Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALostTexan
How the hell is a horse supposed to know what direction to run after seeing the direction that Secretariat is running?
..... What idiots. They are just intent on ruining this sport...
Not only that, but the statue is teaching the other horses that they are supposed to get loose and run off before anyone can get the saddle on. That shows a serious lack of concern for the horses safety.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Since this was a topic of discussion last Fall, I thought it was worth mentioning that the base has been repaired. Here's part of Dave Grening's article in DRF....

Secretariat base is back

A newly engraved concrete base for the Secretariat statue was recently installed in the Belmont Park paddock. The old base was destroyed last May 20 when the horse City on Line got loose before a race and ran into it.

The statue toppled over but remained relatively intact with a few scrapes, but the pedestal was cracked into three pieces. A mahogany wooden base was later installed to hold up the statue, until the new base - complete with Secretariat's accomplishments - was finished.
Thanks for the update TLG. Was asking about this last year.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
hibiscus

Quote:
I can't believe that the statue of Secretariat is running in that direction. If you are looking at the statue from the paddock, i.e. at the track, he is running backwards.

What idiot at NYRA made this decision? Do they know anything about racing? Or statues in that case? This is the exact reason that nobody goes to Belmont Park anymore!!! This is just absurd.

I am also sure that this is the reason that NYRA has short fields. I mean, if you are a trainer leading your horse out of the paddock at Belmont, you know that these stupid NYRA decisions are just there to confuse the horse. How the hell is a horse supposed to know what direction to run after seeing the direction that Secretariat is running?

Hello!!! Anyone home at the New York Racing Association? This isn't Europe!!! We race counter-clockwise in the US of A!!!

What idiots. They are just intent on ruining this sport...
If you walk down the ramp into the paddock or if you’re a fan standing outside the paddock looking in at the horses then the statue is directly in front of you running from left to right which is the same direction horses run as they’re approaching the wire. So, the only way the horse is running in the wrong direction is if you’re standing in a saddling stall which is the vantage point that a scant few get to experience.

As I wrote in my first post, let's see how long it takes the NYRA bashers to come out of the woodwork and have some kind of problem with this.

I guess the answer is just under two days.
hibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus
... So, the only way the horse is running in the wrong direction is if you’re standing in a saddling stall which is the vantage point that a scant few get to experience.

As I wrote in my first post, let's see how long it takes the NYRA bashers to come out of the woodwork and have some kind of problem with this.
I actually took that post (ALostTexan #10) to be 100% satire, and I followed suit with my poor attempt at humor in post #16, which I actually wrote just from looking at a picture of the statue and before I even figured out that a loose horse is what had caused the real damage in the first place. Now I just feel sad about it.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
Bruddah
Veteran

I was one of the original bashers of the "wooden crate" used to replace the broken base. The crate was a poor attempt to rectify a bad situation. I thought the crate just exacerbated the problem and was not very classy.

The picture of the new base is worthy of NYRA and Secretariat. The direction it's pointing has nothing to do with it's astetic beauty. NYRA should be complimented for finally doing it right. It's very classy. (JMHO)
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #21
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Talking

Thanks for posting the news...it was quite a topic of discussion here last year. Looks to be indentical to the old one...anyway...I'm glad it's back and looking good.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #22
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Thanks for posting the news...it was quite a topic of discussion here last year. Looks to be indentical to the old one...anyway...I'm glad it's back and looking good.
Yeah I was mad about the wooden thing all year but I'm sure it took time to get that big marble base done. Glad it's back.
Joanied that pic on the first page is the pic of the old one. It's says "the Old" at the bottom of pic. Plus everything is in full bloom in the picture. Seems too early for that. Wish I could see the new one. Well just 2 weeks left till Belmont
Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Yeah I was mad about the wooden thing all year but I'm sure it took time to get that big marble base done. Glad it's back.
Joanied that pic on the first page is the pic of the old one. It's says "the Old" at the bottom of pic. Plus everything is in full bloom in the picture. Seems too early for that. Wish I could see the new one. Well just 2 weeks left till Belmont
Ops ...no wonder it looks exactly the same (I am at this moment laughing at myself)

When you get to Belmont...take a photo and post it...of the NEW one

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Ops ...no wonder it looks exactly the same (I am at this moment laughing at myself)

When you get to Belmont...take a photo and post it...of the NEW one
Don't worry joanied, I did the same thing at first. . Yeah I will take a pic and put it up unless someone beats me to it first
Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #25
hibiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
I actually took that post (ALostTexan #10) to be 100% satire, and I followed suit with my poor attempt at humor in post #16, which I actually wrote just from looking at a picture of the statue and before I even figured out that a loose horse is what had caused the real damage in the first place. Now I just feel sad about it.
After reading it a second time I can see that you're probably right.

My bad!

I guess after locking horns with Moyers Pond so many times I get used to the nonsense.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #26
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Don't worry joanied, I did the same thing at first. . Yeah I will take a pic and put it up unless someone beats me to it first
Silly us
Look forward to the pics, tzipi...maybe the Bloodhorse will have one posted soon. Brings me back, ya know, I remember when they first placed it there.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
ALostTexan

WFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus
If you walk down the ramp into the paddock or if you’re a fan standing outside the paddock looking in at the horses then the statue is directly in front of you running from left to right which is the same direction horses run as they’re approaching the wire. So, the only way the horse is running in the wrong direction is if you’re standing in a saddling stall which is the vantage point that a scant few get to experience.

I guess the answer is just under two days.
You mean to tell me youhonestly thought I was serious in that post? This place never fails to amaze me. Perhaps you should take a few hours this evening and get out of the house. Go see a movie. Take a stroll though the park. Do something to connect with civilization and lighten up a little bit.

I don't know why but I am shocked that someone thought that was serious.

Good Luck

ALostTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #28
hibiscus

Quote:
You mean to tell me youhonestly thought I was serious in that post? This place never fails to amaze me. Perhaps you should take a few hours this evening and get out of the house. Go see a movie. Take a stroll though the park. Do something to connect with civilization and lighten up a little bit.

I don't know why but I am shocked that someone thought that was serious.
I just read it too quickly. As I said, my bad. I'm lightened.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
The picture of the new base is worthy of NYRA and Secretariat. The direction it's pointing has nothing to do with it's astetic beauty. NYRA should be complimented for finally doing it right. It's very classy. (JMHO)
Has there been a picture posted anywhere of the new base? The one in this thread is of the old base.

I would imagine they would be identical.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #30
Igeteven

I was at Santa Anita today, I saw the John Henry statue, fantastic