Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Hanover1

Stardom Bound to Big Brown...

This spring. Last out was a dismal 5th I believe in allowance company at Gulfstream. Clearly not herself for several of the last months. I would look closely at her foals in the sales ring.....
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
sonnyp

where's the press release, phony tan, news conference, and bodyguard for this IEAH MOVE ????
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/rac...d-retired.aspx

I had a feeling this was coming... I'd like to know what went wrong with this filly...and I won't agree to someone saying she's like so many 2 yr olds that don't regain their form...she was too good.
But, whatever the reason, I am kinda bummed because I was in hopes she would come back and win a few more races...
I do think that Big Brown is a good choice, as I am sure they did their homework and this mating will be a good one....and if they decide to sell this resulting foal...the price tag should be high...after all, both are champions.

Stardom Bound & Big brown...a hot time in the old town tonight

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
I'd like to know what went wrong with this filly...and I won't agree to someone saying she's like so many 2 yr olds that don't regain their form...she was too good.
Weren't Storm Flag Flying, Sweet Catomine, and Halfbridled "too good" also?

To me, her decline was not nearly as surprising as those others (Sweet Catomine might actually have been OK, but was retired seemingly out of spite by Martin Wygod).

Not only was she racing on sythetics, and ultimately exposed outside CA, but she also hailed from Christopher Paasch's barn which has a strong track record for burning out horses by the end of their 2yo year (eg Principle Secret, Kamsack, She's Included, Prime Ruler, Cosmic Queen, Hello Lucky, etc.).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No!
Weren't Storm Flag Flying, Sweet Catomine, and Halfbridled "too good" also?

To me, her decline was not nearly as surprising as those others (Sweet Catomine might actually have been OK, but was retired seemingly out of spite by Martin Wygod).

Not only was she racing on sythetics, and ultimately exposed outside CA, but she also hailed from Christopher Paasch's barn which has a strong track record for burning out horses by the end of their 2yo year (eg Principle Secret, Kamsack, She's Included, Prime Ruler, Cosmic Queen, Hello Lucky, etc.).
Sweet Catomine's being retired was one crazy deal...spite would be a good way of putting it but...

Halfbridled retired because she had a huge problem with tieing up.
Storm Flag Flying was retired because she sustained a small fracture to her right hind leg.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Jeremy Jet

Great! The resulting offspring should be capable of racing at least four or five times before breaking down.

Thoughtful breeding at its finest.
Jeremy Jet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Paseana

Quote:
Weren't Storm Flag Flying, Sweet Catomine, and Halfbridled "too good" also
Just a reminder here......

While Storm Flag Flying had a forgettable 3yo season, suffering the only off-the-board finish of her career in the 2003 Acorn (second of only 2 starts that year), she returned to run 8 races as a 4yo. She ran in one O-C, 2 GIIs, and 5 GIs and recorded 3 wins, 2 seconds, and 3 thirds. One of her victories was in the 10f GI Personal Ensign, beating Azeri in the process, and one of her seconds was in her last race.....in the BC Distaff behind Ashado.

She really was a 2yo Filly Champion that did, in fact, train on.
Paseana is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseana
Just a reminder here......

While Storm Flag Flying had a forgettable 3yo season, suffering the only off-the-board finish of her career in the 2003 Acorn (second of only 2 starts that year), she returned to run 8 races as a 4yo. She ran in one O-C, 2 GIIs, and 5 GIs and recorded 3 wins, 2 seconds, and 3 thirds. One of her victories was in the 10f GI Personal Ensign, beating Azeri in the process, and one of her seconds was in her last race.....in the BC Distaff behind Ashado.

She really was a 2yo Filly Champion that did, in fact, train on.
As solid as she was at 4, she was mainly a bridesmaid at the upper levels and certainly didn't not fulfill the promise she displayed at 2. McGaughey has had a few of his horses have sudden loss of form much more dramatic than SFF's at 3, however. Miner's Mark and My Flag as 4yos and Rhythm early at 3 (he was horrendous at 4 as well) come to mind.

Stardom Bound won 2 Grade 1's as a 3yo, so it's not like she suffered an utter collapse in form. On speed figures at 2 she was slow, and she stayed that way, so altogether it was no real surprise.

Halfbridled was really the only one out of the group that you might call perplexing.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Paseana

Quote:
Halfbridled was really the only one out of the group that you might call perplexing.
I completely agree there. Joanied referred to her problems with tying up, and I think I do recall hearing something about that. I also vaguely remember something about back problems with her, though I might be wrong.

I just wonder if the thing with Halfbridled was her size. I don't think I've ever seen, in person, a 2yo filly competing on the track that was as big as she was. She was a 2yo, for pete's sake, that stood 17 hands......or it seemed like it anyway. Manistique was a behemoth also, but I don't think she ever raced at two. Again, my memory might be failing me there.

The point is, though, that perhaps a filly of her size competing at the top level of her generation at only 2 years of age is a recipe for problems when turning 3. The physiological development that happens with horses in that transition is well documented, and maybe what happened with Halfbridled is the reason that most over-sized 2yos have delayed career starts......see "Zenyatta".

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Paseana is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
hibiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
where's the press release, phony tan, news conference, and bodyguard for this IEAH MOVE ????
hibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
GARY Z
gary z

Stardom Bound

the filly ran miserably when she discovered Mike was on another mount

GARY Z is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
Rest assured that if Jess Jackson owned her, we would have gotten the press conference announcing she was on her way to Curlin.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseana
I completely agree there. Joanied referred to her problems with tying up, and I think I do recall hearing something about that. I also vaguely remember something about back problems with her, though I might be wrong.

I just wonder if the thing with Halfbridled was her size. I don't think I've ever seen, in person, a 2yo filly competing on the track that was as big as she was. She was a 2yo, for pete's sake, that stood 17 hands......or it seemed like it anyway. Manistique was a behemoth also, but I don't think she ever raced at two. Again, my memory might be failing me there.

The point is, though, that perhaps a filly of her size competing at the top level of her generation at only 2 years of age is a recipe for problems when turning 3. The physiological development that happens with horses in that transition is well documented, and maybe what happened with Halfbridled is the reason that most over-sized 2yos have delayed career starts......see "Zenyatta".

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I have no doubt her size played a big part in her problems...and we all know about those Unbridled Song's...but IMO, if they'd waited until she turned 3, she may have gone on to a much longer race career...such a talented filly. her problems with tieing up can certainly be tied to back problems...I haven't got much respect for any owner/trainer that races a 2 yr old that has such size as she did...IMO, Zenyatta may not be what she is today if they'd rushed her as a 2 yr old.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Jet
Great! The resulting offspring should be capable of racing at least four or five times before breaking down.

Thoughtful breeding at its finest.
There is just as good a chance that the resulting foal will have good feet as not.
She obviously is a good 'nick' with BB, so they will take a chance...plus the fact that it seems most breeders don't give a damn about such things...they just want a runner! But I wouldn't jump to the absolute conclusion that the foal will have bad feet.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
I have no doubt her size played a big part in her problems...and we all know about those Unbridled Song's...but IMO, if they'd waited until she turned 3, she may have gone on to a much longer race career...such a talented filly. her problems with tieing up can certainly be tied to back problems...I haven't got much respect for any owner/trainer that races a 2 yr old that has such size as she did...IMO, Zenyatta may not be what she is today if they'd rushed her as a 2 yr old.
Halfbridled was by Unbridled, not Unbridled's Song.