Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-11-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Staggering numbers in Texas

https://www.breitbart.com/texas/2018...u-s-boomtowns/

You probably will never see this again in your lifetime
Old 08-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
Inner Dirt

Aren't most boom towns in Texas because of oil strikes? Between 2010-11
I took numerous cross country trips moving from California to Virginia and always crossed through the pan handle on I-40. I usually just drove till I was tired and then sought out a motel. One night heading east I decided to start looking for a place to sleep after Amarillo, it was mid week past midnight and the string of little towns were packed solid. Ended up almost 75 miles past Amarillo before finding a vacancy. The parking lots were full of pick up trucks, I was told they were all oil field workers from out of town.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
chadk66

I'd have to agree most are from oil activity. I live in Williston, ND. The largest town in western ND but still not a big town at all. It has risen and died twice from oil activity. In 2005 just prior to this latest oil craze there was roughly 10,000 people. Now, best estimates put it at 35,000. My son is a cop here. They have about eight cops on the overnight shift. He was working nights this past week. On Wed night the eight of them did 40 traffic stops, 110 calls for service and arrested 15 people. He alone arrested 3 and wrote 14 traffic citations. That was a damn week night lol. Not a sleepy little town anymore. It was actually crazier back in 2009 to 2015. Then oil tanked and everybody damn near left. Now it's nuts again.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Marshall Bennett

Mostly there is simply better opportunities and living is cheaper. Oil has always been a thriving business here. There's also a wide range of diversity.
Still a lot of open country, farming, and a wide range of industrial markets have relocated here. We've always been tough on crime. Still many conservative judges that just as soon see the garbage locked away than released back in circulation. We have dozens of state prisons.
Austin has grown at least 4X since the 60's. Considered mainly a large college town at one time, its now the liberal capital of the south. It sits alone The population is closing in on a million. Its unbelievable. I still remember just a handful of airlines that served mostly Texas cities, now there are airlines with non-stop flights to several countries from Austin. My dad was born and raised there. He'd be in shock were he still alive and went back. The city has transformed itself.
Suppose it depends on who you are, what you do, and how you like to live as to whether you like Texas. I wouldn't be anywhere else.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

**crickets** from many of the most prolific contributors to off-topic?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Red States Baby!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
thaskalos

What self-respecting horseplayer would ever consider moving to Texas?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
mostpost

Quote:
You guys are obsessed with crickets.

Do any of the Texas based posters know what Killeen, Texas is famous for? Be specific.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #9
mostpost

You know what invariably happens after a boom. A bust. Wait for it.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:03 AM   #10
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/texas/2018...u-s-boomtowns/

You probably will never see this again in your lifetime
At first glance I misread the title, thought it was "Numbers staggering in Texas" and said to myself "So what else is new?"
Old 08-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #11
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
You guys are obsessed with crickets.

Do any of the Texas based posters know what Killeen, Texas is famous for? Be specific.
The worlds best barbecue, just a few miles down the road from Killeen. That's what it's famous for.

So you survived the gunfights the past weekend in Chitown. Keep up the good work, unfortunately that seems to be a recurring problem up there. Week after week, year after year. I'm sure ole Rahm is on top of things. He'll have it under control in no time.....

Last edited by ElKabong; 08-14-2018 at 01:14 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 02:04 AM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Hey El...with all the guns you have in Texas...I mean, people can open carry now...how come you don't have all the "shoot-em-ups" they have up there in ol' Chicago?

Strange situation, don't you think? All them fancy gun control laws they have up north...and looky there...people gettin' shot left and right in ol' Chi-Town.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:50 AM   #13
lamboguy

even though Texas leads the league in executions, they are only 3rd in the number of inmates on death row behind California and Florida.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 04:55 AM   #14
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I love Texas. I would have moved there if not for the hot summers. Residents of no other state have the pride of a Texan. Just drive around and count the Lone Star flags. American values are alive and well between the Red and Rio Grande. The best barbecue and chili are a hard combination to beat too.

As far as guns, it is similar here in East TN. With virtually everybody armed the bad guys have to be wary.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Hey El...with all the guns you have in Texas...I mean, people can open carry now...how come you don't have all the "shoot-em-ups" they have up there in ol' Chicago?

Strange situation, don't you think? All them fancy gun control laws they have up north...and looky there...people gettin' shot left and right in ol' Chi-Town.

Explained right here and of course cosigned by race baiter Maxine Waters:

A series of expose articles in the San Jose Mercury-News by reporter Gary Webb told tales of a drug triangle during the 1980s that linked CIA officials in Central America, a San Francisco drug ring and a Los Angeles drug dealer. According to the stories, the CIA and its operatives used crack cocaine--sold via the Los Angeles African-American community--to raise millions to support the agency's clandestine operations in Central America.
The CIA's suspect past made the sensational articles an easy sell. Talk radio switchboards lit up, as did African-American leaders like U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Los Angeles, who pointed to Webb's articles as proof of a mastermind plot to destroy inner-city black America.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: