Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
westernmassbob

Off track scratches what can be done?

Have tracks ever thought about incentivizing purses to keep horses from scratching when it’s an off track or turf to dirt change ? It seems like a ton of money is lost in take out when up to half the fields scratch when it rains. Hundreds of thousands are lost on an off track card day. Increase the purse on these poor weather days so that owners and trainers don’t scratch. I’m sure I’m being a bit naive as there is probably more to this but from a financial standpoint the track has nothing to lose because the more entries the more they make.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
sharkey11

great idea sir. i think that they all have there own intrests in mind as if a track or racecino would care about custmers to them we are all a captive audince always have been always will be .but a very good wish indeed sir
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Have tracks ever thought about incentivizing purses to keep horses from scratching when it’s an off track or turf to dirt change ? It seems like a ton of money is lost in take out when up to half the fields scratch when it rains. Hundreds of thousands are lost on an off track card day. Increase the purse on these poor weather days so that owners and trainers don’t scratch. I’m sure I’m being a bit naive as there is probably more to this but from a financial standpoint the track has nothing to lose because the more entries the more they make.
It doesn't matter what the purse is if the trainer thinks his horse is going to finish up the track they will still scratch.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

A lot of trainers scratch on off tracks to protect their horse.

It is a valid concern.

IMHO, while the scratches are inconvenient, the alternative is to force the horse to run.

Imagine the lawsuit demanding the track be responsible for forcing a horse to run in bad weather when the horse is badly injured.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
A lot of trainers scratch on off tracks to protect their horse.

It is a valid concern.

IMHO, while the scratches are inconvenient, the alternative is to force the horse to run.

Imagine the lawsuit demanding the track be responsible for forcing a horse to run in bad weather when the horse is badly injured.
Nobody said anything about forcing a horse to run. The point was to raise purses on off track racing days in hopes entrants would not scratch. I almost buy into scratching a horse due to safety concerns and bad weather however what’s that saying about the trainers who leave their horses in? A sloppy track is a sloppy track if things were that unsafe they would cancel the card. I have already talked to one trainer today about this idea I came up with. He said it would depend on the purse increase amount but it seems logical more horses would stay in. He also stated that he likes when half the field scratch because the purse stays the same with less competition.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Nobody said anything about forcing a horse to run. The point was to raise purses on off track racing days in hopes entrants would not scratch. I almost buy into scratching a horse due to safety concerns and bad weather however what’s that saying about the trainers who leave their horses in? A sloppy track is a sloppy track if things were that unsafe they would cancel the card. I have already talked to one trainer today about this idea I came up with. He said it would depend on the purse increase amount but it seems logical more horses would stay in. He also stated that he likes when half the field scratch because the purse stays the same with less competition.
A valid trainer stat is if a trainer decides to leave a horse in on a very wet track.

IOW, "worth the risk."
Old 07-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Race tracks need roofs
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
The_Turf_Monster

I don’t know too many bettors that are interested in betting an off track
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #9
MONEY

Quote:
I have already talked to one trainer today about this idea I came up with. He said it would depend on the purse increase amount but it seems logical more horses would stay in.
At some tracks purses are already stupid high, but

Old 07-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I don’t know too many bettors that are interested in betting an off track
I bet them.
With same success as fast.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #11
SG4

Quote:

This has already been tried. Article below was from 5 years ago, would have to say the experiment was worthwhile, but a flop far as keeping fields together:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...the-turf-races
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
This has already been tried. Article below was from 5 years ago, would have to say the experiment was worthwhile, but a flop far as keeping fields together:

Thanks for that reminder.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #13
davew

the ones that stay are incentivized for higher probability of getting some of the purse
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #14
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post

Looks like the article was from 15 years ago not 5 which would explain me not remembering this. Thanks for the info. What made trying this a flop ? The article didn’t mention this being unsuccessful and the bonus carried over into the Saratoga meet that year.( I found another article ). No articles on whether it was successful or not. In any event at least someone tried that idea.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I bet them.
With same success as fast.
Me too.
None.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply