Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
Fager Fan
Veteran

No minimum payouts

In a time where whales are an issue for handicappers and getting in those last second wagers, I'm sort of curious what the landscape would look like if there were no minimum payouts but instead payouts of the actual odds.

I'm not sure why the house should pay out minimum odds. If you bet a 1-2 shot, why shouldn't you take the payout that you put your money on?

Would this affect late wagering, whales, bridge jumpers, spread the betting, etc to make wagering more strategic and perhaps a better landscape, or would this be a terrible idea?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
In a time where whales are an issue for handicappers and getting in those last second wagers, I'm sort of curious what the landscape would look like if there were no minimum payouts but instead payouts of the actual odds.

I'm not sure why the house should pay out minimum odds. If you bet a 1-2 shot, why shouldn't you take the payout that you put your money on?

Would this affect late wagering, whales, bridge jumpers, spread the betting, etc to make wagering more strategic and perhaps a better landscape, or would this be a terrible idea?
It already done

Thats exchange wagering. as the TVG commercial says "If you like the odds, you take the odds"

You lay out you cash and receive to the exact penny the odds you took without pesky breakage.

12% commission on winning markets (not winning bets).

what is there not to like?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
It already done

Thats exchange wagering. as the TVG commercial says "If you like the odds, you take the odds"

You lay out you cash and receive to the exact penny the odds you took without pesky breakage.

12% commission on winning markets (not winning bets).

what is there not to like?

Allan
That's not the same though as it's not parimutuel, right?

Though I was wondering how to offer somewhat fixed odds in a parimutuel environment.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
green80

Quote:

Though I was wondering how to offer somewhat fixed odds in a parimutuel environment.

You can't
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
biggestal99

Quote:

Not sure how that would work in the parimutuel game as every time horses take money the odds change.

Parimutuel is the opposite of fixed odd, they are variable odds until betting stops.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Not sure how that would work in the parimutuel game as every time horses take money the odds change.

Parimutuel is the opposite of fixed odd, they are variable odds until betting stops.

Allan
That's why I said "somewhat."

What I'm wondering is if there could be multiple pools closing in 5 min increments between the races, so still parimutuel, but not the last second money all into one pool. Still chewing on this one and how it'd work.

Just batting things about.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
That's why I said "somewhat."

What I'm wondering is if there could be multiple pools closing in 5 min increments between the races, so still parimutuel, but not the last second money all into one pool. Still chewing on this one and how it'd work.

Just batting things about.
Same thing would happen:

1. I bet at 5 minutes and see 4/1 on my horse.

2. My money and the others who bet at the same time, change the odds on my horse to (say) 5/2.

3. I didn't get 4/1.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: