Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Just so everyone knows

I'm going to start handing out red cards (or penalty points) for excessive use of name calling. If you're in the habit of CALLING OTHER FORUM MEMBERS NAMES (note I said FORUM MEMBERS, and not politicians or celebrities or your delivery man etc), you'll likely end up with a penalty assessed if you keep it up.

Three penalties within a 10 day period will result in an automatic one day ban.

Six penalties within a 10 day period will result in a five day ban.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I'm going to start handing out red cards (or penalty points) for excessive use of name calling. If you're in the habit of CALLING OTHER FORUM MEMBERS NAMES (note I said FORUM MEMBERS, and not politicians or celebrities or your delivery man etc), you'll likely end up with a penalty assessed if you keep it up.

Thanks.
Where does telling someone to "get a life" a dozen times, or accusing someone of disrespecting them on a political debate simply because there is a disagreement stand?

Especially annoying.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

P.A.

It is important to define the term "excessive" or at least give some guidelines. Does the number of times qualify as excessive or the gravity of the name called or some combination. By defining the term you will save yourself some grief in the long-run
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I can't answer every possible scenario that might come up, where someone may or may not consider it crossing the line into the penalty zone.

I'm doing my best here...I actually work a real job for a living...and believe it or not, I'm lucky to make enough money off this website to pay for one nice family vacation per year...maybe two since I started the donation thing...so cut me some slack.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
thaskalos

IMO...what needs to be ticketed is the repeated notion that the followers of one party must necessarily be smarter than those of the other. There shouldn't be ANY blanket statements made here, IMO...because that's how these name-calling pissing contests get started. The debating here should be about issues and opinions...not about our respective levels of "intelligence".

I think we can safely assume that the intelligence levels vary greatly...in all political ideologies.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...what needs to be ticketed is the repeated notion that the followers of one party must necessarily be smarter than those of the other. There shouldn't be ANY blanket statements made here, IMO...because that's how these name-calling pissing contests get started. The debating here should be about issues and opinions...not about our respective levels of "intelligence".

I think we can safely assume that the intelligence levels vary greatly...in all political ideologies.
You're a moderator. Feel free to ticket and/or delete whatever you feel is out of line. I see all penalties given out by other moderators, so if I disagree with you, I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Where does telling someone to "get a life" a dozen times, or accusing someone of disrespecting them on a political debate simply because there is a disagreement stand?

Especially annoying.

You need to look in the mirror, I know that was directed at me. You insult people all the time and cry like a baby when the favor is returned. Get a life! I already got a red card, please give me more and get me out of here. As usual the person who retaliates gets flagged, oh well.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
thaskalos

Quote:
You're a moderator. Feel free to ticket whatever you feel is out of line. I see all penalties given out by other moderators, so if I disagree with you, I'll let you know.

Thanks.
If I ticket posts without a prior explanation, then I run the risk of creating added aggravation here, which is something that we don't need. The posters here have been used to doing things in a particular way for a long time...and these "personal" attacks have become commonplace. As Trump starts dominating the news in an ever-increasing pace, these personal attacks are bound to increase in severity going forward...and this shouldn't be the goal here, IMO. Where is it written that "morals" and 'intelligence' are qualities which are monopolized by one party alone?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I applaud this policy.
It gets downright nasty in Off Topic, usually with the same players participating every time.
Racing topics get heated, and sometimes rude, but nowhere near the level in Off Topic.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
I can't answer every possible scenario that might come up, where someone may or may not consider it crossing the line into the penalty zone.
Not at all what I intended. Of course you cannot anticipate every scenario and I understand you have a life, besides this message board.

I am only suggesting you give some " objective" guidelines to the moderators, whether it be the number of times, i.e. three times or the gravity of the name, i.e. attacking character or if it is a combination of both, which is probably the best solution.

Once you have some objective standard there would be no question about if the mods were doing their volunteer jobs or not.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
If I ticket posts without a prior explanation, then I run the risk of creating added aggravation here, which is something that we don't need. .........
Exactly why I suggested some type of definition of "excessive".
Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:

Thanks.

No, thank you !
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
thaskalos

Starting right now...I will ticket every post that I see where a member here questions the "intelligence", the "morality"...or the "patriotism" of another. I will ticket these posts impartially...and I won't stop until PA-Mike tells me to. We should be debating issues and opinions here...we shouldn't be diagnosing each-other's "mental conditions".
Old 09-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
Starting right now...I will ticket every post that I see where a member here questions the "intelligence", the "morality"...or the "patriotism" of another. I will ticket these posts impartially...and I won't stop until PA-Mike tells me to. We should be debating issues and opinions here...we shouldn't be diagnosing each-other's "mental conditions".

Yeah, sometimes I think that we all should get a life . Too much extreme left and extreme right thinking around here.

Last edited by Nutz and Boltz; 09-05-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply