deal with.
We HAVE reduced the number of foals, very rapidly, in the past decade. It's part of the reason fields are so short everywhere. There is always going to be a percentage of those horses who are not cared for properly. You'll always have irresponsible owners or those who try their best but don't have the funds.

The main differences between now and 30 years ago are that it's easier to find out when animals end up getting treated the way they have in Louisiana (because of Twitter and whatnot) and people are more sensitive to it than they used to be. In this case, I think the fact people actually care is a good thing.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #173
Frost king

The real answer to this problem, lies with the Jockey Club. If they wanted, they could fix the problem tomorrow. Just charge the Breeders of the horse an amount that would cover the euthanasia and disposal of the horse, upon the registeration of the papers, and the problem is solved. Then who ever owns the horse at the end, fills out the papers and gets the credit back from the jockey club. This would help to curtail, the guy who happens to own a stallion and a few mares from breeding “Slow Rats” and then running them a few times and sending them off to slaughter.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #174
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Louisiana has long been a cesspool for horse racing. This is the just the latest (and worst) in a poor history.

Whatever happened to those jockeys that tried to fix the five horse race, anyway? I really don't remember. One of them was the guy from the Arkansas Derby buzzer incident. I think it was two Patin's and a Conyers.
Suspended.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #175
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Suspended.
Yeah, I know they aren't riding, but I believe the were charged with a crime and maybe even indicted. Haven't heard anything in while though.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #176
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
The real answer to this problem, lies with the Jockey Club. If they wanted, they could fix the problem tomorrow. Just charge the Breeders of the horse an amount that would cover the euthanasia and disposal of the horse, upon the registeration of the papers, and the problem is solved. Then who ever owns the horse at the end, fills out the papers and gets the credit back from the jockey club. This would help to curtail, the guy who happens to own a stallion and a few mares from breeding “Slow Rats” and then running them a few times and sending them off to slaughter.
Sounds sensible. Get the money up front when, for the Owners of the would-be next Triple Crown winner, all seems promise and possibility.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #177
Mulerider

Quote:
Trying to make sense of the registration/ownership in La. is like trying to untangle a backlash on a bait-casting fishing reel.

Three of the first 24 Delta horses rescued this week were bred by Danny Brown, Brown's Thoroughbred Farm.

Equibase shows the owner of one of those, MY REVENGE, as Agular Stables. Equibase shows Agular Stables having only one horse, My Revenge, which last raced in 2013.

However, the horse's most current registration was mailed to Danny Brown...so, if Agular Stables sold the horse back to Danny Brown, why is this not reflected on Equibase?

I'm still trying to understand the "paper owner" deal. And this looks like it might be one, at least to me. Maybe there's a legitimate explanation. I don't know.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #178
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I'm still trying to understand the "paper owner" deal. And this looks like it might be one, at least to me. Maybe there's a legitimate explanation. I don't know.
I seriously doubt it is on the up and up.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #179
Mulerider

Latest Delta 11 update

Quote:
I seriously doubt it is on the up and up.
Of course not. Especially when you're dealing with people who would do the following. Ponder that these tattoos are inside the lip.

"As we wait for our group of 11, for those inquiring, Im in the process of organizing a thorough list of all rescues' names, trainers, owners, last race, etc. Sadly, some tattoos have been altered/mutilated (possibly w a cutting instrument) in an attempt to thwart a trail back😢"
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2018, 01:18 AM   #180
jay68802

I'm not sure about this, but I think the Jockey Club requires DNA to get registered. If they do, maybe they would be able to help on ID's.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: