Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Jobs? What jobs?

https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ource=facebook

If any place needed it......this place does. NEast KY needs the work
Old 08-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

Interesting to me as I try to buy domestic aluminum whenever I can, unless it is a place that sells recycled junk they probably mix with Chinese ingots like Service Center Metals of Virginia. On the other hand I do not trust your source article as it says:

Likewise, the Ashland aluminum mill will be the world’s most technologically advanced plant in the world and will have a production line that stretches 104 inches long. This will make it the widest aluminum mill in all of North America.

A 104 inch long production line???That is less than 9 feet for those than aren't good at math.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Maybe the mean wide - they say both.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
GaryG
Unreconstructed

In June there was this one in Georgetown, SC. It is a poor town on the coast between Myrtle Beach and Charleston:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-beat-tariffs/
Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Maybe the mean wide - they say both.
The must mean wide. 109 inches wide would be impressive. That would take a big roller mill. 9 foot coils of aluminum. I suppose they are in KY because they are close to Detroit and other auto mfg plants in the area.

I would have thought they could have re-opened an old mill in the rustbelt like Cleveland or Youngstown rather build a brand new one. But sometimes new is better.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

This will be good for Ohio too
Old 08-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I hope so. They need it.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
Hexplosive

Quote:
Yes, I know by my work in Fairfield, Oh literally nothin has been built in those vacant lots for the past 9 years. Now they built two shipping and receiving warehouses and a 3rd big ass building little bit down the road next to UDF.. Odd spot if you ask me.. But that one is to early in development to figure out what it is being built.. but that's gunna add a bunch of jobs those 2 buildings has 24 trailer docks looks like its gunna be busy..
Hexplosive is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexplosive View Post
Yes, I know by my work in Fairfield, Oh literally nothin has been built in those vacant lots for the past 9 years. Now they built two shipping and receiving warehouses and a 3rd big ass building little bit down the road next to UDF.. Odd spot if you ask me.. But that one is to early in development to figure out what it is being built.. but that's gunna add a bunch of jobs those 2 buildings has 24 trailer docks looks like its gunna be busy..
Fairfield Ohio? Dindnt they get killed when Fedex ran out in Clinton county? Lots of Fairfielders worked over there didn’t they?
Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
pandy

Huh???

I was thinking about Tom and Ralph today, they'll get a kick out of this, as will some others.

Bette Midler hates Trump and posted something on Facebook about how it will take us twenty years to overcome the damage he's doing.

And a bunch of liberals chimed in, in agreement, of course.

I rarely get involved in the threads of people I don't know, but just to piss them off, I wrote..."Hmmm, I don't know, you rarely hear ISIS being mentioned, I think we're doing well with terrorism, the economy is strong, wages are up, unemployment is low, at least there are no new nuclear tests in N. Korea...it seems to me that things are pretty good."

Naturally I got a lot of "you're an idiot" responses, but what surprised me, a lot of people actually told me that I was wrong and that I should get "better information". I guess that means from MSNBC.

Anyway, I asked what I was wrong about, isn't the economy strong? Many people came in and said, No, it isn't! And, they also said, unemployment is actually up, and ISIS is stronger than ever! And, they said N. Korea is still testing. I posted a link from USA Today showing that the last test was a year ago. I posted a link from a liberal website with the headline "ISIS defeated"...

None of this mattered, of course.

And they said this while chastising me for not being well informed! LOL

I said, "Hey, I worked on Wall. St. and I own a business, I think I know when the economy is good, and when the stock market is making new highs, and unemployment is at record lows, the economy is good."
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Hexplosive

Quote:
Fairfield Ohio? Dindnt they get killed when Fedex ran out in Clinton county? Lots of Fairfielders worked over there didn’t they?
I have no idea to be honest I can defiently see it tho..Alot of those places love to hire outsiders and not people from the city they are located in.. probably for tax reasons I'm sure!
Hexplosive is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
Burls
Veteran

Questions:
1) How much more will the American companies that manufacture things out of aluminum have to pay for their raw materials as a result of the 10% tariff on aluminum imported into America?

Obviously, this Braidy Industries plant was unable to produce aluminum at a competitive price or it wouldn't have been shut down.
The 10% tariff is needed to subsidize such a non-competitive plant.

Whether they get their aluminum from foreign aluminum manufacturers with a 10% tariff tacked on, or from this Braidy Industries plant that can't produce aluminum at a competitive price, American companies that manufacture things out of aluminum will be paying more for it.

This is a problem.

As a result of this increase in their manufacturing costs, American companies that manufacture things out of aluminum will have to raise the prices of their finished products.
So individuals and companies that buy such products in America will be paying more for them.
As a result, domestic sales of such items will go down.

Let's all give Donny Boy a hearty thanks for that!
He's made finished aluminum products more expensive for everyone in America.
Yay!

But the fun is not over yet.

Now we need to consider:
2) How severely will the American companies that manufacture things out of aluminum and export them be affected by the reciprocal 10% tariffs other countries will put on American goods in response to the American tariffs?

Remember:

These finished aluminum products will already be more expensive because of the increase in manufacturing costs.
When you add a 10% tariff to that, these finished aluminum products will be substantially more expensive for foreign buyers once they are exported.
As a result, foreign sales of such items will also go down.

With both foreign and domestic sales of their finished aluminum products declining, American companies that manufacture things out of aluminum will have to start LAYING PEOPLE OFF and CLOSING PLANTS.

But wait - there's more.

Since the manufacture of these finished aluminum products is more labor intensive than manufacturing the raw materials, the number of people laid off from American companies that manufacture things out of aluminum will be
SUBSTANTIALLY LARGER
than the number of people who get aluminum manufacturing jobs as a result of implementing the 10% tariff.

So there you have it.

Way to go, Donny Boy!
Not only will your 10% tariff on imported aluminum make finished aluminum products more expensive for everyone in America.
They will also INCREASE the number of people without jobs in America.

This is just BASIC, BASIC economics that any business leader should be keenly aware of.
But not Donny Boy.
He is above all that.

Hurrah for Donny Boy!!
Let's give that man a 92 million dollar parade!

Last edited by Burls; 08-29-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Burls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls View Post
There is absolutely zero point debating economics on here.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #14
Burls
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
There is absolutely zero point debating economics on here.
Why?
I've only summarized the BASIC ECONOMIC FACTS that every country in the modern world has been aware of since the end of the nineteenth Century.
Burls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
highnote

The plant operators announced their plan in April of 2017. I wonder if they anticipated the Trump tariffs?

Steel and aluminum manufacturers have wanted tariffs for years.

Manufacturers who use steel and aluminum in their products do not want tariffs because it will cause them to be less competitive.

To me, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

The contractors will make a lot by building the plant, though.

Any idea who is doing the construction?