Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #61
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
It can only change in 30 days if you can get the whales onboard.

I don't see that happening. LOL
When you see tracks posting massive increases in handle recently, they aint giving up on that gravy train.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #62
classhandicapper

Quote:
After the match with Deep Blue, GK said he could beat Deep Blue if he was allowed to study Deep Blue as much as Deep Blue was "allowed" to study him. So, maybe those that bet the win pool need to study up on what the whales are betting on and bet something else.
I said the same thing awhile back.

Math/Computer guys are going to do a better job analyzing data, building models, and getting optimal bets in, but some of the game does not lend itself to number crunching because things change so rapidly or an answer requires subjective judgement.

If you are really good at judging horses in the paddock, you will probably have an edge over the math/computer guys even if they employ someone to help in that area.

If you are really good at picking up on biases by watching races and seeing how the horses are running in different paths, you should be able to pick up on things quicker than math/computer guys.

I'm going to guess that most computer models use speed figures because it's easier to input a number that tells you how well a horse ran than it is to subjectively analyze the quality of a field, watch the race, and see how horses with similar and different trips ran relative to each other.

Non computer players should be in good shape at pretty much anything that requires visual skills, subjective analysis, and a lot of experience.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #63
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If you are really good at judging horses in the paddock, you will probably have an edge over the math/computer guys even if they employ someone to help in that area.

If you are really good at picking up on biases by watching races and seeing how the horses are running in different paths, you should be able to pick up on things quicker than math/computer guys.
And if you understand how some trainers operate, you will have a huge edge over the number crunchers. That's about all I bet on anymore; the latest was The Best Candy at Gulfstream in yesterday's 10th. I waited on that horse to return for several months, and when it did, it was up against a future stakes winner who fortunately was as green as grass. It's also what points me towards Tap N Kirk in the upcoming 3rd at TuP, although the latter is more of a shot than a good thing, and I'm not touching it at its current 3-1 odds.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply