Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 01:37 AM   #1
SharpCat

Good old Parx.

When push comes to shove.

SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wild race.

One I'll remember + the stewards did a pretty good job
Old 06-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
castaway01

Stewards made the right call, though I can't think of another instance where a jockey shoved another rider during a race and got put up as the winner. I'm sure it's happened at some point.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Stewards made the right call, though I can't think of another instance where a jockey shoved another rider during a race and got put up as the winner. I'm sure it's happened at some point.
And I thought the jockey on the was just using the to keep his balance.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I would much rather see riders do what they did in the Parx video... as opposed what Sam Bermudez did aboard #5 Cross of Galilee earlier today at Indiana Grand in R2.

-jp

Old 06-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I would much rather see riders do what they did in the Parx video... as opposed what Sam Bermudez did aboard #5 Cross of Galilee earlier today at Indiana Grand in R2.

-jp

Hard time understanding that ride. Checked like the horse was hurt and then hits him 8 times in the stretch.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #7
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

-jp

Jeff & Jay, did you watch a head-on replay of this race or read the chart? The 1 ducked out on the turn, the 5 overreacted to avoid contact, jock gathered the horse back under & then gave an appropriate amount of try to get a better slice of the purse. For all the head-scratching rides we might come across, I don't see how this one even enters a conversation.

The Parx race, now that was legitimately an interesting race to watch!
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Yes. I watched it.

My specific beef with the ride is the degree to which Samuel Bermudez, the rider of #5 Cross Of Galilee overreacted.

Here's what I saw:

Joseph Ramos, the rider of #1 Hard Luck Justice was tracking the leaders from the inside and a few lengths off the pace.

Samuel Bermudez, the rider of #5 Cross Of Galilee, was tracking the leaders from the outside while also a few lengths off the pace - and a length or so further back than Ramos aboard #1 Hard Luck Justice.

In the vicinity of the 3/8ths pole, without much in the way of urging, #5 Cross Of Galilee began gaining on the leaders and Bermudez was just starting his move to go around #1 Hard Luck Justice.

Just as #5 Cross Of Galilee was beginning to go around #1 Hard Luck Justice, Joseph Ramos the rider of #1 Hard Luck Justice, started to 'nudge' his way out.'

This is a move I see dozens of times each day at pretty much every racetrack there is.

Some riders have a real knack for 'nudging their way out.'

Eurico Rosa Desilva (who primarily rode at Woodbine and retired towards the end of last year) immediately comes to mind. When he decided it was time to 'nudge out' - his mount would smoothly start shifting to the outside, and sometimes even make subtle contact with the first horse to his immediate outside.

Ninety nine percent of the time there was not enough contact to catch the eye of the stewards. However, Da Silva's move involved just enough 'nudge' to get the process started.

The process being one of I'll be tipping out over the next 70 yards or so. And like it or not, now that your horse has started letting me tip out, there really isn't much you can do about it.

Sometimes the rider to the outside of someone trying to 'nudge their way out' has the experience and the mindset to not only realize what's going on, but also possesses the skills to put a stop to it.

The ability to 'nudge your way out' or put a stop to someone trying to 'nudge their way out' is one of those intangibles.

It's one of the thousand subtle ways riders are constantly testing each other.

Over time, they establish a pecking order. This has a way of influencing the quality of the mounts they get. In turn, this influences their stats for things like wins and losses as well as the amount of purse money earned.

I see this on display several times a day - especially when watching the riders at NYRA or Gulfstream.

I also see the opposite on display several times a day - especially when watching the riders at lesser circuits.

Imo, Bermudez aboard #5 Cross Of Galilee didn't just overreact - but (Imo) overreacted in a much bigger way than the situation warranted.

I say this based on the watching the action of both horses.

While watching the replay of the inquiry in progress, at no time did I see Ramos aboard #1 Hard Luck Justice even come close to cutting in front of Bermudez and #5 Cross Of Galilee in a way that the two horses were in danger of clipping heels.

While watching the action of #5 Cross Of Galilee - it's hard to miss the horse snapping his head up and down violently several times in reaction to the excess restraint.

Imo, Bermudez's ride aboard Cross Of Galilee yesterday in R2 at Indiana Grand qualifies as one of the more severe overreactions I've witnessed this year - at any track - be it major or minor.

Agree with me or disagree... either way I'm fine.

But please understand I made this post because I wanted to (fully) explain the reason I mentioned the ride in the first place.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 06-26-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
SG4

I think some consideration has to be added that these were immature 2yo's sprinting 4 1/2 furlongs while on the turn in a dirt race, if ever a jockey or horse is going to over-react, that's the perfect combo of factors.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply