Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #46
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I think if it was broadcast that police will let you go if you hop in your car and drive off, it will certainly increase the potential for resisting arrest, but that's not what I said.

I'm on your side Rex but every time something like this happens, whether justified, not justified or accidental, our country dies a little more. It is used to bolster the false narrative that our country is systemically racist (it's not) or that all cops are out to kill black males (they're not). There is utter disrespect for law enforcement in this country, one might say it is "systemic". There needs to be new and different tactics to deal with these situations, there is no room for mistakes.

I don't think the police need to broadcast the tactic for everyone to get the idea of what they are doing.

I can get on board with some kind of Police reform. I'm not sure this instance is a great example, but too many times Cops stick up for bad Cops. We would be far better off if law enforcement would just stand up and admit they have some bad seeds. Chauvin is a great example, every cop in America should be condemning that guy. His actions after subduing Floyd were awful. This would be a great first step towards some actual progress.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #47
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
...I don’t know what the law says about it but I wonder if it’s possible that when a suspect is about to be arrested, the first thing a cop should do is remove the car keys from the ignition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
...I do think removing the keys from the ignition is a reasonable thing that should be included in training. My guess is that it's a bit of a infringement of rights issue. You get pulled over for not using a blinker and the cop takes your keys? That might not be legal, but I see that it could be helpful.
Imo, predicting where this is headed isn't rocket science.

In the not too distant future you'll see federal statues mandating every vehicle be outfitted with an on-board computer that has both a gps transponder and a working 'kill engine' function.

Law enforcement officers in the field will be issued a directional clicker device.

I'm thinking portable hand-held units, larger units with better range that can be mounted in every patrol car, as well as industrial sized units that can be mounted on cell phone towers.

These will be ubiquitous just like other police equipment - helmets, kevlar vests, handcuffs, tasers, body cams, and sidearms, etc.

Officers will be trained to allow a suspect who is resisting to climb back into their car, get a plate number, call for backup, and follow from a safe distance.

Then, once adequate backup arrives --

If the plate number of the vehicle is known the engine of the fleeing vehicle can be shut off from a remote location.

If the vehicle doesn't have a plate - or has a fake plate - an officer will simply point and click to shut off the engine.

And the suspect will be taken into custody.

And lest you think all of this is somehow my idea of utopia... think again.

Some government contractor whose brother in law is a Congressman or Senator will likely become filthy rich selling these contraptions to law enforcement agencies everywhere.

At greatly inflated prices and at taxpayer expense.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 04-13-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #48
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
shoot out a tire...

you live a sheltered life? are you a far-left liberal in disguise?

Nobody is going to sit there and try and shoot out a tire...as if that's going to stop someone from driving away from the cops...I've seen guys driving on RIMS to get away from the cops...

So you shoot out the tire....the guy drives off anyway and plows into a couple of kids playing outside because he loses control of his car.

Quality idea.
Not even close.

I would not consider the hacks above me in rank in a PD and I would shoot a tire almost in a fluid move before I pointed the gun on a human. And unless I actually had seen a gun present my index finger would not enter the trigger guard. I am not and have never been a cop, but I do love life and never consider liberal thought period.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #49
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
LOL at people saying they should have just let him go.

Why have police at all, let's just allow people to do whatever the **** they feel like. If you want to murder someone or burglarize a neighborhood so long as you make it into your car and head home by the time the cops get there, they just let you go. Sounds awesome.
It depends on what the warrant was for? Anything short of murder or agg. robbery, manslaughter etc is not worth the trouble.

I've have been in that situation several times and I just let them drive off. You don't chase for misdemeanor warrants etc. It is too dangerous.

Example. I had an Ohio State University professor drive by me in a car with expired tags. Normally not a big deal. Except they had been expired for 2 years. I stopped her and let's just say she was less than respectful. Low and behold she had a warrant from a suburb up The road. For guess what?? Expired tags. And it was over a year old. So I told her she had a warrant. And she had to come down to the station to pay a fine. Or she was under arrest. She refused to sign my ticket. And drove away. She was a black female. In her 40s. I'm no dummy I have other tools at my disposal. I just got back in my car. Drove to the station and swore out another warrant for my ticket and resisting arrest. Wrote my report and waited for my ticket to go thru the courts (couple of weeks) And when she didn't show up to court. Another warrant was issued. Even though she had accepted. A certified letter. Advising her of the court dates, etc.

I anticipated this. A couple of weeks later on a nice boring Sunday I drove over to the upscale suburb where she lived and enlisted the help of the local po po and we went to her house and in front of her neighbors on a glorious Sunday afternoon where all of her neighbors seemed to be out in their yards I arrested her using only the necessary force required and while she screamed and kicked like crazy she caught one of the local po po right in the squirrel sack. This kick in the Nuts resulted in felony charges and she now ruined her career and was no longer employed by Ohio State. Impounded her car and 6 months later it was sold at auction. I anticipated a lawsuit but it never came. There is more than one way to......skin the proverbial cat
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #50
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
It depends on what the warrant was for? Anything short of murder or agg. robbery, manslaughter etc is not worth the trouble.

I've have been in that situation several times and I just let them drive off. You don't chase for misdemeanor warrants etc. It is too dangerous.

Example. I had an Ohio State University professor drive by me in a car with expired tags. Normally not a big deal. Except they had been expired for 2 years. I stopped her and let's just say she was less than respectful. Low and behold she had a warrant from a suburb up The road. For guess what?? Expired tags. And it was over a year old. So I told her she had a warrant. And she had to come down to the station to pay a fine. Or she was under arrest. She refused to sign my ticket. And drove away. She was a black female. In her 40s. I'm no dummy I have other tools at my disposal. I just got back in my car. Drove to the station and swore out another warrant for my ticket and resisting arrest. Wrote my report and waited for my ticket to go thru the courts (couple of weeks) And when she didn't show up to court. Another warrant was issued. Even though she had accepted. A certified letter. Advising her of the court dates, etc.

I anticipated this. A couple of weeks later on a nice boring Sunday I drove over to the upscale suburb where she lived and enlisted the help of the local po po and we went to her house and in front of her neighbors on a glorious Sunday afternoon where all of her neighbors seemed to be out in their yards I arrested her using only the necessary force required and while she screamed and kicked like crazy she caught one of the local po po right in the squirrel sack. This kick in the Nuts resulted in felony charges and she now ruined her career and was no longer employed by Ohio State. Impounded her car and 6 months later it was sold at auction. I anticipated a lawsuit but it never came. There is more than one way to......skin the proverbial cat
Wow!

Any idea what this professor was teaching at Ohio State?
Old 04-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #51
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Thank you, you said it much better than I did.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #52
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Wow!

Civics!
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #53
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Wow!

No. I never did get that info. I learned from her probation officer that she got fired. The officer that got kicked refused a plea
Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #54
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

I don’t know what the law says about it but I wonder if it’s possible that when a suspect is about to be arrested, the first thing a cop should do is remove the car keys from the ignition.
I used to do that all the time. But suspects that have been thru it before start putting their keys in their pockets
Old 04-13-2021, 09:59 PM   #55
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I just read that his warrant was for agg. Robbery with a weapon/gun

"Daunte Wright was shot dead by Brooklyn Center Police Officer Kimberly Potter Sunday after he was pulled over for 'expired license plate tags'
DailyMail.com can reveal that Wright, 20, had a warrant out for his arrest for attempted aggravated robbery charges at the time
Charging papers allege Wright and a second man, Emajay Driver, attended a party in December 2019 at the home of two women in Osseo, Minnesota

The women allowed the pair to crash after they said they didn't have a ride home The next morning, after one of the women went to withdraw $820 in rent money, Wright allegedly held her at gunpoint and demanded she give him the cash His bail was originally set at $100k with orders that he should not contact the victim or any witnesses, refrain from drugs and alcohol and not have any weapon
It was revoked in July last year due to his 'failure to not possess a firearm or ammunition' and not keeping in touch with his probation officer DailyMail.com has also learned that online speculation that Wright did not know there was a warrant out for his arrest is false "

Last edited by JustRalph; 04-13-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:09 AM   #56
Suff
Beat up 💪

Defund police I say, having never called them in my life.
We need them though, so defunding not practical, but we have to fix what we built.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2021, 12:30 AM   #57
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Defund police I say, having never called them in my life.
We need them though, so defunding not practical, but we have to fix what we built.
Exactly where you live will get a sharp rise in gang members, who is going to protect someone who has never called the police. This thing that is just a wake up call now will soon see a reverse in policy when nice guys like yourself have a spot of trouble.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2021, 03:09 AM   #58
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Exactly where you live will get a sharp rise in gang members, who is going to protect someone who has never called the police. This thing that is just a wake up call now will soon see a reverse in policy when nice guys like yourself have a spot of trouble.
I'm in a gang.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #59
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I'm in a gang.
I think it's the same gang Biden talked about...

Old 04-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #60
TJDave

She’s been charged with manslaughter.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: