Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #1
mostpost

What do you do?

As promised: refer to my post in the Off Topic General shutting down thread.
Tell us what you do in your free time. Clubs or organizations you belong to. No need to name names. Just say things like book club or Friday night poker or fraternal organization or dinner with friends. Or, if you're Boxcar, "I stay home and give God advice."

Then give us an idea of specific things you have done in the last two weeks or so.

I am retired. been retired for thirteen plus years. I sing in one of the choirs at my church. We sing on the first and third Weekends of each month from September to May. Our group always sings at 5:00 Mass on Saturday. We also sing on Holidays and special occasions often in Company with the other choirs and sometimes with choirs from other churches in the area. We also have a number of social events each year.

I also belong to the local Community theater. We do two shows a year. In the spring we do a large musical. Last spring we did Young Frankenstein, the Musical. In the fall we do a smaller musical or straight play. This spring we did Arthur Miller's The Crucible. In my younger days I appeared on stage, but now I help in other ways. Each of these shows has one or more cast parties afterwards.

In connection with the above, I sometimes attend shows put on by other Community theaters in the area, and concerts put on during the summer at various parks; all with friends. Yes, I know, you all think I have no friends. You would be wrong.

Finally, I am a avid follower of the Riverside Brookfield Bulldogs basketball team. They occupy most of my Tuesdays and Fridays plus quite a few Saturdays from late November to early March.

As for recent activities. Last Saturday (4/27) I attended a 25th Anniversary celebration which included a Mass and renewal of vows officiated by the Archbishop of Milwaukee. There was a basketball game and the Bears on Sunday. On Halloween, my friends always set up a large tent on their
front lawn, where they pass out hot chocolate, apple cider and treats for the kids and beer, wine, pina coladas and strawberry daiquairis for the adults. Anyone who comes by. So I spent several hours there.

Saturday we sang at 5:00 Mass and I attended a retirement party for one of the fellows a worked with for several years at the Post Office. Also, twice a year I organize a reunion of sorts for several old friends from the post office.

I almost forgot. Tuesday I spent eleven hours in the emergency room at Loyola Hospital. But we probably should not consider that fun.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:36 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

All I do besides work and this board, is play World of Warships. You can blame elysiantraveller for that.

My friends and family have an amber alert out for me at this very moment.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am in Witness Protection.
I hire a guy to post here for me.
Ely knows who it is.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Tell us what you do in your free time. Clubs or organizations you belong to. No need to name names. Just say things like book club or Friday night poker or fraternal organization or dinner with friends. Or, if you're Boxcar, "I stay home and give God advice."

Then give us an idea of specific things you have done in the last two weeks or so.

I am retired. been retired for thirteen plus years. I sing in one of the choirs at my church. We sing on the first and third Weekends of each month from September to May. Our group always sings at 5:00 Mass on Saturday. We also sing on Holidays and special occasions often in Company with the other choirs and sometimes with choirs from other churches in the area. We also have a number of social events each year.

I also belong to the local Community theater. We do two shows a year. In the spring we do a large musical. Last spring we did Young Frankenstein, the Musical. In the fall we do a smaller musical or straight play. This spring we did Arthur Miller's The Crucible. In my younger days I appeared on stage, but now I help in other ways. Each of these shows has one or more cast parties afterwards.

In connection with the above, I sometimes attend shows put on by other Community theaters in the area, and concerts put on during the summer at various parks; all with friends. Yes, I know, you all think I have no friends. You would be wrong.

Finally, I am a avid follower of the Riverside Brookfield Bulldogs basketball team. They occupy most of my Tuesdays and Fridays plus quite a few Saturdays from late November to early March.

As for recent activities. Last Saturday (4/27) I attended a 25th Anniversary celebration which included a Mass and renewal of vows officiated by the Archbishop of Milwaukee. There was a basketball game and the Bears on Sunday. On Halloween, my friends always set up a large tent on their
front lawn, where they pass out hot chocolate, apple cider and treats for the kids and beer, wine, pina coladas and strawberry daiquairis for the adults. Anyone who comes by. So I spent several hours there.

Saturday we sang at 5:00 Mass and I attended a retirement party for one of the fellows a worked with for several years at the Post Office. Also, twice a year I organize a reunion of sorts for several old friends from the post office.

I almost forgot. Tuesday I spent eleven hours in the emergency room at Loyola Hospital. But we probably should not consider that fun.
Sounds like a busy life for a retired guy. Hope you're on the mend.

I retired two years ago in April, but a friend recently lured me back into part time consulting for local companies. I hate to admit that I missed it. Wife's health decided to go south right around the time of my retirement, so I try not to be far from home most days. Mostly a busy grandfather with grandkids' activities, taught two near me to ride bikes and swim. Last year we rode bikes all through the winter, except on snowy days. Don't think I even did that growing up.

I wanted to learn something new during my retirement, so last year I took up learning the guitar, and play almost every day. I did have a musical background having played piano for over 60 years. Attended my 50th high school reunion two weeks ago, it was great, but a bit sad seeing so many in walkers or using canes, a few in wheelchairs. My high school football coach's son is now a head coach in the NFL. Next week the wife and I are headed to San Francisco and then Portland, Oregon to visit my sister's and son's family. Hope to get to Portland Meadows again for a visit. I visit our local OTB for a day or two each week, but usually only stay for 4-5 races.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post

Back in the 90s, I did some free lance reporting for a suburban Chicago paper. I remember covering one basketball game at Riverside Brookfield. What I remember was the coach of the team I was covering had an absolute meltdown in the locker room after the game. The locker room door was locked but we could hear his screaming tirade after the game. He finally came out, tried to be composed and talked to us reporters. Then, on the bus ride home, he had another meltdown. He was forced to resign the next day.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
ElKabong

My wife and I go to south padre island 3 or 4 times a year. The "front" for that is , we go there to relax on the beach for a few days, and go to Brownsville for a burger at Rutledge's (look it up, nothing else like it)

Truth be told, we sit on a border riverbank and fire away at illegals swimming across the border. Whoever hits the most targets doesn't have to drive the nine hours to get back home.,.... Got to keep the Texan stereotype going here, right? Lap it up.

Last edited by ElKabong; 11-05-2018 at 02:13 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
azeri98

I work and have 2 hobbies, well 3, bet horses, play fantasy sports and play golf
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Andy Asaro

I mind my own business. Except when I don't
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I mind my own business. Except when I don't
Just SRU being him/her self....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
jimmyb

Retired at 62 after a couple of decades as a Practical Nurse.

I've been powerlifting since my '20's and still do it to this day. Currently own the state bench press and deadlift records in the 54-61 age class and the 61-67 age class in the 165-181 weight class.

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
jimmyb

523382_10201099007910443_860561_n.jpg
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
All I do besides work and this board, is play World of Warships. You can blame elysiantraveller for that.

My friends and family have an amber alert out for me at this very moment.
I admire people who can do well at those games. I personally don’t believe there is a level two in any of them. At least I have never seen it.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #13
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I am in Witness Protection.
I hire a guy to post here for me.
Ely knows who it is.
You should fire him. You could do a much better job than he is doing.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Sounds like a busy life for a retired guy. Hope you're on the mend.

I retired two years ago in April, but a friend recently lured me back into part time consulting for local companies. I hate to admit that I missed it. Wife's health decided to go south right around the time of my retirement, so I try not to be far from home most days. Mostly a busy grandfather with grandkids' activities, taught two near me to ride bikes and swim. Last year we rode bikes all through the winter, except on snowy days. Don't think I even did that growing up.

I wanted to learn something new during my retirement, so last year I took up learning the guitar, and play almost every day. I did have a musical background having played piano for over 60 years. Attended my 50th high school reunion two weeks ago, it was great, but a bit sad seeing so many in walkers or using canes, a few in wheelchairs. My high school football coach's son is now a head coach in the NFL. Next week the wife and I are headed to San Francisco and then Portland, Oregon to visit my sister's and son's family. Hope to get to Portland Meadows again for a visit. I visit our local OTB for a day or two each week, but usually only stay for 4-5 races.
Thanks, I’m fine. It was scary, but just a temporary thing. I admire your gumption in taking up a new instrument in your later years. I was 52 and had never been on stage in any capacity when I joined North Riverside Players. I appeared in between 14 and 17 productions over the years-always in the chorus.
My voice is good, but dancing. Words cannot describe.

Better health to Mrs. whosonfirst.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I could lift 358 pounds. Ten pounds at a time. NO I COULDN’T. I’d be exhausted before I got to 40 pounds.

Not a sport which I would follow, but it must be rewarding to hold state records in two age groups.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: