Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
eastie
Double Secret Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Wow.

Why is it the things I would like to see changed (colored saddle clothes), don't and then the things I think should be left alone are changed.

I will admit that fillies and mares are second fiddle to the boys but when it comes to wagering opportunities, I take 'em as I find 'em. If the turf races for the distaff side produce a betting opportunity, I guess I'll have to make adjustments -- maybe.

Is it just me or does it seem like the BC is becoming less of an event each year?
what's wrong with colored saddlecloths ?
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
Marshall Bennett

I wish they'd alternate between CD and Belmont every year . At least everyone would know what lies ahead . Also I don't see either of these tracks having issues with synthetics in the near future . If they do , I doubt interest will be at a level to where anyone cares anymore .
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
DJofSD
Screw PC

Colored clothes -- I want them. Where are they?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
onefast99

Bring the BC back to NJ we promise better weather and a lot more "visible" improvements to the track. Gov Corzine will attend the pre-race bashes as they look for an encore act to Frankie Valli probably the Turtles or someone as famous.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #20
Grits

Indulto, here's an organization that earnestly believes I am, along with thousands of other women, coming to the racetrack on what will now be racing's NEXT TO BIGGEST DAY to be educated on Women's Health Issues. I'm coming to the track for my health, and what else, a pelvic exam?

THIS is the most stupid angle I've ever read in regard to getting women to a racetrack. I couldn't begin to be, remotely as insulted, as they should be, embarrassed.

. . . Braintrust..........Oh, beyond words!!!!

As a woman, I try, and sometime with great difficulty, to never lose my sense of humor. To that end, let me tell y'all. I've got a few c notes that says, "there's either a hat contest or a 18 kt gold jewelry bracelet that's a door prize in the festivities--somewhere".

"The Breeders’ Cup said it is developing a series of championship festivities designed to promote the new Friday format, including programs focused on women’s health."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
tt,
If there is a belated switch, I hope Belmont will be the beneficiary of the Breeders' Cup braintrust. As the idea of lumping all races for females on a single day is obviously an attempt to attract women to racing (A brainstorm lifted from Capital Offense's playbook? ), it would be interesting to see if New York were indeed fertile ground for this approach without an accompanying fur coat giveaway.

I'd like to hear Grits' opinion on whether this is actually insulting to women since those races are being relegated to the lesser of the two days.

Seems to me that re-grouping races based on surface would make more sense, especially from a handicapping standpoint.

I support the suggestion somewhere that carding all the BC races for Juveniles together on a Saturday subsequent to the Classic in order to showcase next year's potential champions and thus stifle the sadness of any newly-crowned HOY's sacrifice of superstardom to service on "Shed Row."

What a potentially perfect primetime Pick Four that would present!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
foregoforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
(colored saddle clothes)
Careful what you wish for. I guarantee some marketing hack in the BC offices is thinking about pink saddlecloths for Ladies Day.
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
added money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
"The Breeders’ Cup said it is developing a series of championship festivities designed to promote the new Friday format, including programs focused on women’s health."

Maybe they intend to make the saddle cloths PINK
Old 02-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #23
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

Quote:
I'm coming to the track for my health, and what else, a pelvic exam?
If Trevor Denman has as much trouble finding your pelvis as he did spotting Street Sense in the Juvenile, you could be in for a long afternoon.

"Out here moving like a virgin."

I'll now be crawling back into lurkerville.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
JPinMaryland

how comes they have listed on Sat. a dirt race, the dirt mile or something. Arent they running on synthetic? What am I missing again?
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #25
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Indulto, here's an organization that earnestly believes I am, along with thousands of other women, coming to the racetrack on what will now be racing's NEXT TO BIGGEST DAY to be educated on Women's Health Issues. I'm coming to the track for my health, and what else, a pelvic exam?
Quote:

THIS is the most stupid angle I've ever read in regard to getting women to a racetrack. I couldn't begin to be, remotely as insulted, as they should be, embarrassed.

. . . Braintrust..........Oh, beyond words!!!!

As a woman, I try, and sometime with great difficulty, to never lose my sense of humor. To that end, let me tell y'all. I've got a few c notes that says, "there's either a hat contest or a 18 kt gold jewelry bracelet that's a door prize in the festivities--somewhere".

They can't even keep horses healthy, what will they advocate for women -- steroid use?

I don't know about jewelry, Grits, but somebody should get "crowned" for this. Does anybody know the names of the "braintrust" members who approved this and specifically who came up with the idea?

These are the "marketing experts" who came up with "Go Baby Go." Coincidently, "Baby" then went ... OFF-TRACK!

These guys had a guaranteed winner, and just had to make changes in an industry where tradition matters. The time to spend money on fan recruitment is when there's no other racing-related activity going on to distract them from the message. Make them want to find out more.

The first emphasis should be on the horse. Show video of 1) beautifully conformed thoroughbreds running free in a pasture, 2) equine retirees in adjoining pastures racing eachother along a common fence, 3) horses nuzzling their handlers after prancing over to see what kind of treat is in store for them, 4) saddling great thoroughbreds at Saratoga, 5) riders up with great jockeys on great horses and follow them on their way to the track for a subsequent great performances (show Jaipur-Ridan as often as possible, 6) re-tell the bittersweet, rags-to-riches stories of Shoemaker, Hartack, and others, etc.

The second emphasis should be on today’s youth. For the long-term, show kids participating in the various thoroughbred racing orientation and education programs. For the short term, show humorous ads like a boxer-shorts bettor sweating out a photo finish while watching at home. He hits the exacta and just as he utters a Marv Alpert-like “YESSSS, ” his wife walks in and he sweeps her up and carries her into the bedroom. The door closes and then you hear the wife say in a muffled tone, “Oh, Baby, you’re my superfecta.”

Track management and horsemen: These NTRA/BC clowns are wasting your money. Get them out of there and start talking to real bettors and fans. We're worth the effort.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #26
Grits

Executive Officers, Breeders' Cup Ltd.
Gregory C. Avioli, CEO
Peter Land, CMO
Matthew Lutz, CFO

Breeders' Cup Limited Corporate Officers
Bill Farish, Jr., Chairman
Gregory C. Avioli, President
James A. Philpott, Jr., Secretary
Matthew Lutz, CPA, Treasurer

Breeders' Cup Limited Board of Directors
Greg C. Avioli, Antony Beck, Reynolds Bell, Jr.Robert N. Clay, Donald Dizney William S. Farish Jr.,Tracy Farmer, Terrence P. Finley, R.D. Hubbard, B. Wayne Hughes, G. Watts Humphrey Jr., Robert T. Manfuso, Satish K. Sanan, Joseph V. Shields Jr.

Breeders' Cup Limited Members & Trustees 2007-2008
Josephine Abercrombie
Helen Alexander
John Amerman
Gregory C. Avioli
James E. Bassett III
Antony Beck
Reynolds Bell, Jr.
Boyd Browning, Jr.
Alice Chandler
Robert N. Clay
Brownell Combs II
Robert Cromartie
Donald R. Dizney
William S. Farish
William S. Farish, Jr.
Tracy Farmer
Terrence P. Finley
James E. Friess
Thomas Gaines
Lucy Young Hamilton
L. William Heiligbrodt
R.D. Hubbard
B. Wayne Hughes
G. Watts Humphrey, Jr.
Roy Jackson
Brereton C. Jones
John T.L. Jones, Jr.
John T.L. Jones, III
Tom Ludt
Wayne G. Lyster, III
Robert T. Manfuso
Robert McNair
Leverett S. Miller
Clem Murphy
Maria Niarchos-Gouaze
Charles C. Nuckols, III
J. Michael O’Farrell, Jr.
James A. Philpott, Jr.
Ogden Mills Phipps
Dan Pride
Satish K. Sanan
Richard T. Santulli
J. V. Shields, Jr.
John G. Sikura
Frank Stronach
Mark Taylor
D.G. Van Clief, Jr.
Christopher Young
__________________________________________________ ________________

Owners and breeders exclusively.

Amazing, this many folks in charge; and they roll out Women's Health Issues!!!

I still cannot believe it. I truly cannot.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #27
dutchboy
Veteran

It does seem like a silly idea. However, I did read an article years ago in regard to the huge success of Hong Kong racing. Before it became such a success someone had the plan to target all of their advertising toward the young single female office worker. Theory was that the men will go where the young women are. In their case it worked out pretty good.
dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #28
Indulto
Veteran

Maybe Helen, Alice, Lucy, and/or Maria can explain it for us. Better still, perhaps Mr. Land will pay us a visit in the future.

http://www.ntra.com/blogprint.aspx?blogid=11&year=2007&month=10&day=2
NTRA BLOGS
By Alan Mann
Quote:
Quote:
But "Win and You're In" surely seems to have caught on, and I now sense some momentum in the daunting effort to market the event effectively. We read last week of the probable expansion of the series next year. And now, the Breeders' Cup has hired a new Chief Marketing Officer to "spearhead" the marketing effort for the 2008 event at Santa Anita. Peter Land brings a wealth of relevant experience, including five years as the director of marketing communications for the NBA (a position I imagine he's glad to not hold now).
http://www.breederscup.net/content.aspx?id=28147
PRESS RELEASES
Peter Land named Chief Marketing Officer of Breeders' Cup Limited
Quote:
… Land will be responsible for the integrated marketing of the Breeders' Cup World Championships, the Breeders' Cup Challenge, Breeders' Cup Stakes program and Breeders' Cup Foal and Stallion nominations. As such, he will oversee sponsorship, event planning and marketing, television, advertising, digital marketing, merchandising, licensing and communications for the organization.

… "As we looked around the sports and entertainment marketing environment, Peter truly stood out," said Avioli. "His experience with the Olympic Games , the NBA, the PGA TOUR and other successful events and properties will be a substantial asset as we continue to innovate and explore new ways to build on the brand equity of the Breeders' Cup."

Most recently, Land managed the sports, sponsorship and multicultural divisions of Edelman. Among his clients, which spanned several industries, were Canon, Duke University, GE, Johnson & Johnson, NBC Universal, NY Road Runners, PGA TOUR, Samsung and Unilever. He also managed several marketing communications programs in the fashion, music and television areas.

"The Breeders' Cup is already a stellar event on the global sports landscape," Land said. "Working together with the teams in New York and Lexington, we have an opportunity to take the brand and the event to new heights. The roster of marketing partners, including our broadcast partner ESPN, are enthusiastic about the Breeders' Cup and will be pivotal to the long-term success of the event."

… Land serves on the advisory board of the Women's Sports Foundation and the City Parks Foundation and on the board of the entertainment marketing program at NYU's Stern School of Business and the National Sports Marketing Network. …
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #29
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy
It does seem like a silly idea. However, I did read an article years ago in regard to the huge success of Hong Kong racing. Before it became such a success someone had the plan to target all of their advertising toward the young single female office worker. Theory was that the men will go where the young women are. In their case it worked out pretty good.
I'd love to hear more details about this.

How about a matchmaker handicapping contest for singles where prizes are dinner-and-a-movie dates with next closest finishing member of the appropriate gender or orientation.

"It was a dark and stormy night when your mudder nosed me out for second place at Hollywood Park."
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #30
Shenanigans

Are these people smoking crack???? What non-horse racing network is going to be willing to show TWO days of racing?? NONE of them. Therefore, BC is just shooting themselves in the foot by placing ALL the filly and mare races on friday. I beg to differ with the folks that think the filly and mare races "play second fiddle" to the other races. The Distaff has produced some of the best racing moments in BC history. The Filly Juvenile has produced some very nice fillies also.
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply