Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The Belmont Stakes: 1 turn, 9 Furlongs

OK. One turn. Most of the horses will be coming in to this off 1 turn route races.

Who will be benefited by the one turn, who will be hurt?
Assuming all are 100% fit and ready to go, what are you looking for? How do you transfer 2 turn races to a 1 turn race?

Pace, early speed, jockey, stamina?

Does a jockey who has never ridden at Belmont ( or lightly) have a disadvantage knowing when to make his move?

Any of the sires particularly good at having offspring do well at Belmont?

How do Belmont 1 turn races typically play out?
Old 06-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
classhandicapper

They run so few races at 9F at Belmont, I always wonder what the condition of the chute will be like. Sometimes it seems like it's a lot deeper and slower. Maybe they don't work on it as much. It's not unusual to see a few 9F races with very slow first quarters that really aren't as slow at they look.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
Clocker

The Belmont is a 1 1/2 mile race. Calling something else the Belmont doesn't make it that. It's just another 9 furlong stakes race.

If you cut the 26 mile Boston Marathon back to 10 miles and still called it the Boston Marathon, what would the public reaction be?
Old 06-19-2020, 06:33 AM   #4
porkchop

I actually thought that the powers that be would move the preakness to saratoga as the travers two weeks later run the derby and three weeks after that run the belmont at its usual distance . it just sounds logical to me and a much better chance of allowing fans to be at the rail but not gonna happen
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
OK. One turn. Most of the horses will be coming in to this off 1 turn route races.

Assuming all are 100% fit and ready to go, what are you looking for? How do you transfer 2 turn races to a 1 turn race?

Does a jockey who has never ridden at Belmont ( or lightly) have a disadvantage knowing when to make his move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
They run so few races at 9F at Belmont, I always wonder what the condition of the chute will be like. Sometimes it seems like it's a lot deeper and slower. Maybe they don't work on it as much. It's not unusual to see a few 9F races with very slow first quarters that really aren't as slow at they look.

It's nice for forwardly placed speed horses.

get into details and move 'E' leader and/or presser types into two categories
  1. bat out of hell
  2. station-to-station
The 'bat out of hell' raw speed is the type of speed who benefits most from the 1 turn route. Not that the 1-turn carries them, it's just that they don't require the ability to play a turn soon after the break. The station-to-station isn't necessarily hurt by it, but if their last race was a 2-turn, where they got a dream position exiting the 1st turn, then you have to consider that advantage may not exist at 1-turn.
I can't downgrade Tap It to Win whatsoever, since he last raced over a slightly shorter version of the same track/config.

Tiz the Law is the type of horse who can break, and then relax and cruise, and then move into a perfect stalking position. There isn't the fear of saving ground vs. getting shuffled/pinched into the first turn for Manny Franco. Post is just lovely in this situation.

Some of you guys probably have Stats and/or videos or Charts for Stakes/allowances/OCs going 9f Belmont. We've got our share of 8.5f (1m 1/16) to look at, at Belmont park, so you can kind of 'fudge' that and say 8.5f w/ a little less significance on post position, and a little more significance on stamina.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 06-19-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I assumed two turns helps speed horses, gives a bigger chance those chasing lose ground. This is even more so since the horses are usually running faster on dirt during the first turn so the ground loss is more detrimental.

But, the numbers don't show it. In 9f dirt races at Belmont, average lengths behind of the winner at the 1/4 and 1/2 are 2.13 and 2.04. At all other tracks, which are all two turns, the average is 2.90 and 2.82. That is a pretty significant difference.

Maybe the hard run to the first turn when horses try to establish position takes a bigger toll on speed horses than I realized, but the why doesn't matter that much. Numbers don't lie.

Last edited by cj; 06-19-2020 at 01:02 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
ubercapper

Although I'm using Tiz the Law and Sole Volante on all my wagers, especially horizontals, I think the one turn route gives Fore Left a chance to outrun his odds if he runs as he did in the 2000 Guineas.

The Belmont is the last race on my Key Races blog here
https://www.amwager.com/belmont-hors...y-june-20-2020
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The Belmont is a 1 1/2 mile race. Calling something else the Belmont doesn't make it that. It's just another 9 furlong stakes race.

If you cut the 26 mile Boston Marathon back to 10 miles and still called it the Boston Marathon, what would the public reaction be?
Yeah, that is what the thread is about......
Old 06-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Although I'm using Tiz the Law and Sole Volante on all my wagers, especially horizontals, I think the one turn route gives Fore Left a chance to outrun his odds if he runs as he did in the 2000 Guineas.

The Belmont is the last race on my Key Races blog here
https://www.amwager.com/belmont-hors...y-june-20-2020
Agreed .

Those are some strong opinions.

The configuration, and field really fits your Belmont long shot, Fore Left,
like a glove.

His Two Thousand Guineas in Dubai was a similar ask (style, not Graded Class), and go back to his G2 Best Pal 2yo Stakes, as well.

Has not shown the closing kick and stretch stamina, but there's a scenario where he's in the mix turning for home, and could multiply a vertical exotic payout.

Who's to say that Doug O'Neill doesn't have him thriving and ready to give a willing effort??
Old 06-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Maybe the hard run to the first turn when horses try to establish position takes a bigger toll on speed horses than I realized, but the why doesn't matter that much. Numbers don't lie.
I think that's pretty much a nightmare trip unless the track is playing to the outside or the pace just happened to be very slow. I agree with what you are implying in that it's very hard to quantify exactly. I tend to try to look at the horse's overall record and excuse a trip like that unless the horse quit very quickly and very badly. The faster the pace and the wider the horse, the more likely I am to just toss the race and look at back races.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-20-2020 at 11:35 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Tiz the Law looks like an obvious and legitimate favorite, but there are quite a few horses that look eligible to jump up and aren't so far off him that they can't move past him unless he also fires a new peak. Th bigger problem (at least for me) is that from that 2nd group you can make a similar case for 4-5 horses to jump up. So it's not such an easy race to key a horse as part of the exotics.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
azeri98

Quote:

Tapit has sired 3 Belmont winners but that was at a mile and a half
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

the case for Pneumatic

Quote:
... How do you transfer 2 turn races to a 1 turn race?
'a reach' = Pneumatic.
  • Last time in Matt Winn S. 'in tight' on rail in 1st turn (of 2-turn race)
  • Only has 3 races so far
  • not Asmussen's best, but his Oaklawn race and Matt Winn were in the ballpark of hitting the board today
  • possible forward-flow scenario, vs Tap It, TIZ and some long shots
Old 06-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #14
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
'a reach' = Pneumatic.
  • Last time in Matt Winn S. 'in tight' on rail in 1st turn (of 2-turn race)
  • Only has 3 races so far
  • not Asmussen's best, but his Oaklawn race and Matt Winn were in the ballpark of hitting the board today
  • possible forward-flow scenario, vs Tap It, TIZ and some long shots
He's on my short list of horses to use.

I thought the track may have gotten a little more closer favoring later in the card last time. I'd like him more if the race had totally fallen apart, but NY Traffic also hung around as did the 4th horse early. Either way Maxfield would probably be the 2nd choice or maybe even the favorite here. He wasn't far off him on a track that certainly wasn't helping. I think he'll probably rate a bit today instead of going to the lead. I just don't see him as clearly more likely than some of the others to either pull off the upset or fill out the exacta, but I'll use him.

It's actually a very good race even if it's missing some of the best 3 yos due to injury or scheduling.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Class - What is going to happen with Tap It to Win??

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
He's on my short list of horses to use.

I thought the track may have gotten a little more closer favoring later in the card last time. I'd like him more if the race had totally fallen apart, but NY Traffic also hung around as did the 4th horse early. Either way Maxfield would probably be the 2nd choice or maybe even the favorite here. He wasn't far off him on a track that certainly wasn't helping. I think he'll probably rate a bit today instead of going to the lead. I just don't see him as clearly more likely than some of the others to either pull off the upset or fill out the exacta, but I'll use him.

It's actually a very good race even if it's missing some of the best 3 yos due to injury or scheduling.
Yea, he 'hung' just a bit in the Matt Winn, and although the Track didn't help, the race held apart aside from Maxfield...

I'm kinda 'reaching' with the idea that being outside, and no turns out of the gate, and maybe improving a bit as a lightly raced horse could chase into a board spot?