Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Poll: How do you feel about the NFL?
Poll Options
How do you feel about the NFL?

Old 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #16
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
It will take over 5hrs to run the Weds card at Saratoga with about the same amount of "action time" as an NFL game...what's the problem?
Lol...horse players love to complain.

A few years ago I started a thread about "doing the right thing" and not watching the NFL.
I got hammered.
Look where we are today

the time between races, even on days with no major races or events, is ridiculous. who wants to get out of the track at 7oo on a Saturday ? I know local business in Saratoga is not thrilled with this
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Screw the NFL....I much prefer college football, where the players are paid less money (usually) and leave the politics at home. My Trojans (class of '65) have a hot new QB, JT Daniels, who graduated HS in 3 years. Looks very polished, especially since he is 18 years old.

Screw the Trojans, I am a UCLA fan.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 PM   #18
metro

Not a total boycott as I'll watch my Vikings if they are on, and players from the Univ. of Louisville. The rest won't get my attention nor will any type of premium watch packages that I had gotten previously.

Just add them to my other boycotts.....

Morning news, evening news, late night talk shows (Kimmell, etc.), 60 minutes (hardly ever missed it in the past), SNL, most all NBA, pretty much every major newspaper and the local rag, Sporting News (which I read religiously for years...thanks for ruining that Mike DeCourcy), Sports Illustrated.... cancelled my subscription about when Trump took office and saw the direction they were headed, ESPN and their litany of empty barrel hosts, and airhead hostesses.

Baseball seems to be exempt from those that "need a platform" but I'm sure it's coming, so are the college sports....just a matter of time. Horse racing isn't even exempt now that Graham Motion suddenly finds it necessary to critique everything our POTUS does.

Eventually I'll just be left with Seinfeld reruns.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #19
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

I have never boycotted watching the NFL, but over the years the priority I have placed on watching the games has declined. And instead of watching most of the day's games I am more inclined to limit my viewing to just the local team.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Not a total boycott as I'll watch my Vikings if they are on, and players from the Univ. of Louisville. The rest won't get my attention nor will any type of premium watch packages that I had gotten previously.

Just add them to my other boycotts.....

Morning news, evening news, late night talk shows (Kimmell, etc.), 60 minutes (hardly ever missed it in the past), SNL, most all NBA, pretty much every major newspaper and the local rag, Sporting News (which I read religiously for years...thanks for ruining that Mike DeCourcy), Sports Illustrated.... cancelled my subscription about when Trump took office and saw the direction they were headed, ESPN and their litany of empty barrel hosts, and airhead hostesses.

Baseball seems to be exempt from those that "need a platform" but I'm sure it's coming, so are the college sports....just a matter of time. Horse racing isn't even exempt now that Graham Motion suddenly finds it necessary to critique everything our POTUS does.

Eventually I'll just be left with Seinfeld reruns.

My only gripe I had about baseball was when Tim McCarver was calling a play-off game I was watching, the guy was a motor mouth of useless information, it seemed like he never even stopped talking long enough to breathe. There is plenty of political spewing on ESPN's radio coverage of the local college sport's here.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #21
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

MOST DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS...AND NEVER WILL. THIS CALL WAS THE ULTIMATE, EPITOME OF A "HOMER CALL". THEY MADE THIS OBSCURE, MOSTLY UNKNOWN RULE IN TIME TO DECIDE THE GAME.
HAD THIS GAME BEEN PLAYED COWBOYS VS PATRIOTS, IN COWBOYS STADIUM, FOR EXAMPLE...IT'S SO OBVIOUS THIS IS CALLED A FUMBLE.

tHAT'S MY LAST COMMENT i'M GOING TO MAKE ON THAT.

HELL NO, I'M NOT BOYCOTTING FOOTBALL.

NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I almost never watch regular season college or NBA basketball. Interestingly enough, I referee a lot of basketball games and enjoy doing it. But watching it bores me.

I think football is like Jeopardy. I timed one of the Jeopardy programs and in 30 minutes you get about 13 minutes of actual questions and answers. In football it takes three hours to play a 60 minute game.

One other thing. LeBron James is not only a great NBA player, he gives a lot of himself to the community. Certainly that should clear up any confusion about whether he is a Muslim terrorist.
I've read that the ball is actually only in play for about 10 minutes during an NFL game.

I'll watch a little, but I've lost a lot of interest knowing what the game does to these men long term. At this point they know the risks, but I still cringe when I see a vicious shot to the head.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #23
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the three-hour game consists of 11 minutes of live action - ball in play to whistle ending play. I read about this not too long ago.

I'm going to a football game at the end of this month, so I realize what I'm going to - to see friends.

If that's way it is now, time-wise, it has been that way for years. I was surprised until I thought about it.
If we take a 9 race program encompassing 4 hours, how much time is actual action? Probably about 12 minutes.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Screw the NFL....I much prefer college football, where the players are paid less money (usually) and leave the politics at home. My Trojans (class of '65) have a hot new QB, JT Daniels, who graduated HS in 3 years. Looks very polished, especially since he is 18 years old.
College Football!

Much better.
Not even close.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #25
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
MOST DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS...AND NEVER WILL. THIS CALL WAS THE ULTIMATE, EPITOME OF A "HOMER CALL". THEY MADE THIS OBSCURE, MOSTLY UNKNOWN RULE IN TIME TO DECIDE THE GAME.
HAD THIS GAME BEEN PLAYED COWBOYS VS PATRIOTS, IN COWBOYS STADIUM, FOR EXAMPLE...IT'S SO OBVIOUS THIS IS CALLED A FUMBLE.

tHAT'S MY LAST COMMENT i'M GOING TO MAKE ON THAT.

HELL NO, I'M NOT BOYCOTTING FOOTBALL.

Don't you remember the phantom roughing the passer call against Pats DL Raymond Hamilton in the 1976 Raiders/ Patriots game allowing the Raiders to score and win the game?

Karma is a bitch.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #26
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Need better answers.

I'll ALWAYS watch the NFL at some point in time in the season. I'm sure most people you know host or attend a Super Bowl party at the very least.

Will I watch less? Absolutely.

I'm a college football junkie anyway. Way better product.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #27
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Don't you remember the phantom roughing the passer call against Pats DL Raymond Hamilton in the 1976 Raiders/ Patriots game allowing the Raiders to score and win the game?

Karma is a bitch.
Jimmy, you can't be serious. EVERY football game has phantom pass-interference calls--and twice that in mystery holding calls.

But to wait until the most crucial, pivotal moment in a game of that magnitude--to make that call, a call up to that point 99.9% of fans had never witnessed it called. Or even knew it existed.

They still call Pass interference and crucial holding calls---but they can't call the asnine Tuck rule--they quietly dropped it from the rulebook that off-season.

Have a good day

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Jimmy, you can't be serious. EVERY football game has phantom pass-interference calls--and twice that in mystery holding calls.

But to wait until the most crucial, pivotal moment in a game of that magnitude--to make that call, a call up to that point 99.9% of fans had never witnessed it called. Or even knew it existed.

They still call Pass interference and crucial holding calls---but they can't call the asnine Tuck rule--they quietly dropped it from the rulebook that off-season.

Have a good day

-NCG

To me it is pretty obvious the phantom and or questionable calls are more prevalent than ever due to the fact the interpretation of the rules is so subjective and they seem to change that interpretation yearly. I played in HS and College back in the 70's when the interpretation of the rules were pretty well defined and infractions were easier to spot. There were not a lot of gray areas where you could get away with bending the rules.

If you showed video back in that day of an offensive lineman and defensive lineman engaging and then ask "Did the offensive lineman hold?" Even on a secret ballot with no discussion the 1978 referees would probably always be almost unanimous on the opinion. Do the same thing with 2018 referees and I bet you would get lots of 75-25, and 60-40 splits.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #29
upthecreek

upthecreek is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #30
Suff
Beat up 💪

You don't have to be logged in to vote, and I think I've voted 4 times.

I'm a Boston Native so pretty hard not to be a Patriots Freak! I mean, 9 straight AFC championship games in a row? wtf is that? That's not been done since Bill Russell and the Celtics won 9 NBA Championships in 11 years.

Yes, Boston invented BasketBall.

Like the poster who said NFL games are 11 minutes of actual plays. Some college, Marcus Mariota @ Oregon and a few Baylor teams are much better for TV football.

Red Sox I live and breathe. The Red Sox hosted and won the very first world series ever played. Yes, Boston also invented Baseball.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: