Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
I could send you an article printed in Hoofbeats magazine outlining our relationship during an interview that was given in the mid 80s. It shows exactly why I was there, and my role in the barn. What it basicly boiled down to was when he wanted answers about daily situations, I was to provide them, as I was barn forman as well. Dealing with the help was one of my most time consuming chores. Making sure they did what we required, and if they did not, my ass was in a sling.......and that was often as he was a perfectionist.
I'd love to see the Hoofbeats article, if you have it in PDF and can post it. I read the now defunct (?) Harness Horse in the 1980s.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
Hanover1

Don't worry Mike, I don't make a habit of pulling folks legs. This is my livelyhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
I'd love to see the Hoofbeats article, if you have it in PDF and can post it. I read the now defunct (?) Harness Horse in the 1980s.
I will dig it out for you, and post the date/month. You can archive it via USTA. Give me a day, and I will PM you with the info if its that important.

Last edited by Hanover1; 03-18-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: additions...
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #18
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
I will dig it out for you, and post the date/month. You can archive it via USTA. Give me a day, and I will PM you with the info if its that important.
Oh no need to go to any trouble - thought you might have had it handy and it sounded interesting. It's always fun to read old articles like that.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Oh no need to go to any trouble - thought you might have had it handy and it sounded interesting. It's always fun to read old articles like that.
Sadly, those were the glory days for me-not near as much luck of late. Harness has disenchanted me for a few years, and I turned to runners, having done a stint with a few sheds......
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Sadly, those were the glory days for me-not near as much luck of late. Harness has disenchanted me for a few years, and I turned to runners, having done a stint with a few sheds......
Yeah I watched harness racing die at Saratoga Raceway in the 80s and early 90s. Slots have helped since then.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #21
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBurnie
Steve Klesaris (a very good trainer IMO) ran a horse he owned "Need a Name" in the 1st @ Penn last night (1M 5kn4L). However, Steve was not listed trainer like he had been for the 4yo colt’s first 16 starts (last being 2/24/10 CT), last night, trainer, Stephanie Beattie???? S. Klesaris ran a horse he trained, and part owned in the 2nd, also @ PENN. ???????

S. Beattie has also been listed as trainer for Peter Klesaris, who's a trainer.

Thoughts?
It depends on who was training the horse at the time of entry I believe. I've seen similar situations where an owner trainer sends their horse for a race where they might not be licensed, and it may not be on track back with the owner trainer during the entry. Maybe different jurisdictions handle things differently on this. I think the track does not let the owner trainer deal with the horse as a trainer if it is entered by someone who is off track who may have just raced the horse stabled at another track.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #22
hibiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBurnie
Steve Klesaris (a very good trainer IMO) ran a horse he owned "Need a Name" in the 1st @ Penn last night (1M 5kn4L). However, Steve was not listed trainer like he had been for the 4yo colt’s first 16 starts (last being 2/24/10 CT), last night, trainer, Stephanie Beattie???? S. Klesaris ran a horse he trained, and part owned in the 2nd, also @ PENN. ???????

S. Beattie has also been listed as trainer for Peter Klesaris, who's a trainer.

Thoughts?
Steve trains for me. Steph used to but not anymore. I have no direct knowledge but I’ll take a guess here.

The horse in the first is a $5,000 claimer and was running for a $15,000 purse. The horse in the second is a $10,000 claimer and was running for a $23,000 purse.

Steve is based at Delaware Park and also at Fair Hill. He has no stalls at Penn. Steph is based at Penn and has stalls there.

It’s entirely possible that Steve didn’t want to continue to incur the van bill back and forth from either Delaware or Fair Hill to and from Penn for a cheap horse. That extra expense can eat seriously into a horse’s ROI. The more expensive horse running for the larger purses can withstand the expense a bit more. So perhaps he handed off the cheap horse to Steph to keep costs down.

One other option is that Steve sold the horse to someone else and the racing office simply didn’t update the program with the new owner’s name. I’ve seen that happen before, too.

All guesses. If I remember I’ll ask Steve the next time I speak with him and I’ll post the answer.
hibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #23
JWBurnie

Hibiscus, thank you for the response..... that would make sense.
JWBurnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply