Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Nitro

Change to Pass Interference Penalty in the NFL

Change to Pass Interference Penalty in the NFL.

As far as I’m concerned this is biggest farce in professional football.
I mean isn’t obvious to anyone in the NFL that the Quarterbacks (FOR YEARS) are intentionally throwing those deep passes just hoping for that interference call?

Why not make it more realistic and less of a game changer like college football where a pass interference call like that would only provide a 15-yard penalty?
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Teach

Here! Here!

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post

I mean isn’t obvious to anyone in the NFL that the Quarterbacks (FOR YEARS) are intentionally throwing those deep passes just hoping for that interference call?

Why not make it more realistic and less of a game changer like college football where a pass interference call like that would only provide a 15-yard penalty?
Is it any less of a gamechanger to purposely interfere 30 to 80 yards down the field knowing it will only result in 15 yard penalty. The pros are much more adept at pulling that off than college players.
Quarterbacks internationally throwing downfield hoping for a pass interference penalty is rare at best as their first choice is to complete the pass.
Regardless of rule, there will always be attempts to exploit if at all possible.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Is it any less of a gamechanger to purposely interfere 30 to 80 yards down the field knowing it will only result in 15 yard penalty. The pros are much more adept at pulling that off than college players.
Quarterbacks internationally throwing downfield hoping for a pass interference penalty is rare at best as their first choice is to complete the pass.
Regardless of rule, there will always be attempts to exploit if at all possible.
Wow! What Pro football have you been watching?

Of course, they’d like to complete the long pass, but isn’t it convenient that there’s another option to move the ball way down the field with an interference call?

And BTW when it happens it can be a game changer just as if the pass were caught.
My suggestion simply alters that possibility.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Bogo

How about this. Spot of the foul for flagrant pass interference and 15 yards for others. This would stop a defense from mauling an open receiver way down field and nickel and dime calls wouldn't be so severe.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Same thing has happened in basketball. Players used to make pump fakes, crossovers, head fakes, etc. to get the defender out of position and to actually get off a cleaner shot. Of course they got fouled sometimes as a result. The difference is now most of the time it is the actual goal, just to get a whistle.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Wow! What Pro football have you been watching?

Of course, they’d like to complete the long pass, but isn’t it convenient that there’s another option to move the ball way down the field with an interference call?

And BTW when it happens it can be a game changer just as if the pass were caught.
My suggestion simply alters that possibility.
Watch as many NFL games as possible and have for many, many years.
How is it another option? You have to first have PI occur and then have it be called . I'm not saying that in certain circumstances it is not throw it long and hope but that is a desperate mindset that depends on too many factors.
I agree that your suggestion is very valid but as I said prior that will bring in a entire different scenario that seems worse.

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 01-29-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
Cuffdaddy

Or perhaps a hybrid penalty depending upon how many yards the spot PI foul is.
15-30 yards: 15 yard PI penalty
31-55 yards: 30 yard PI penalty
And so forth...
Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #9
Valuist

I'm a believer in putting limits on PI. Maybe even allow up to 20 yards. We never know for sure the pass would be completed. Defensive holding is only 5 yards and automatic first down, and the line between PI and defensive holding sometimes is blurry.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
ctownraces@bp

I would be happy if they would start playing real tackle football instead of this shit they play today you can have contact if you hit them here but not here here or here sorry its football I miss the big hits. They or paid enough for the risks and they are not forced to play. Take the skirts off bring back the game from years past not todays entertainment NFL/WWE style. Shit the nba was more of a contact sport in late 80s and early 90s then the NFL is now.

Last edited by ctownraces@bp; 01-31-2019 at 06:23 PM.
ctownraces@bp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownraces@bp View Post
I would be happy if they would start playing real tackle football instead of this shit they play today you can have contact if you hit them here but not here here or here sorry its football I miss the big hits. They or paid enough for the risks and they are not forced to play. Take the skirts off bring back the game from years past not todays entertainment NFL/WWE style. Shit the nba was more of a contact sport in late 80s and early 90s then the NFL is now.
I don't get this kind of thinking. You could say the same about seat belts or airbags. Sometimes you have to look out for people above what they will do for themselves. These players are often very young and probably don't have the perspective to understand the future they are likely to have if the get CTE.

Now that I know the effects, I don't enjoy the big hits at all any more. It makes me cringe actually.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:07 AM   #12
ctownraces@bp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I don't get this kind of thinking. You could say the same about seat belts or airbags. Sometimes you have to look out for people above what they will do for themselves. These players are often very young and probably don't have the perspective to understand the future they are likely to have if the get CTE.

Now that I know the effects, I don't enjoy the big hits at all any more. It makes me cringe actually.
Not saying your right or wrong but I think a person should be able to do what they as long doesn't affect other intentionally. If we keep regulating and telling everyone what to do we gonna look like robots (we sorta do cell phones). I live life and enjoy myself try not to bother anyone.

Cj bottom line we all gonna get it someway people die at work making a lot less. It is what it is . LIFE is a lot of what ifs and gambles if we all bet the same horse what fun would that be .

Cj don't get me wrong I have much respect for you have great one

Last edited by ctownraces@bp; 02-01-2019 at 03:11 AM.
ctownraces@bp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownraces@bp View Post
Not saying your right or wrong but I think a person should be able to do what they as long doesn't affect other intentionally. If we keep regulating and telling everyone what to do we gonna look like robots (we sorta do cell phones). I live life and enjoy myself try not to bother anyone.

Cj bottom line we all gonna get it someway people die at work making a lot less. It is what it is . LIFE is a lot of what ifs and gambles if we all bet the same horse what fun would that be .

Cj don't get me wrong I have much respect for you have great one
All good with me, I never have a problem with someone expressing an opinion. I certainly understand yours.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: