Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #8731
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Atheists, in scripture, are characterized as fools!!!
Ad hominem argument! I've pointed that out before.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #8732
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Is a village missing an idiot?
Ad hominem!

Is that really the best you can do?

Last edited by Actor; 12-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #8733
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Being a Christian has nothing to do with a person's morality but everything to do with God's gifts that he gives to his elect -- including the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Plenty of Protestant denominations would disagree. I think the Roman Catholic Church would also disagree.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #8734
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
And what does history teach us about atheism? You can point to despots who were atheists, e.g., Stalin. But there were also despots who were Christian, e.g., Hitler. To equate atheism with despotism is an instance of the Fallacy of Affirming the Consequent. Eagles are birds. Eagles can fly. Penguins and ostriches are birds, therefore penguins and ostriches can fly. It just isn't so.

What does what Franklin said have to do with religion? Franklin was a deist which, at that time, was probably about as close he dared come to admitting that he was an atheist.

Recall what Winston Churchill said, "Democracy is a very bad form or government. It's just that all the other forms are worse."

Oh, shit! This is as good as it gets. Do I think I can come up with something better. No, I cannot.
Hitler was no more a Christian than you are. Historical facts contradict your opinions about what is and isn't so about atheists governing countries.

Franklin was an architect of the form of government and he understood the type of society the form of government needed to exist.

The U.S. form of government is not a democracy, it is a democratic republic. Another fact you do not understand.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 12-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #8735
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Ad hominem!

Is that really the best you can do?
Only the best deserve the best. If Christ never existed than, by definition, a religion named after Him by his followers existed before Christ ever existed. What village did you wander away from?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 12-12-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #8736
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Benjamin Franklin's own words, per his autobiography.

Quote:
I never was without some religious principles. I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity; that he made the world, and governed it by his Providence; that the most acceptable service of God was the doing good to man; that our souls are immortal; and that all crime will be punished, and virtue rewarded, either here or hereafter.
Doesn't sound like a deist to me, as he confesses the world is governed by God's providence. And certainly not an atheist.

Franklin belonged to the Presbyterian denomination of Christianity.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 12-12-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #8737
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Hitler was no more a Christian than you are.
Whether he was or was not a true believer we will never know. Nevertheless he claimed to be carrying out the will of God.

Quote:
Historical facts contradict your opinions about what is and isn't so about atheists governing countries.
Unsupported generality.

Quote:
Franklin was an architect of the form of government and he understood the type of society the form of government needed to exist.
The Greeks had a democracy and the Romans had a democratic republic. Those did not last. Franklin was musing about whether ours would last.

Quote:
The U.S. form of government is not a democracy, it is a democratic republic. Another fact you do not understand.
I was quoting Churchill. Maybe he did not understand it.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #8738
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
If Christ never existed than, by definition, a religion named after Him by his followers existed before Christ ever existed.
Correct. They named their religion after a person who never existed. Similar to the way the Mormons are named after a guy named Mormon who also never existed.

However, as a child I was taught (Southern Methodist) that the Christians did not name themselves. The term Christian (or Christ Ones) was applied to them by the Roman authorities. Whatever.

Last edited by Actor; 12-12-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #8739
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Correct. They named their religion after a person who never existed. Similar to the way the Mormons are named after a guy named Mormon who also never existed.

However, as a child I was taught (Southern Methodist) that the Christians did not name themselves. The term Christian (or Christ Ones) was applied to them by the Roman authorities. Whatever.
It doesn’t do any good to refer to yourself or anyone else as an ‘atheist’ because that word is purely negative in connotation...it essentially functions as a carefully crafted SLUR word upon decent people who have any kind of sense left...we are more than just non-believers of spookcraft...

Monotheists realize that “atheist” is a SLUR and they delight in using it....part of the arsenal for character assasination.

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 12-12-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #8740
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post

Monotheists realize that “atheist” is a SLUR and they delight in using it....part of the arsenal for character assasination.
That's just politically correct B.S. you're peddling.
Perhaps we shouldn't call horses horses either or goats goats?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #8741
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
That's just politically correct B.S. you're peddling.
Perhaps we shouldn't call horses horses either or goats goats?
Fine, then you can begin calling both Actor and myself ‘Reasonable Men” instead of “atheist”...

It is a positive, instead of a negative...
Old 12-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #8742
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Whether he was or was not a true believer we will never know. Nevertheless he claimed to be carrying out the will of God.

Unsupported generality.

The Greeks had a democracy and the Romans had a democratic republic. Those did not last. Franklin was musing about whether ours would last.

I was quoting Churchill. Maybe he did not understand it.
Hitler and his inner circle were occultists. He was carrying out the will of the god they worshiped.

Much more than musing. Both Franklin and Adams they tell, in their own words, what is needed for the type of government they gave us to continue its existence.

Quoting Churchill in relation to my question to you about Franklin and the continuation of our form of government is nonsensical, unless you did not understand the actual form of our government.
George Washington
Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #8743
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Fine, then you can begin calling both Actor and myself ‘Reasonable Men” instead of “atheist”...

It is a positive, instead of a negative...
Only in your head it is negative.
When people refer to atheists in conversations they are not being negative.
They are describing what atheists have been called for decades and decades.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #8744
boxcar

Quote:
Ad hominem argument! I've pointed that out before.
Hey...I'm only quoting scripture. Why are you so upset? Scripture "proves nothing", right? And I was referring to all atheists, not anyone in particular.

Grow thicker skin someday. If that day should ever arrive by a miracle of God, maybe you'll find your adulthood, too.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #8745
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
No, sir...once again you are mistaken. Jesus also made that "outrageous proposition" to the man who had to bury his father first...and to that other man, who had to go back and "inform his family" of his decision to abandon them and follow Jesus. Jesus wasn't just referring to the money-worshiper when he made that "outrageous proposition"...that's just another one of your convenient excuses. But you'll have to save those excuses for someone else...because they don't wash with me.
To what "outrageous proposition, specifically, are you referring? I thought Jesus made one specific "outrageous proposition" to the rich guy? Didn't he tell the rich guy to liquidate all his assets and give them up to the poor? Or are you reading out of a different bible?