Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
The stewards don't even read the DRF. I remember there was a race in NY a few years ago where Chad Brown had a rabbit and there was some type of controversy over an inquiry, I forget which race.

Everyone knew about the rabbit but the stewards. Totally clueless about trainer's intentions. You would think they would show some interest in what is going on.

Vic will come to their defense but most are ill informed and are not qualified for their positions.

The confidence level in stewards has never been lower, and it's a problem.

They don't bet because most probably did not bet before they became stewards and have no understanding of gambling.
I worked with some Stewards that were lazy, clueless and incompetent. That was rare. Most of the judges I worked with were talented, dedicated people who truly cared about fairness and providing a level playing field for everyone.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #17
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I think it is strange that it is like this. I understand why stewards are not allowed to wager, but why doesn't the same logic apply to owners, trainers, and jockeys?
The owners, trainers and jockeys have vested interests in each race. A steward is supposed to maintain complete independence. Big difference.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Troll question brah (and just so nobody gets all in a tither, this is aimed at the OP)
How is this a “ troll “question? I simply did not know the answer and was very curious. The responses are interesting especially the one about 7/10 stewards not even into horse racing . I abide by your terms of service and yet you bait me into being negative by your uncalled for comment. Have some integrity. My questions usually generate a lot of great information that I would have otherwise not known the answers to. Merry Christmas !
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
How is this a “ troll “question? I simply did not know the answer and was very curious. The responses are interesting especially the one about 7/10 stewards not even into horse racing . I abide by your terms of service and yet you bait me into being negative by your uncalled for comment. Have some integrity. My questions usually generate a lot of great information that I would have otherwise not known the answers to. Merry Christmas !
I have NEVER seen you post a question or response that wasn't trolling. Including when you insist you're not trolling.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #20
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Owners buy a ticket on their horse and give it to the jock all the time. Race tracks have never had a problem with that. At smaller venues. Agents with leading riders often choose a particular mount over another based on the barn's willingness to bet for the jockey. Agent gets half of any money bet for the jock. Their are some riders that tend to forget to tell their agent when they are given a ticket.
When I was at the track when my horse ran.

20 for the jock. 20 for the groom.

They treated me well.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #21
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
When I was at the track when my horse ran.

20 for the jock. 20 for the groom.

They treated me well.

Allan
Those bets for the grooms mean world to them.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #22
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
I simply did not know the answer and was very curious.
That's the way I read it. I wouldn't let the responses bother you. This is how people in "the industry" treat curious fans. Its the the state of the nation. What we are left with is industry folks who's most common communication is mocking the less informed and sounding clever on twitter.

As far as stewards integrity.. I'd go case by case basis but by and large I'd not trust most of them to leave track politics and their own self-importance out of decisions they make.

Pete Rose bet on baseball.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #23
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
That's the way I read it. I wouldn't let the responses bother you. This is how people in "the industry" treat curious fans. Its the the state of the nation. What we are left with is industry folks who's most common communication is mocking the less informed and sounding clever on twitter.

As far as stewards integrity.. I'd go case by case basis but by and large I'd not trust most of them to leave track politics and their own self-importance out of decisions they make.

I'm in the industry. I've always tried my best to be accessible, transparent and candid.

I've NEVER talked down to anybody who's asked a serious, respectful question.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #24
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
The owners, trainers and jockeys have vested interests in each race. A steward is supposed to maintain complete independence. Big difference.
bingo; not allowing the owners to bet would be a big hit to handle
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 AM   #25
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
bingo; not allowing the owners to bet would be a big hit to handle
Since the Mongols raced horses in their down time parading across asia the owners always made it interesting by putting a little something on it, whether a few pieces of gold or a night for the winner with the loser's wife. Owners should be expected to bet on their horse.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #26
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post

I like your track pictures and stories Suff, but you're way, way way wrong on this guy and his posts. "Curious fan", funny.

The gimmick of asking rudimentary yet rude questions and pleading ignorance has been done 1000 times here and by people a lot better at it (and before you jump on it, asking if stewards bet isn't rude in and of itself---but look at ALL of this guy's posts and tell me he's not the 87th reincarnation of that gimmick).
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #27
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I can understand the reasoning for stewards not being allowed to bet.

On the other hand, as a horseplayer --

It is my opinion that many of racing's biggest problems arose and continue unabated - because racing's decision makers do not bet.

-jp

Not exactly on topic about stewards/officials, but having been (or being) a bettor was and continues to be one of the criteria for being a chart caller because understanding the end user is so important. Some of the best chart callers I've ever known (just a few being Scaravilli, Guilliams and Valentine) all bet on the races which helped them continually understood the importance of good charts and footnotes.

AND, to beat any cynics to the punch, no, I've never known a single chart caller to keep something out of a chart so he/she could profit from that information.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #28
davew

Quote:
I'm in the industry. I've always tried my best to be accessible, transparent and candid.

I've NEVER talked down to anybody who's asked a serious, respectful question.
It seems everyone working around the track needs licensed by the respective state racing commission. Are the stewards employees of the track or the state (where does their pay come from)?

What about track announcers, can they bet on races they are calling?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #29
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I like your track pictures and stories Suff, but you're way, way way wrong on this guy and his posts. "Curious fan", funny.

I said before, regarding Zippy..I think he is getting long in the truth, He's probably in Socks or Slippers full time. I put him mush-mind. I'm willing to go with you because I don't know.. the stuff he posts makes me laugh more than grimace.

Its not always easy for me to detect who is a devious nut job just trying to tweak people with posts. I got had by checkmark who looped me into thinking he was a 16 year old kid from Canada.. Then after it was clear he was something else.. it pissed me off... because I'm not set up to detect these weirdos..

Last edited by Suff; 12-07-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
I'm in the industry.
I caught you on TVG for 30-45 minutes last week, it was the day you told the story about riding your bike between Gulfstream and Calder. I enjoyed it. You were funny, self-deprecating and entertaining.