Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #31
SoCalCircuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisVOX View Post
Older horses, mares in particular, sometimes just tell you when they've had enough. Bored, tired, ready for phase two of life etc.
An older mare and a younger colt. It looks like they're all sick of Casse.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #32
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCircuit View Post
An older mare and a younger colt. It looks like they're all sick of Casse.
For someone who "loves" both Mark and Norm, I would expect you'd be more interested in posting this video than another baseless attack against them.

This used to be a great place to talk racing, have handicapping discussions and enjoy the game with others. It's too bad. The archives here are full of useful information but those days continue to fade into the sunset with each passing day.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #33
Spalding No!

Quote:
For someone who "loves" both Mark and Norm, I would expect you'd be more interested in posting this video than another baseless attack against them.
Regardless of what transpired after the gates opened, the mere fact that Classic Empire was at a farm to work reeks of desperation.

Then in the work itself the horse clearly shuts down practically to a jog as soon as the rider eases up on him. The horse's issues, whether they are physical or mental, don't appear to be resolved. The Oaklawn preps this year have seen many a hyped horse go backwards. At this stage, it looks like it will be more of the same in the Arkansas Derby.

Ironically, his main workmate, Airoforce--who hasn't started in 6 months, was a Derby prospect early last year, too. He bombed in the Risen Star as the favorite and was immediately pulled from the Derby trail (though they still tried a Hail Mary in the lowly Spiral Stakes a couple months later). He then had to undergo "precautionary tests" to see if anything was wrong.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #34
SoCalCircuit

Quote:
So what you want me to commend him for ducking McCracken and changing his Derby prep plans yet again? Nope. I remain extremely disappointed with his barn and the way he's mismanaged his horses as of late.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #35
jballscalls

Nice day for the Casse barn as they've won the Commonwealth and Shakertown back to back at Keeneland. Plus a great win with Salty last week in the GP Oaks.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #36
rsetup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetup View Post
Surely you jest.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #37
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
He'll always be the King of Woodbine, and his dad (worked for him down here at OBS in the late 90's) was a class act.

I'm betting he'll have a good Keeneland meeting.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #38
tanner12oz

Bringing in monster numbers at kee
Old 04-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #39
linrom1
Veteran

What is this guy doing to TEPIN? She hasn't had a work out in the last 60 days.

What is he doing to Classic Empire? This guy isn't going to the Derby!

He had a DISASTER meet at Gulfstream. He said that he still got 30 horses left there. Maybe he can talk Stronach to putting Tapeta there, that might help him win a race?

I'll would bet that the rest of this Kee meet will prove to be awfull. Maybe he should take another ski vacation to Aspen while Classic Empire runs at Oaklawn.

But I suppose that if you have hundreds of horses, each worth several hundred thousand, your assistants might win few races along the way for him to take credit.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #40
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
Bringing in monster numbers at kee
Yeah he is and here's a good reason. His Kentucky assistant is David Carroll. That guy can train a horse.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Yeah he is and here's a good reason. His Kentucky assistant is David Carroll. That guy can train a horse.
I think it makes more sense financially to win at Keeneland. The Gulfstream purses, comparatively, stink.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #42
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
What is this guy doing to TEPIN? She hasn't had a work out in the last 60 days.

What is he doing to Classic Empire? This guy isn't going to the Derby!

He had a DISASTER meet at Gulfstream. He said that he still got 30 horses left there. Maybe he can talk Stronach to putting Tapeta there, that might help him win a race?

I'll would bet that the rest of this Kee meet will prove to be awfull. Maybe he should take another ski vacation to Aspen while Classic Empire runs at Oaklawn.

But I suppose that if you have hundreds of horses, each worth several hundred thousand, your assistants might win few races along the way for him to take credit.
A lot of just made up stuff in this post.

First, off he's already won three races through three days at Keeneland including two stakes so the idea he's going to have a poor Keeneland is shot to pieces. He's won 38 races this year at 18% the idea he suddenly can't train isn't supported by any data.

As far as Tepin the plan was for not to have any works until she went to Kentucky. He tried to work her last week. She balked so he scrapped it. And before anyone starts in at that a horse coming off a long layoff balking at working for the first time in about six months isn't the end of the world. She'll go to Kentucky and work there and she'll race at Churchill most likely.

Classic Empire worked on Saturday and races in Arkansas this week. Casse called the work last week "spectacular" and says all systems are go. If he wins on Saturday he's most likely the derby favorite.

The idea the guy can't train anymore is pretty dead at this point.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #43
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Both of Casse's stakes wins were with horses training in Florida. Only one horse that was based in LA/KY has won at the current meet.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #44
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think it makes more sense financially to win at Keeneland. The Gulfstream purses, comparatively, stink.
How about some guys just take a long-term approach. It's a long year and a LOT of guys don't crank horses up fully in Florida.

Graham Motion is a great example. He's won 13 races this year so far. He won 103 last year. He's trending at roughly 50% of that total in 2017.

But anyone following him knows he doesn't really start winning till after Florida and he wins a lot of races in the summer turf season in the mid-atlantic.

Does anyone doubt Casse won't be leading trainer at Woodbine? And when consider he lost Conquest and he still will win it that's very impressive.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #45
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Both of Casse's stakes wins were with horses training in Florida. Only one horse that was based in LA/KY has won at the current meet.
Oh I'm aware and that's because he wasn't based in KY this winter.

However I an tell you that his Kentucky string literally mimics Carroll's old specialities. He's great at stretching horses out and getting significant move ups 2,3 and 4th time out. He's a guy who races horses into shape.

My point being Carrol never had them fully cranked first out. You'll see these horses improve second half of the meet at Keeneland and at CD.

Btw... if Empire Classic shows up on Saturday between him and the Gary Barber filly in the Oaks he'll have one of the top betting choices in both the Derby and Oaks.
Closed Thread