Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #16
FantasticDan
gelding

I can respect Sandler's performance, but most of the film was so over the top and ridiculous, I couldn't really take it seriously.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
certain favorite scenes or dialogue...
while not to the level of some of my favorite ALL-TIME movie scenes, this is the one that I guess is the gem: c'mon KG this is no different than that ... "This is how I win"

also, of course Julia Fox was entertaining
Old 02-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
My dad made me stop it after the first 10-15 minutes...lol

I will likely go back and watch the rest at some point.
I finally got around to watching this movie.

I liked it more than I thought I would after my dad made me stop it the first time around...LOL
Old 02-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
My dad made me stop it after the first 10-15 minutes...lol

I will likely go back and watch the rest at some point.
We went slightly longer.
The character was just a bit too vile for me.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #20
thaskalos

This was the only gambling-related movie that I couldn't watch til the end. And I sat through even that terrible Burt Reynolds poker movie.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The ending is kinda what pushed me over the edge towards liking it...
Old 02-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #22
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Swear I've never heard the N word in a movie more than maybe 5 times...this movie had that word at least 50 times.

Even so I liked the movie. Everyone has a different opinion about it, but to me it was better than "The Joker".
Yeah Joaquin Phoenix can play a weird dude, we've seen that before. IMO his best role was as Johnny Cash, where he didn't play a nut job.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-19-2021 at 07:52 PM.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #23
thaskalos

Quote:
The ending is kinda what pushed me over the edge towards liking it...
I never got close to the end...I watched only a small part of it. Sandler rattles off a $20,000 ten-tier parlay to a bookie on a Celtics game...and he hits for mega bucks. "I scored real big"...he tells his hot girlfriend. And then he gets beaten up by the hard guys in a parking lot. Every gambler worth his salt knows that you get beaten up when you lose and can't pay...not when you "score real big". The movie lost me after that...and I switched to an Andy Griffith Show rerun.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:29 PM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I never got close to the end...I watched only a small part of it. Sandler rattles off a $20,000 ten-tier parlay to a bookie on a Celtics game...and he hits for mega bucks. "I scored real big"...he tells his hot girlfriend. And then he gets beaten up by the hard guys in a parking lot. Every gambler worth his salt knows that you get beaten up when you lose and can't pay...not when you "score real big". The movie lost me after that...and I switched to an Andy Griffith Show rerun.
If I'm remembering correctly, Sandler's mid-movie Celtic parlay got 'the kibosh', because the bookie was in communication with the debt collectors.

So he thought he won big and solved some problems, but in actuality the bet was cancelled.

Makes me wonder if they would have told him, if he lost the bet. (but the movie isn't meant to be that deep)

I connected on some emotions/vibes at times, and was relatively entertained for the run time...
Also was somewhat a fan that the movie chose an abrupt harsh reality ending, rather than a good-karma storybook happy ending.

We're tough critics of these shows. They try to balance mainstream with some elements of gambling, and don't always get it right. Remember HBO's "Luck"?
Old 02-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #25
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, Sandler's mid-movie Celtic parlay got 'the kibosh', because the bookie was in communication with the debt collectors.

So he thought he won big and solved some problems, but in actuality the bet was cancelled.

Makes me wonder if they would have told him, if he lost the bet. (but the movie isn't meant to be that deep)

I connected on some emotions/vibes at times, and was relatively entertained for the run time...
Also was somewhat a fan that the movie chose an abrupt harsh reality ending, rather than a good-karma storybook happy ending.

We're tough critics of these shows. They try to balance mainstream with some elements of gambling, and don't always get it right. Remember HBO's "Luck"?
I don't expect movies to "always get things right". "The Gambler", with James Caan..."The Sting"..."The Cincinnati Kid"..."Rounders"..."The House of Games"...not only didn't these movies "get everything right", they were all downright laughable at times, as far as "gambling reality" is concerned. But I found them all enjoyable because the story that they told was otherwise well crafted. Uncut Gems was way over the top to the point where it was totally unbelievable, IMO.

Of course I remember "Luck"...as well as the TV series "All-In"...which was poker's version of the same story. Both programs were harshly criticized by the respective "industries" that they supposedly represented...because they delved into the unsavory aspects of the two gambling games. The criticism was unwarranted...IMO. Gambling comes with warts...and these warts need to be exposed if the accompanying story is to have a lasting appeal on the viewer.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #26
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Of course I remember "Luck"...as well as the TV series "All-In"...which was poker's version of the same story. Both programs were harshly criticized by the respective "industries" that they supposedly represented...because they delved into the unsavory aspects of the two gambling games. The criticism was unwarranted...IMO. Gambling comes with warts...and these warts need to be exposed if the accompanying story is to have a lasting appeal on the viewer.
I'm gonna have to check out "All-In" at least once.

Haven't seen it yet.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:49 PM   #27
davew

thaskalos,

this was a 'compulsive gambler' movie. A couple others with the same theme were Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel and the 1999 movie The Runner with John Goodman. The main character was driven by their compulsion.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #28
Maximillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
thaskalos,

this was a 'compulsive gambler' movie. A couple others with the same theme were Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel and the 1999 movie The Runner with John Goodman. The main character was driven by their compulsion.
Uncut Gems didnt really work for me.....but neither did Bad Lieutenant.That movie seems to get universal praise and I think Ive heard it called best movie of the 90s before.Ive seen it twice now and it didnt work for me either time.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #29
Robert Fischer
clean money

The Rocking Horse Winner D.H. Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post

i'm making a bit of a stretch in genres here depending on your mindstate and perspective

"they don't know
(and now this is the disturbing point)
It's too late!

Paul is ruined. He dies at the end of the story. He's got no no idea.
Of course he's a very young boy. Adult readers (as you are) of this story, will see through the fact that Paul doesn't know that he's killing himself to try to appropriate some money for his mother so she will be happy.
He doesn't know that. He can't verbalize that. He just recognizes she's unhappy. She wants money. He discovers that when he rides his rocking horse, the names of horses come to mind who are the next winners, and he can bet on those winners, and he can make money. Malabar is the last one. The biggest race of them all. He will come to the name Malabar, but in the process of doing that, he's destroyed. His health is ruined, and he dies."

somewhat interesting take from Dr McGee lecture

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-21-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

One of the all time greats Days of Wine and Roses is on TMC this Sunday afternoon.

Ranks right up there with Lost Weekend for boozing movies

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: