Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #4996
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Just keeping the two party system alive: your opinion against mine.

Of course you are welcome to try to put whatever spin (i.e., context) you can on the scripture I've posted. A candid world awaits.
Thanks for proving your disdain for understanding communication in its context when you accuse me of putting "spin" on your quoted texts simply because I quoted opposing scritpues.

Anyone with an I.Q. larger than his hat size would understand that there is no biblical promise for universal forgiveness; for God forgives only those who, by the power of his grace, meet his conditions for forgiveness.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #4997
thaskalos

How about we put up a poll, so the members here could vote on whether or not they truly believe in the Old Testament's version of "God"? Such a poll could prove very "enlightening"...especially for Boxcar.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #4998
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
How about we put up a poll, so the members here could vote on whether or not they truly believe in the Old Testament's version of "God"? Such a poll could prove very "enlightening"...especially for Boxcar.
A sure measure of truth!

And what makes you think the NT "version" of God doesn't harmonize with the Old?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #4999
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
A sure measure of truth!

And what makes you think the NT "version" of God doesn't harmonize with the Old?
I, personally, happen to agree with you. I have long rejected both the Old and the New Testaments...in equal measure. But I still think that a poll on this topic would be quite instructive. It would be interesting to see how the members here rate a "powerful and everloving God"...who operates under the notion that "rank has its privileges".
Old 01-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #5000
thaskalos

A bunch of ancient Jewish guys got together...and started writing stories about how the Jews are God's "chosen people". And this is supposed to be taken as "gospel" by the rest of the world? "God created man, in his own image"...these ancient Jewish tribesmen write. And I say that "Man created God, in his own image". Where is the proof that refutes my theory...while supporting theirs?

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-18-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #5001
hcap

Quote:
I, personally, happen to agree with you. I have long rejected both the Old and the New Testaments...in equal measure. But I still think that a poll on this topic would be quite instructive. It would be interesting to see how the members here rate a "powerful and everloving God"...who operates under the notion that "rank has its privileges".
You would have to take out a full page ad in multiple outlets to get anyone other than the FEW of us to vote

PS::some of us Jews do not take the bible literally and have been saying so for years

Last edited by hcap; 01-18-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #5002
boxcar

Quote:
As an "everloving" King who rules the universe there's no contradiction with God exercising his royal privileges.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #5003
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
You would have to take out a full page ad in multiple outlets to get anyone other than the FEW of us to vote

PS::some of us Jews do not take the bible literally and have been saying so for years
Actually...most Jews don't. So...you have the numbers on your side -- but those numbers aren't going to save you when you step into eternity.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #5004
thaskalos

Quote:
Actually...most Jews don't. So...you have the numbers on your side -- but those numbers aren't going to save you when you step into eternity.
Ahh, yes..."eternity". Religion's ingenious invention...to appease man's desire to "live forever". How foolish man can be...
Old 01-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #5005
boxcar

Quote:
Ahh, yes..."eternity". Religion's ingenious invention...to appease man's desire to "live forever". How foolish man can be...
The desire is intuitive, put there by God (Eccl 3:11).
Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #5006
thaskalos

Quote:
The desire is intuitive, put there by God (Eccl 3:11).
I don't share such an "intuitive" feeling. To me...a life well-lived is long enough, even without an "encore" performance. As I settle into my latter years, and my body starts rebelling against me...the eventual end of the "cycle of life" seems perfectly natural to me. And I am willing to readily admit that I have no idea what, if anything, lies beyond for man.

Let's live one life at a time...I say.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #5007
boxcar

Quote:
I don't share such an "intuitive" feeling. To me...a life well-lived is long enough, even without an "encore" performance. As I settle into my latter years, and my body starts rebelling against me...the eventual end of the "cycle of life" seems perfectly natural to me. And I am willing to readily admit that I have no idea what, if anything, lies beyond for man.

Let's live one life at a time...I say.
You will and are. The life you live now will be forever behind you at death; whereas the life ahead of you will be neverending and lived in an entirely different realm. No chance whatsoever of you ever confusing the two...
Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #5008
thaskalos

Quote:
You will and are. The life you live now will be forever behind you at death; whereas the life ahead of you will be neverending and lived in an entirely different realm. No chance whatsoever of you ever confusing the two...
Boxcar, I've read a lot about religion...and I am well-aware of the different versions of the "after-life" that these religions propose. But it isn't in my nature to fully believe the things that I read...regardless of how "promising" they might seem.

"Believe half of what you see...and none of what you hear"...my father used to advise me. This sounded good to me then...and it sounds good to me now. It doesn't hurt to "doubt", IMO...especially when the "proof" is severely LACKING.

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-18-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #5009
boxcar

Quote:
Boxcar, I've read a lot about religion...and I am well-aware of the different versions of the "after-life" that these religions propose. But it isn't in my nature to fully believe the things that I read...regardless of how "promising" they might seem.

"Believe half of what you see...and none of what you hear"...my father used to advise me. This sounded good to me then...and it sounds good to me now. It doesn't hurt to "doubt", IMO...especially when the "proof" is severely LACKING.
It would be much easier to believe if you pondered the self-defeating philosophy of atheistic naturalism or the logically sound supernatuturalism to account for the existence of the universe. If the latter, then God's essence must be pure existence, i.e. life without beginning or end.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #5010
Actor
Librocubicularist

vindictive

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins – The God Delusion

vindictive

God of vengeance
Psalm 94:1 O Lord, the God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, let your glorious justice shine forth! NLT

”I will take revenge”
Deuteronomy 32:35 I will take revenge; I will pay them back. In due time their feet will slip. Their day of disaster will arrive, and their destiny will overtake them. NLT

Payback time for the Amalekites
1 Samuel 15:1-2 One day Samuel said to Saul, “It was the Lord who told me to anoint you as king of his people, Israel. Now listen to this message from the Lord! This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies has declared: I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt.” NLT

Sexual assault
Isaiah 47:3-4 Your nakedness shall be uncovered, and your shame shall be seen. I will take vengeance, and I will spare no man. RSV

Drunk with blood
Deuteronomy 32:41-42 if I whet my glittering sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries, and will requite those who hate me. I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh—with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the long-haired heads of the enemy.’ RSV

Don’t you dare turn away from God
Joshua 22:23 for building an altar to turn away from following the Lord; or if we did so to offer burnt offerings or cereal offerings or peace offerings on it, may the Lord himself take vengeance. RSV