Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
andicap

OTBs in Putnam County, NY

Anyone know anything about the OTB outlets in Putnam County, just north of the Westchester County border? I believe they are in Brewster and Lake Mahopac. Could not find any information about them online, even their locations.

thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Zman179
Registered Wacko

OTB operations run in Putnam County are run by Catskill OTB. Their website is http://www.catskillotb.com/about.html , but it is probably the most useless website in all of racing; it doesn't even list their branch locations, though it does mention of a branch in Brewster. Their number is (888) FUN2BET.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
hibiscus

If You’re Not a Part of the Solution then You’re Part of the Problem

When you ask, “Does anyone know anything about the Putnam OTBs…” you don’t say why you’re asking.

If you’re asking the question because you’re a regular at NYC OTB and you’re anticipating a closure and you’re now looking for the next nearest outlet then my response is a plea to open a NYRA-1 online account or wager onsite at Aqueduct. By continuing to patronize any OTB you’re perpetuating the problem and helping the cancer to thrive. NYRA needs to own the product for racing to thrive in New York and any step in that direction, no matter how small, is a positive.
hibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus
When you ask, “Does anyone know anything about the Putnam OTBs…” you don’t say why you’re asking.

If you’re asking the question because you’re a regular at NYC OTB and you’re anticipating a closure and you’re now looking for the next nearest outlet then my response is a plea to open a NYRA-1 online account or wager onsite at Aqueduct. By continuing to patronize any OTB you’re perpetuating the problem and helping the cancer to thrive. NYRA needs to own the product for racing to thrive in New York and any step in that direction, no matter how small, is a positive.
Travelling from Westchester County to Aqueduct/Belmont five days a week is not an option, that's $55 a week in tolls alone plus gas. Patrons go to OTB because of convenience.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He needs a reason to ask?
Old 04-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
hibiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
Travelling from Westchester County to Aqueduct/Belmont five days a week is not an option, that's $55 a week in tolls alone plus gas. Patrons go to OTB because of convenience.
How much are you paying in 6% graft that OTB takes on your winning bets? Bet it’s more than $55 per week if you play daily.

If you’re looking for convenience there’s nothing more convenient than betting from your living room through an ADW.

By patronizing OTB you’re feeding the leech that’s sucking the blood from the host. It’s that simple.

No, Tom, he doesn’t need a reason to ask. LOL. Without knowing where he was going with his question I had to take a guess as I formulated my comment.
hibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Linny

Even with a NYRA account you cannot watch the races online. For that you have to have another ADW.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
upset

Thats why they invented dish network
upset is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus
How much are you paying in 6% graft that OTB takes on your winning bets? Bet it’s more than $55 per week if you play daily.

If you’re looking for convenience there’s nothing more convenient than betting from your living room through an ADW.

By patronizing OTB you’re feeding the leech that’s sucking the blood from the host. It’s that simple.
Listen, maybe you're willing to pay $55 per week for tolls, $40-$50 for gas and fight rush hour traffic on the way home which can make for a 2+ hour commute from Aqueduct to northern Westchester or Connecticut, but most people aren't. I know that I wouldn't want to do that very often. In this case he can go to an OTB and bet via a phone account which gives him track price, one of which OTB offers. Or he can open an account with Twin Spires (or a similar site) and attend the OTB while wagering with the ADW via phone. The Catskill OTB's offer seating and TV's without the commute, why travel?

Last edited by Zman179; 04-11-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
andicap

betting at OTBs

On betting at OTB parlors:

I will be in the area on Wednesday as I am on a two-week holiday here.

I see a lot of people at OTB parlors in New York State making bets by phone from their other accounts which pay full track odds. Also, I thought it possible there was a teletheater/restaurant type OTB in Putnam -- similar to the 38th St., 2nd Ave., Yonkers Raceway, etc. sites where you receive full track odds.

It's embarrassing for Catskill OTB that you can't even find the parlors' addresses online. If no one here knows anything about them, I'll just have to call their Ponoma HQ.

Thanks for those who submitted non-snotty replies.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap

It's embarrassing for Catskill OTB that you can't even find the parlors' addresses online. If no one here knows anything about them, I'll just have to call their Ponoma HQ.
The only two branches that I've been to are in Nyack (Rt. 59 next to the NYS Thruway) and Suffern (in front of the NJ Transit train station). Sorry that I don't know about the branch in Brewster.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
westny

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap
On betting at OTB parlors:

I will be in the area on Wednesday as I am on a two-week holiday here.

I see a lot of people at OTB parlors in New York State making bets by phone from their other accounts which pay full track odds. Also, I thought it possible there was a teletheater/restaurant type OTB in Putnam -- similar to the 38th St., 2nd Ave., Yonkers Raceway, etc. sites where you receive full track odds.

Thanks for those who submitted non-snotty replies.
The Mahopac OTB is on Rt. 6 in Mahopac, NY...shares parking with a nice Italian restaurant...Four Brothers. The Mahopac OTB is small, but very nice. I've been there many times. Big windows that overlook Lake Mahopac. The Brewster OTB(also part of the Catskill OTB network) is also OK. I don't know much about the Fishkill OTB.

If I were going to the Mahopac OTB from NYC or lower Westchester...I would get on the Taconic Pkwy..get off on the Rt 6 exit...make a right and stay on R6 for about 6 miles to the Mahopac OTB. Easy trip.

My pals and I go to Belmont from Jefferson Valley (very near the R6 Taconic exit) and it takes us 55 min at 9:30 am and 75 minutes return at 5:35pm.

Also, Yonkers Raceway in Yonkers, NY has a sports book w/ TB wagering.

Last edited by westny; 04-13-2010 at 08:58 AM.
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
point given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
The only two branches that I've been to are in Nyack (Rt. 59 next to the NYS Thruway) and Suffern (in front of the NJ Transit train station). Sorry that I don't know about the branch in Brewster.
Note - The Suffern, NY OTB has a seperate side entrance where you pay a couple bucks admission and get track prices without the 6% added takeout.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply