Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #61
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Obviously, I can't speak for Mr. Cratos. However, accurate remote non-contact weighing can be performed with machine vision.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #62
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetup
The answer to all your data issues: write some Python code to pull data from videos.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #63
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Using Trakus data, you can independently check each horse race performance and I would think that you would calculate “work” done by the horse to understand how its energy was distributed.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #64
rsetup
Veteran

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Visual Basic or bust?
rsetup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #65
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetup
:

Visual Basic or bust?
What do you mean ??
Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #66
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I think people get confused by certain types of biases.

1. There are biases where the entire surface is more or less tiring than usual.

2. There are biases where certain paths may be faster than others.

3. There are biases where certain paths may be more or less tiring than others.

The distinction between #2 and #3 is significant when trying to understand what's going on with horses running on the rail. It's sometimes why it appears there is conflicting evidence when there actually isn't.
Exactly these are not speed or closer biases but path biases.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #67
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Obviously, I can't speak for Mr. Cratos. However, accurate remote non-contact weighing can be performed with machine vision.
(Heart Girth^2 x Body Length) ÷ 330

I'll give it a spin. I'm more interested in other video analytics which are much more telling of performance expectations.

Last edited by BCOURTNEY; 09-07-2016 at 10:30 PM.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #68
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
What do you mean ??
He means Visual Basic ... forever.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #69
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
Exactly these are not speed or closer biases but path biases.

Why don't any of the "PATH-BIAS" detectives ever post up a selection--with your carefully-gleaned info on such a horse being a "PATH-BIAS" victim last out-and sure to run better today?

There is absolutely no value in guessing at a bias.....

This is this just mental chewing gum--with no actual real-world value

Oh well...makes interesting fodder for horse forums I suppose.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #70
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Are you kidding or just validating the use of your software (which obviously wants to deter anyone from believing that paths or biases matter)???

You seriously must be joking. Have you ever watched a race from the mountain? Do you any idea how the inside paths have been total quicksand most of this summer?

Of course you do. You can't be that naive but you want your purchasers to be ......

And yes I have made many picks off dead path trips.

No value? Are you kidding? That is where immense value comes!

I can't read you. Not sure if its selfish intent or denial or a combination.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #71
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If you base everything on a long term computer model you will never spot the aberrant days, where the opportunity to capitalize hide out.
Like being able to judge horses who were aided by a golden rail, or compromised by a dead one. Isn't that what knowing if there was a bias or not?

And it has nothing to do with work or weight or anything like that.

Last edited by Tom; 09-07-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #72
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Using Trakus data, you can independently check each horse race performance and I would think that you would calculate “work” done by the horse to understand how its energy was distributed.
I haven't tested this at all. However, I can see where joules is a great unit to use to describe energy, and most track bias discussions seem to center around it's conservation, distribution and expenditure. It would be interesting to model energy ravines for path biases for example - to measure what others are qualitatively in a quantitative way. Thread discussed the need for a yardstick to measure bias, joules is a valid candidate. We also need a control data set to evaluate or detect bias. Others have added useful information about the types of biases being observed. I don't use joules in my models but seems very interesting.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #73
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
When someone takes into account the factors such as whether the horses with the early lead are the ones that figured to win or whether they are taking advantage of a slow pace,or whether the rail was dead or fast not, then these so-called track speed biases disappear.

The silliest question I've heard is asking how the track is playing on the basis of the 1st 3 races where the winners went wire to wire without taking all these factors into consideration.

I'm still waiting to hear a reasonable explanation as to how the track surface can magically distinguish the difference between the hooves of front-runners and closers and favor one over the other.
The track surface does not magically distinguish between a front runners hooves and a closers hooves. However, if there was overnight or morning rain, for example, the inner paths on a turn might retain more water, which can cause horses who are leading (to spend more energy working through that part of the track). Which then gives the 1st over presser / dueler an obviously easier trip. This creates more race flow which brings more closers into the race (in the better -outside paths)

Just one example.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #74
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Are you kidding or just validating the use of your software (which obviously wants to deter anyone from believing that paths or biases matter)???

You seriously must be joking. Have you ever watched a race from the mountain? Do you any idea how the inside paths have been total quicksand most of this summer?

Of course you do. You can't be that naive but you want your purchasers to be ......

And yes I have made many picks off dead path trips.

No value? Are you kidding? That is where immense value comes!

I can't read you. Not sure if its selfish intent or denial or a combination.

I'm going to disregard your post since you can't get past the fact I sell software... and everything I post you turn it around towards that end.

You seriously must be joking if you're gonna continue to red-board about past wins. I have my opinions---and if you had any cajones you would stand by yours--in the real world of today.

If you're going to discuss an issue--try to stay on point.

Have a good evening.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #75
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
I'm going to disregard your post since you can't get past the fact I sell software... and everything I post you turn it around towards that end.

You seriously must be joking if you're gonna continue to red-board about past wins. I have my opinions---and if you had any cajones you would stand by yours--in the real world of today.

If you're going to discuss an issue--try to stay on point.

Have a good evening.
Greg, I couldn't care less about your software or anything to do with your software.

The reason I brought it up is SOLELY because you knocked the existance of track/path biases. I am SO STUPIFIED that you would feel that way, so I searched for any reason why you might feel that way.

I didn't need to search very far. The answer is extremely obvious.

Don't hate the messenger. Hate the message and please don't misplace your guilt on me (deflection).

Nevertheless, we're cool. I thought I made that clear but if you make statements in a bias thread that are ridiculous, I will call you out on it.

Good luck betting inside speeds, , on dead inside path nights at the Mountain. Let me know how that works out for you. I'm sure each loss will be an isolated event.

You have a good night too

P.S. As far as I know, one POSTER in this entire BOARD, has had the guts to post ADW stats REPEATEDLY. I don't need to prove jacks hit to anyone here.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 09-07-2016 at 11:05 PM.