Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
jazzfan

http://www.racingaustralia.horse/
jazzfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 AM   #17
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
dunno how many track in usa but i would be surprised if it's much more than over here.
on any day there might be 20 or 30 meetings on, at a guess.

https://www.racenet.com.au/tracks

obviously you guys don't get western australian races over there, or you would know the starters are too scared to press the 'go' button!

it normally takes an eternity to get them going there.
Last Saturday there were something like 30 or so thoroughbred tracks running in the U.S. and Canada, with a few quarter horse meets and about a dozen harness tracks running. There's over a 100 tracks in the U.S., though of course they don't all run at the same time. Out on the Aussie TAB sites, I've never seen more than about 10-15 running on any one day, so I'd guess there were about 60-70 or so total in the country.

The fact that many of the races go off "on time" is partly due the TV coverage schedule - the live coverage is pretty good down under (Sky TV), and when you've cover 3 or 4 tracks, you don't have much wiggle room.

http://www.skyracingworld.com/horse-racing-calendar

Steve, you are correct in that the Aussie races we get here in the states rarely carry the Western tracks, though I did see Pinjarra on Sky's schedule a couple of times this month. The time difference is already pretty drastic, and the Western tracks would be just that much later in the night for the U.S. and Canada.

You'd have to define "better" when it comes to whether Aussie racing vs American racing is the better product. I'd say the horses are more formful, but the info available and the difference in surfaces is tougher than trying to figure things in the U.S. The small pools via Woodbine are a problem for some, but I gotta say that Friday night racing from Australia (Sat PM down under) is very good, and most days throughout the year better than the top 3 or 4 tracks running in the U.S. The rest of the week, not so much.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #18
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Last Saturday there were something like 30 or so thoroughbred tracks running in the U.S. and Canada, with a few quarter horse meets and about a dozen harness tracks running. There's over a 100 tracks in the U.S., though of course they don't all run at the same time. Out on the Aussie TAB sites, I've never seen more than about 10-15 running on any one day, so I'd guess there were about 60-70 or so total in the country.

The fact that many of the races go off "on time" is partly due the TV coverage schedule - the live coverage is pretty good down under (Sky TV), and when you've cover 3 or 4 tracks, you don't have much wiggle room.

http://www.skyracingworld.com/horse-racing-calendar

Steve, you are correct in that the Aussie races we get here in the states rarely carry the Western tracks, though I did see Pinjarra on Sky's schedule a couple of times this month. The time difference is already pretty drastic, and the Western tracks would be just that much later in the night for the U.S. and Canada.

You'd have to define "better" when it comes to whether Aussie racing vs American racing is the better product. I'd say the horses are more formful, but the info available and the difference in surfaces is tougher than trying to figure things in the U.S. The small pools via Woodbine are a problem for some, but I gotta say that Friday night racing from Australia (Sat PM down under) is very good, and most days throughout the year better than the top 3 or 4 tracks running in the U.S. The rest of the week, not so much.

i might have overestimated how many meetings on any day, although saturday would get the most and probably 20 or so.
melbourne cup day would probably have 50 or more meetings on that day.

i don't follow racing here now, but western australia was my chosen poison mostly because it was so remote, so that it is basically a closed circuit, which makes it far easier for somebody like me.
and they NEVER used to get the races away on time.

i don't have any idea if american racing is better or not, i just know that australian racing is as corrupt as(in my opinion), but i refer specifically to victoria, so maybe the other jurisdictions not so bad(don't know).

i have seen mentioned here some of the tracks that are being shown in america, and a lot of them are VERY minor tracks. McKay QLD for instance is probably a level 4 track in QLD, and probably weaker still if whole country inclusive.
looking at that link you posted above, then there is a big mix of major, minor, minnow tracks there.
i myself would have no hope, unless i just picked venues that were in the same region, but they're all over the country.
steveb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
Thomas Roulston

Australia paying out 10 monies in most races might have something to do with their larger fields.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #20
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...Aussie racing is only better when it comes to the sizes of the respective fields of the two countries. It sickens me when I see what the late scratches have done to the weekday racing in this country. Our fields start out with 7-8 horses in order to appear "legitimate", and then the obligatory two late scratches reduce the fields down to 5 or 6...without even a cloud in the sky.

And this happens in New York -- where the purses have skyrocketed -- more than it happens anyplace else.
Maryland is the king of scratches; its basically unplayable
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
Rico8812

I don't know if its just my ADW that does this (Amwager), but its infuriating that 4 seconds after horses pass the wire, the feed switches to the next track up. Sometimes you gotta wait 15 minutes until the races show up as official w/ prices on the ADW site to see if you actually hit the superfecta or not.
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 AM   #22
Quesmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico8812 View Post
I don't know if its just my ADW that does this (Amwager), but its infuriating that 4 seconds after horses pass the wire, the feed switches to the next track up. Sometimes you gotta wait 15 minutes until the races show up as official w/ prices on the ADW site to see if you actually hit the superfecta or not.
All the U.S. ADW's get the same Aussie feed,the format was changed a while back,before when the telecast switched to a different track any races which weren't yet official would be crawled at the bottom of the screen,this was much preferred for the reasons you mentioned.
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: