Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Rocket Scientists at NYRA have 142 horses starting in the Belmont this year

Are the people at NYRA really this stupid? I know this is the 142nd Belmont Stakes but putting 142 on a saddle cloth is ridiculous and insulting to anyone that actually follows the sport.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...nt-stakes-logo
Moyers Pond is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyers Pond
Are the people at NYRA really this stupid? I know this is the 142nd Belmont Stakes but putting 142 on a saddle cloth is ridiculous and insulting to anyone that actually follows the sport.

Do you really enjoy going out of your way to play the fool?

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Yes, but that is an absolutely moronic logo. I don't see anyone this dumb at Pimlico or Churchill Downs.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Linny

It doesn't bother me as the towel is the most sensible place to put a number. Also, the "2" is partly obscured by the boot. In some places every horse gets a number and they must wear it on their saddle towel for training. I know they do this in Dubai. Look at training photos from the Carnival and every horse is wearing a number. I think they do the same in Hong Kong, so it doesn't look too odd to me.

I rather like the logo. Not sure how the Brooklyn Bridge has anything to do with Belmont but like the Empire State Building, it is an iconic image of New York. The graphic lines tend to create the impression of movement which are continued by the image of th horse.
Am I alone here? I kinda like it.

Last edited by Linny; 03-11-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:

so they put corporate names and logos on them
Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Igeteven

Quote:

Send them to Santa Anita, and you will have only five starters
Igeteven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:

Hey man, good to have you back. Any updates on Christine Daae? How is she adjusting to life in her new barn?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Hey man, good to have you back. Any updates on Christine Daae? How is she adjusting to life in her new barn?
I don't know, but it was nice of you to put a few bucks on that horse at Tampa the other day. I love taking money from compulsive gambling degenerates that can't go a race without betting on them.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
... I don't see anyone this dumb at Pimlico or Churchill Downs.
http://www.churchilldownsincorporate...derby_134_logo
The official event logo for Kentucky Derby 134 features a Thoroughbred racehorse and jockey, outlined in vibrant springtime shades of pink, orange and red, set against a deep blue background that includes a stylized version of Churchill Downs’ famed Twin Spires, the same symbols now used as the corporate trademark of Churchill Downs and its parent company, Churchill Downs Incorporated. The racehorse’s saddle towel bears the number “134,” to commemorate the 134th running of the “Greatest Two Minutes in Sports.”
How very true.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
I don't know, but it was nice of you to put a few bucks on that horse at Tampa the other day. I love taking money from compulsive gambling degenerates that can't go a race without betting on them.
Typical response. Completely disregard the fact you were shown to be a know nothing blowhard.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Perhaps your dumbest post yet and that's saying something
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Hey man, good to have you back.
Don't worry...he won't be staying.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
hibiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
How long will it be until we see a post from Moyers Pond claiming that it was NYRA on the grassy knoll in Dallas?
hibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus
How long will it be until we see a post from Moyers Pond claiming that it was NYRA on the grassy knoll in Dallas?
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
sandpit

Quote:
Yes, but that is an absolutely moronic logo. I don't see anyone this dumb at Pimlico or Churchill Downs.
Having sat thru many meetings at CD, I can tell you for a fact that there are plenty of people there just as dumb. Here's a few suggestions that were actually considered:

-Putting the "#12" on all the saddlecloths for the field horses, since that's all the tote could handle at the time.
-Getting saddletowels with the numbers sewn only on the right side since that's what the public sees coming down the homestretch. (Supposedly a money saving measure; I guess they figured nobody looked at the horses on the backstretch or in the winners circle.)
-Years of nixing Kentucky Oaks merchandise, thinking it would cannibalize Derby merch. sales. Proved completely ridiculous since both have grown in volume since the Oaks stuff was created a few years ago.
-Running the Derby at night...oh, wait, that one is gonna happen and makes sense from a revenue standpoint. However, when CD did their clubhouse renovation several years back, track lighting was part of the budget, but it was deemed to expensive at the time. So they waited a while, and paid several times what the original cost of the project was.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply