Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Dahoss2002

Lance

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arms...oping-by-usada
Will he get outta this one?
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Greyfox

The charges place Lance in a losing situation.
It will cost him oodles of $$ to fight them.
Even if found not guilty, the smear never leaves.
If innocent I feel very sorry for him.
If guilty, he's getting his just desserts - but too late.
The fact that he is no longer competitive in cycling leaves me with a bad taste here, especially if he's found not guilty. Why now?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The whole sport is a cesspool of cheaters. I like the sport and I hope it is turning the corner in that regard, but I'm skeptical.

I want to believe Lance Armstrong, but it is hard. In a sport where cheating was rampant during his best years, are we really to believe he could beat all these other cheaters while remaining clean himself? I hope I'm wrong, but I find that VERY unlikely.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The whole sport is a cesspool of cheaters. .
that includes the amateur ranks, at least it did in the 90s when i competed in USCF races (lowly cat4) and triathlons at the amateur level. Those guys didn't do it for money, it's all ego. Never understood it. For $100 prize money they juice their bodies and risk a lot down the line

I never met Armstrong but the folks I know that trained with him when he was a kid were more than suspicious of him juicing before his 16th b-day. I don't know where he c/ get the $ to pay for it, he came from a lower-middle class upbringing.

He was a freak for sure, his oxygen delivery system as a 14yo was off the charts. Not surprisingly he wasn't very friendly in his younger years, very serious. I'm told after his bout with cancer he turned around his attitude towards others as individuals and did a 180, was helpful to younger kids coming up the ranks

Last edited by ElKabong; 06-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Dahoss2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
that includes the amateur ranks, at least it did in the 90s when i competed in USCF races (lowly cat4) and triathlons at the amateur level. Those guys didn't do it for money, it's all ego. Never understood it. For $100 prize money they juice their bodies and risk a lot down the line

I never met Armstrong but the folks I know that trained with him when he was a kid were more than suspicious of him juicing before his 16th b-day. I don't know where he c/ get the $ to pay for it, he came from a lower-middle class upbringing.

He was a freak for sure, his oxygen delivery system as a 14yo was off the charts. Not surprisingly he wasn't very friendly in his younger years, very serious. I'm told after his bout with cancer he turned around his attitude towards others as individuals and did a 180, was helpful to younger kids coming up the ranks
CJ kinda summed up my thoughts. Not saying its right but if he did, he did it on a level playing field. I think most of the Podium finishers from Lance's TDF victories have been disqualified.
Do you still ride EK? I never competed but enjoy riding. Did HTH in 09 and Pineywood purgatory in 06 and 09. That scenic Lufkin ride is my favorite.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
Seabiscuit@AR

The signs are that cycling is turning the corner with the drugs issue. There was an interesting series of articles during last year's Tour de France at the Sports Scientists website (http://www.sportsscientists.com/). One of the writers there compared times up the major climbs of the Tour de France and found that last year's times were the slowest in about 25 years. Also last year's times were within the range where the performances were credible without drugs. So these articles did suggest 25 years of doping in the Tour de France but maybe none last year

Last year's winner Cadel Evans used to get thrashed by Armstrong in the overall competition at the Tour de France (11 minutes behind one year). However testing from their early days as young cyclists suggests Evans should have been capable of better performances than Lance Armstrong

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com.au/2...-dr-david.html
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Seabiscuit@AR

I will add that doping in cycling as in horse racing has probably been around forever. Eddy Merckx is often described as the greatest cyclist of all time but he got done for drugs and that was decades ago
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
JBmadera

Quote:

shoot, competing as a masters Cat II, there are guys doping and getting caught. you'd think at 45+ they would just enjoy competing. sad.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss2002
Do you still ride EK? I never competed but enjoy riding. Did HTH in 09 and Pineywood purgatory in 06 and 09. That scenic Lufkin ride is my favorite.
Last on my bike in 2005. I miss it, but the time isn't there anymore to pursue it...also, the formerly ride-able roads in Dallas county are very unfriendly to cycling nowdays

East Tx roads are great to ride...soft rolling hills, little traffic, nice scenery....you're right, very scenic.....WF, west Tx, and the HTH, notsomuch. Wind is the only issue, otherwise it's not a challenge. When I used to go to WF for that ride (then they sanctioned a uscf race in the 90s) I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the community...but for riding, east TX is really enjoyable.

There's a loop we used to do west of San Antonio in Bandera county in the hill country. That's what I miss the most, it had everything on that 40-50 mile course & you could do it twice w/ good weather. Hills, challenging courses, and good people
Old 06-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera
shoot, competing as a masters Cat II, there are guys doping and getting caught. you'd think at 45+ they would just enjoy competing. sad.
Cat 2...not many people outside racing realize how tough it is to get that far in the sport. Serious achievement.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
JBmadera

Quote:
Cat 2...not many people outside racing realize how tough it is to get that far in the sport. Serious achievement.
Thx! Lots and lots of miles, that's for sure......now where did my epo go...

Pretty sure this will be my last season, not coming back well after the last surgery.

We spent 115 miles talking about this sad saga on the team ride this a.m., mainly everyone is just sick of all this crap
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss2002
CJ kinda summed up my thoughts. Not saying its right but if he did, he did it on a level playing field. I think most of the Podium finishers from Lance's TDF victories have been disqualified.
It's not a level playing field. The riders with access to the best drugs have an edge. You should have seen what happened during the first few years of EPO use. It was ridiculous. Riders who were only average before suddenly became far superior.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit@AR
I will add that doping in cycling as in horse racing has probably been around forever. Eddy Merckx is often described as the greatest cyclist of all time but he got done for drugs and that was decades ago
He actually was The Cannibal. He had an insatiable desire to destroy his opponents.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
It's not a level playing field. The riders with access to the best drugs have an edge. You should have seen what happened during the first few years of EPO use. It was ridiculous. Riders who were only average before suddenly became far superior.
don't forget "dead"....Dutch cyclists 20-25 yrs ago dropped like flies b/c of EPO

sad...the riders simply did what they were told.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
Dahoss2002

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/repo...inst-armstrong
Funny how this all cmes ou tduring TDFhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-hincapie-leipheimer-vande-velde-zabriskie-vaughters-give-evidence-against-armstrong

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: