Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #76
pandy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA.
Posts: 6,329
There are people that simply aren't that smart, through no fault of their own. They were born that way. There are also people who aren't that smart because they were raised in poverty, dropped out of school or went to work at a young age. Society shouldn't be allowed to take advantage of the less fortunate. Moreover, even reasonably intelligent people can make one mistake, especially when they find themselves in a stressful situation. I hate to see people get screwed because they made a bad decision. Everyone makes bad decisions sometimes.

We could take this conversation in another direction. Should a company be allowed to charge $600 for a drug that cost a few dollars to make and that could say your child's life? Do only people that are rich or have good health insurance deserve the right to protect their health, or do we just let them get screwed, too?

Last edited by pandy; 09-07-2016 at 06:32 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #77
JimG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,717
Is the "Off Topic" section of this board not large enough for you all? I'm no fan of RPM but at least it is supposed to be about horse racing.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 AM   #78
Mulerider
Registered User
 
Mulerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: East Texas
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
But pandy,thask---I'm NOT the guy that was bitching about Govt Drones in the sky. Hell, I want MORE DRONES..I want to go outside to get my paper, and see a friggin' drone in the sky.
The more I read about drones, the more I think my alternate hobbies of sporting clays and skeet might come in handy someday.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #79
Speed Figure
Registered User
 
Speed Figure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Compton, Home Boy!
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Is the "Off Topic" section of this board not large enough for you all? I'm no fan of RPM but at least it is supposed to be about horse racing.
I was thinking the same thing! What does all this have to do with handicapping software!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #80
pandy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA.
Posts: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
I was thinking the same thing! What does all this have to do with handicapping software!

We got sidetracked talking about Lasky, aka, Mike Warren. Sorry.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #81
lawmaker1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Pandy,are you going to have a software program based on your "Speed and Class Handicapping" book?
lawmaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #82
pandy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA.
Posts: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmaker1
Pandy,are you going to have a software program based on your "Speed and Class Handicapping" book?

Thanks for your interest. No, because the information for the methodology in that book is already in the Bris Race Summary.

I do have a software program that comes with my new book, Power Pace Handicapping, works with bris single files, plus other similar files.

It's early and I have a lot of research to do, but I may have a speed based software program available for my next book, preliminarily titled, "Time."
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #83
NorCalGreg
 
NorCalGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Oakland, Ca
Posts: 5,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Thanks for your interest. No, because the information for the methodology in that book is already in the Bris Race Summary.

I do have a software program that comes with my new book, Power Pace Handicapping, works with bris single files, plus other similar files.

It's early and I have a lot of research to do, but I may have a speed based software program available for my next book, preliminarily titled, "Time."
I'd definitely be interested in that--just now getting into your latest--looks good
__________________
.
.


*Newsletter sign-up
https://tinyletter.com/NorCalGreg


.

*As seen on PaceAdvantage.com, Phillips Racing Newsletter, Horseplayer Monthly, EastCoast PonyPicks... and the laptops of horseplayers everywhere!
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 AM   #84
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
I'd definitely be interested in that--just now getting into your latest--looks good
"Professional courtesy"...
__________________
"Man is ASLEEP. Asleep he lives...and asleep he dies." -- G. I. Gurdjieff
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #85
cardinalsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
RPM WORSE THAN EVER - ONE PERSON'S OPINION

RPM has been on a tear in taking other people's systems and then programming and selling them as their own. I recognized one such system on their website as actually being a system called "The Right Stuff". I can tell by the numbers in abbreviations used. I have used this system for over twenty years (with many if my own modifications) and can see from their advertising screen shots that it us NOT PROGRAMMED CORRECTLY! I actually handicaped and played several of the races shown on their website and their numbers are just plain wrong.

Maybe you actually have agreements with the original authors and the stories told are to to sell the system, so to speak. That's between you and the original authors. But the reason nobody buys your stuff is because the programming is ABSOULUTELY HORENDOUS. No offense to Mr. Z, but c'mon... GET IT RIGHT! How about a little quality control???? Maybe actually compare you the results of your work to the original system?????????

The last system I purchased RPM was 10 years ago. I stopped buying because the workout RPM provided did not match the actual results the system - not even remotely. TOTALLY MADE UP! Some of us have back issues of the Daily Racing Form, ya know?

RPM started out as a legitimate business with some legitimately good material way back in the day. Frankly, they're becoming the modern-day Mike Warren and Norris Stauss (you young folk, look it up).I'm calling RPM and Dave Powers out because they have lost all respect for serious AND casual horseplayers. Certainly they can do better!!!!!!!

Last edited by cardinalsfan; 06-19-2017 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Misspellings and grammar goofs.
cardinalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 AM   #86
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalsfan View Post
RPM has been on a tear in taking other people's systems and then programming and selling them as their own. I recognized one such system on their website as actually being a system called "The Right Stuff". I can tell by the numbers in abbreviations used. I have used this system for over twenty years (with many if my own modifications) and can see from their advertising screen shots that it us NOT PROGRAMMED CORRECTLY! I actually handicaped and played several of the races shown on their website and their numbers are just plain wrong.

Maybe you actually have agreements with the original authors and the stories told are to to sell the system, so to speak. That's between you and the original authors. But the reason nobody buys your stuff is because the programming is ABSOULUTELY HORENDOUS. No offense to Mr. Z, but c'mon... GET IT RIGHT! How about a little quality control???? Maybe actually compare you the results of your work to the original system?????????

The last system I purchased RPM was 10 years ago. I stopped buying because the workout RPM provided did not match the actual results the system - not even remotely. TOTALLY MADE UP! Some of us have back issues of the Daily Racing Form, ya know?

RPM started out as a legitimate business with some legitimately good material way back in the day. Frankly, they're becoming the modern-day Mike Warren and Norris Stauss (you young folk, look it up).I'm calling RPM and Dave Powers out because they have lost all respect for serious AND casual horseplayers. Certainly they can do better!!!!!!!
Yes, I agree. RPM was a "legitimate business" back in the day. I remember being intrigued by a system that I saw advertised in their catalog many years ago.They supposedly had "bought the rights" to the system from the gentleman who had invented it, and had used it with great success at about 25 tracks all across the country. And he had the documented proof to back up his "great success" assertions.

But those were the pre-simulcast days, and we only had access to our home tracks when placing our wagers. How was it possible that this system "inventor" was able to apply his system with real money at all those different tracks...while the rest of us only had a single track at our disposal? What would Mr. Dave Powers' fertile mind come up with...to lend credibility to this improbable story?

Why...the guy was a United Airlines PILOT...of course. And, as he flew his plane all across the country, he would spend his spare time at all those different racing locales, where he would practically clean up at the betting windows with this "wonder-system" of his...which I could now own for the paltry sum of $49.99

The only reason that shysters like Dave Powers are able to remain in business for so long is because, as the saying goes..."There is a sucker born every minute..."
__________________
"Man is ASLEEP. Asleep he lives...and asleep he dies." -- G. I. Gurdjieff

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-19-2017 at 05:35 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #87
Nutz and Boltz
I DON"T TRUST ANYBODY !!
 
Nutz and Boltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalsfan View Post
RPM has been on a tear in taking other people's systems and then programming and selling them as their own. I recognized one such system on their website as actually being a system called "The Right Stuff". I can tell by the numbers in abbreviations used. I have used this system for over twenty years (with many if my own modifications) and can see from their advertising screen shots that it us NOT PROGRAMMED CORRECTLY! I actually handicaped and played several of the races shown on their website and their numbers are just plain wrong.
They even touted a "system" which was nothing more than using the BRIS Prime Power ratings !
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #88
Longshot
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 140
Anyone remember Dr. Donald Sullivan and his power ratings from the late 70s and early 80s? I used them for a few years and they actually produce a high percent of winners though most were in the $5 to $12 range.

I also miss the old Racing Star weekly. A few of the spot systems I still use came from the Racing Star weekly. Joe Conte had a weekly feature in it.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 AM   #89
zerosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: uk
Posts: 250
Great thread..

I am reminded of an old story from back in the day before WWII. An enterprising rogue made a living hawking roulette systems, his speciality was to convince wealthy widows that he had an unbeatable system but alas it was only 'lack of funds' that prevented him from winning vast amounts of money. He once convinced one very wealthy lady to provide the 'Investment' for a trip to Monte Carlo, guaranteed to double or even triple the initial investment. After two weeks with no word from the man she had entrusted her money to she sent a telegram to the hotel where he was saying inquiring for some news. The following day she received a reply that simply said 'System doing well. Send more money'
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #90
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosky View Post
Great thread..

I am reminded of an old story from back in the day before WWII. An enterprising rogue made a living hawking roulette systems, his speciality was to convince wealthy widows that he had an unbeatable system but alas it was only 'lack of funds' that prevented him from winning vast amounts of money. He once convinced one very wealthy lady to provide the 'Investment' for a trip to Monte Carlo, guaranteed to double or even triple the initial investment. After two weeks with no word from the man she had entrusted her money to she sent a telegram to the hotel where he was saying inquiring for some news. The following day she received a reply that simply said 'System doing well. Send more money'
At least the Monte Carlo crook had the decency to only go after wealthy widows. The handicapping system-peddlers would take the lunch-money from an orphan.
__________________
"Man is ASLEEP. Asleep he lives...and asleep he dies." -- G. I. Gurdjieff
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Will Monmouth Park still be racing in 2025?
Yes - 42.17%
35 Votes
No - 57.83%
48 Votes
Total Votes: 83
Non-members may not vote on this poll.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2017 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher