Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #136
Indulto
Veteran

http://www.troyrecord.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/BigDaily?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpa th=%2FTRD%2FSports%2FHorse+Racing&r21.content=%2FT RD%2FSports%2FHorse+Racing%2FTopStoryList_Story_17 01644
Avioli to fans: So long suckers!
By Nick Kling March 12, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Greg Avioli … has made it crystal clear he has no interest in knowing whether the Breeders' Cup appeals to us.

That is the only conclusion I can reach after evaluating recent decisions made by Avioli and Cup officials, and his reaction to the outpouring of disbelief from fans regarding those changes.

… I purposely waited several days after the second announcement before composing today's comments. I hoped the perspective of time and the chance to assess other opinions might temper my initial reaction. They have not. Several words come to mind describing various parts of these decisions: offensive, misguided and baffling are among them.

… Breeders' Cup founders created the event to accomplish several goals. Among them were to showcase the best the sport had to offer, crown seasonal champions and promote racing around the country. Scheduling the event at Santa Anita for two years violates the spirit of the founders' original intent. Placing it there also threatens to erode the caliber of the competition because of uncertainty about Santa Anita's troubled racing surface.

… Santa Anita's well-publicized problems with its synthetic racing surface have yet to be finalized. The decision by Breeders' Cup officials to trust Santa Anita may prove disastrous. When the inevitable uproar emerged from outraged fans, Avioli had a 'let them eat cake' response, saying, "Change is hard in our industry."

Here is the change needed. Racing should cut its ties to existing Breeders' Cup management and find people who care about current fans as much as they crave their schlock-driven world of sponsors, product branding and demographics.

Greg, let me know if you need the definition of "schlock."
http://www.saratogian.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/BigDaily;jsessionid=PnSnHXHNkKJhwV4n3hLJpL94cMGLv2 vH8DpW0tZh38GJyV4LQymx!1529331623?_nfpb=true&_page Label=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FTST%2FSports&r21.co ntent=%2FTST%2FSports%2FHeadlineList_Story_1717545
Changes continue at Breeder's Cup for '08
By Jeff Scott March 12, 2008
Quote:
…The recent decision to move all Breeders’ Cup races restricted to fillies and mares to Friday and rename the Distaff the “Ladies’ Classic,” however, has many people wondering whether Breeders’ Cup officials have lost touch with what passes for reality these days in Thoroughbred racing.

… Breeders’ Cup Limited is operating under the questionable assumption that bigger is always better. If the Breeders’ Cup has been successful with eight races, why not try 14? Why settle for 24 “Breeders’ Cup Challenge” races when you can just as easily have 49?

The problem with this kind of thinking is that sooner or later one reaches a point of diminishing returns. And in most respects, horse racing reached that point a long time ago. Today there are too many foals being born each year, too many horses being offered at auction, too many races, too many graded stakes and too many Grade I’s. And now there also are too many Breeders’ Cup races.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/2008bc/
Take Back the Race!

Be sure to check out the text and signature tabs.

Our own poster, Saratoga Guy, weighs in with an Equidaily editorial:

http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/opi...08/080312.html
When did 'lady' become offensive?
...And other notes on the recent announcement of 'Filly Friday'
by Seth Merrow 3/12/08
Quote:
The most instructive thing about the response to the recent Breeders’ Cup announcement of Filly Friday isn’t necessarily the content of the outrage itself, but rather that there was outrage at all over such a benign revamping.

It’s hard to get your message out there when it gets stomped on immediately. So the Breeders’ Cup organization might want to ask why that happened to Filly Friday.

… the critics of Filly Friday might also need to reflect, and ask themselves if the newly announced Day One changes are really ire-inspiring, or is the reaction simply a knee-jerk, conditioned by some prior BC announcements?

... So yeah, there are some problems with the Breeders' Cup [let's not forget the stubborn-headedness in sticking with those purple saddleclothes, either] but the outrage generated by Filly Friday really seems like much ado about nothing.

A group of racing bloggers have started a petition asking "the Breeders' Cup to reconsider these changes" and threatening a boycott.

Frankly, with venues grabbing 30% takeout rates on some wagers and the recent exclusivity problems that are gripping the telephone/internet/TV wagering side of the game, it's kind of disappointing that fans have picked as their topic of defiance the fairly benign Filly Friday concept. …
SG,
Your refusal to acknowledge that the willingness of the fans to show their defiance is itself the most significant aspect of this phenomenon, is simply more evidence of the industry’s incredible insensitivity toward its customers. It would seem that most of us don’t regard the concept as benign. IMO, however, the Distaff’s name alteration is the least offensive of the announced changes as compared with the sacrifice of the all-championship-division Ultra Pick Six and the elimination of the Classic’s role as the event’s usually climactic conclusion. Consequently, I have to agree that organizing racing fan action on that basis alone -- and with the petition's stated objective -- seems like a tremendous waste of effort and resources.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #137
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
http://www.troyrecord.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/BigDaily?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpa th=%2FTRD%2FSports%2FHorse+Racing&r21.content=%2FT RD%2FSports%2FHorse+Racing%2FTopStoryList_Story_17 01644
Avioli to fans: So long suckers!
By Nick Kling March 12, 2008http://www.saratogian.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/BigDaily;jsessionid=PnSnHXHNkKJhwV4n3hLJpL94cMGLv2 vH8DpW0tZh38GJyV4LQymx!1529331623?_nfpb=true&_page Label=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FTST%2FSports&r21.co ntent=%2FTST%2FSports%2FHeadlineList_Story_1717545
Changes continue at Breeder's Cup for '08
By Jeff Scott March 12, 2008http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/2008bc/
Take Back the Race!

Be sure to check out the text and signature tabs.

Our own poster, Saratoga Guy, weighs in with an Equidaily editorial:

http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/opi...08/080312.html
When did 'lady' become offensive?
...And other notes on the recent announcement of 'Filly Friday'
by Seth Merrow 3/12/08SG,
Your refusal to acknowledge that the willingness of the fans to show their defiance is itself the most significant aspect of this phenomenon, is simply more evidence of the industry’s incredible insensitivity toward its customers. It would seem that most of us don’t regard the concept as benign. IMO, however, the Distaff’s name alteration is the least offensive of the announced changes as compared with the sacrifice of the all-championship-division Ultra Pick Six and the elimination of the Classic’s role as the event’s usually climactic conclusion. Consequently, I have to agree that organizing racing fan action on that basis alone -- and with the petition's stated objective -- seems like a tremendous waste of effort and resources.
What a bunch of crap.
I am sick of this PC garbage. I am tried of the notion that we have the right not to be offended. I am sick of those who spend their days looking for things to bother themselves with. Screw 'em. \
Now, BC Ltd is acting foolishly by spreading out the BC races over two days.
I will not be watching or wagering in the BC this year in protest of the move of the races and the use of Sanat Anita( fake track) two years in succession.
As far as I am concerned, those who run BC Ltd can take their event and cram it where the sun don't shine.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #138
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Belmont Park will host the real Classic this year - the JCGC.
Real horses, real dirt, real champions.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #139
Pace Cap'n

Perhaps there is a reason it is called the "Breeders' Cup" and not the "Bettors' Cup".
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #140
Bruddah
Veteran

This has been one of the better threads on PA

Very informative, bright innovative ideas and funny sarcasim. However, until the self appointed monied elite comes to the realization it should be all about the racing fans and their day, this sport will continue to decay.

They should follow the examples of NASCAR, BASKETBALL, BASEBALL which successfully market to the masses. The Hoity Toity psuedo Blue Bloods control this sport and market to themselves. These events, including the Triple Crown series are really the days the psuedo Blue Bloods have set aside for themselves. They have never asked for, nor do they want the "FANS" opinion. Leave your money at the turnstiles and ticket windows. It's all about show casing them.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #141
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
Very informative, bright innovative ideas and funny sarcasim. However, until the self appointed monied elite comes to the realization it should be all about the racing fans and their day, this sport will continue to decay.

They should follow the examples of NASCAR, BASKETBALL, BASEBALL which successfully market to the masses. The Hoity Toity psuedo Blue Bloods control this sport and market to themselves. These events, including the Triple Crown series are really the days the psuedo Blue Bloods have set aside for themselves. They have never asked for, nor do they want the "FANS" opinion. Leave your money at the turnstiles and ticket windows. It's all about show casing them.
You guys remember that tune Don Henley wrote and recorded:

HEART OF THE MATTER

Bruddah, sweetheart, I think you nailed it.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2008, 03:05 AM   #142
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
What a bunch of crap.
I am sick of this PC garbage. I am tried of the notion that we have the right not to be offended. I am sick of those who spend their days looking for things to bother themselves with. Screw 'em. \
Now, BC Ltd is acting foolishly by spreading out the BC races over two days.
I will not be watching or wagering in the BC this year in protest of the move of the races and the use of Sanat Anita( fake track) two years in succession.
As far as I am concerned, those who run BC Ltd can take their event and cram it where the sun don't shine.
TS,
I agree with the second paragraph of your post, but I'm not sure who you're referring to in the first one. Please clarify so that I can address your response as it was intended, if warranted.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #143
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
... The Hoity Toity psuedo Blue Bloods control this sport and market to themselves. These events, including the Triple Crown series are really the days the psuedo Blue Bloods have set aside for themselves. They have never asked for, nor do they want the "FANS" opinion. Leave your money at the turnstiles and ticket windows. It's all about show casing them.
Perhaps that's the explanation for racing's failure to fully embrace the key to it's future ... the off-track bettor/viewer.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #144
Indulto
Veteran

http://paulmoranattheraces.blogspot....ry-little.html
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Much ado about very little
By Paul Moran
Quote:
Little of late has prompted a reaction within racing circles as stinging as the backlash that has followed the recent announcement that the Friday afternoon expansion of the Breeders’ Cup Championships will be devoted to females.

This should have been no surprise. Breeders’ Cup officials said long ago that the first phase of expansion would not be the last and the decision to separate the sexes –running all races restricted to females on Friday – while not exactly enlightened is otherwise benign.

… In time, the Friday program will come into its own, provided that Breeders’ Cup officials, who are in need of a consultant more in touch with the wider fan base, refrain from more tinkering and allow the format now in place to gain the acceptance that will accompany maturity.

While much dismay has been registered in opposition to the changes in the Breeders’ Cup format, the more alarming development is the award of the event to Santa Anita both this year and next. The sport’s season-defining races should never be run on a synthetic surface – not once, let along in consecutive years. There is always the chance, however, that Santa Anita itself could save the day when it replaces its current dysfunctional main course with one made of dirt.
How unusual that so unique a wordsmith as Moran would echo SG’s terminology (“benign,” “much ado about”) as well as his position.

Even more interesting is the recently unshackled Moran’s hesitance to unload on the BC officials when he has castigated other public figures for less.

Opinions can and should vary, yet this “what’s all the fuss about” response from both these commentators -- despite their acknowledging that fan reaction has been overwhelmingly negative -- suggests reality suppression similar to that practiced by Messrs. Land and Avioli. Moran and Morrow aren't required to agree with their readership, but they shouldn't dismiss us either.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #145
Indulto
Veteran

Responses to BC Changes seem spirited in several threads on the Derby Trail forum. Someone there received a response from the BC press guy:

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20600
Jim Gluckson response to BC changes
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #146
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:

They should follow the examples of NASCAR, BASKETBALL, BASEBALL which successfully market to the masses. The Hoity Toity psuedo Blue Bloods control this sport and market to themselves.
Sadly, the racing in-crowd is within perhaps a couple dozen slots-traps of never having to dirty their hands with racing fans again. Once enough machines are purring in their behalf, they'll have a sufficiently fat source of dedicated revenue to provide all the oats and bree they want. Expect all the grandstand and apron seats to disappear shortly thereafter ... Stronach-style.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #147
alysheba88
Veteran

I know boycotts never seem to work but am hoping people hold firm and not bet or bet less this year. Only chance of getting message across. Not putting one dollar through windows for BC. And BC has been very good to me over the years from a betting perspective. Enough is enough. Would feel like a sell out betting this year
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 AM   #148
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba88
I know boycotts never seem to work but am hoping people hold firm and not bet or bet less this year. Only chance of getting message across. Not putting one dollar through windows for BC. And BC has been very good to me over the years from a betting perspective. Enough is enough. Would feel like a sell out betting this year
A8,
I agree it's important to withhold a measure of financial support, but I'm not going to let them stop me from playing my three favorite BC races: the sprint, the Mile, and the Classic.

This year I won't be battling traffic or betting trifectas on Friday, but if Santa Anita doesn't make it impossible for the average overage player to get in there on Saturday, I'm considering wearing some kind of protest slogan.

Any suggestions?