Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #16
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If McKinzie goes off the favorite, I'll probably take a small shot against him. I think he has been the best horse so far, but it's not 100% he's as good now as he has been at his best in the past. I think Code of Honor and Vekoma are newly turned 4yos that are still moving forward. Even if he fires his "A" race it's possible one of those two (or both) moves past him anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Its nice to see the Met Mile back with its own day as the highlight race rather than an under card event.
Not a fan of Code of Honor here. Think he has to run his best race ever to win.

Agree on the Met being a stand alone race.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #17
GMB@BP

Vekoma is a very good horse. Race changed when Vekoma outbroke Warriors Charge and then that one took back.

I dont think McKinzie is close to the class he once was.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #18
classhandicapper

Vekoma was very good and Code of Honor did very well to close while also wide.

McKinzie didn't run as poorly as his finish. He was hung 4 wide the entire turn and didn't get beat that badly. He's probably half a step below his very best form, but that was enough against improving horses and a perfect trip Network Effect.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-04-2020 at 06:14 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #19
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Vekoma was very good and Code of Honor did very well to close while also wide.

McKinzie didn't run as poorly as his finish. He was hung 4 wide the entire turn and didn't get beat that badly. He's probably half a step below his very best form, but that was enough against improving horses and a perfect trip Network Effect.
Honor Code has a worse trip and McKinzie likes being outside so I thought he had every shot but was not good enough, sure pace was not ideal but if thats the case you run second, not fifth.

It was interesting that no horse has won a Grade 1 on dirt as a 2,3, 4 and 5 year old in the history of racing? Never heard that and thought that had been done but guess not.

I like Honor Code moving forward when the get around two turns.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #20
classhandicapper

I agree that Honor Code was clearly better than McKinzie.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #21
metro

Warrior's Charge ran well in defeat all things considered. Understand the connections wanting to take a shot in the Met Mile but still wish he had showed up in the Foster where he would have been 4th or 5th choice and, imo, 2nd to Toms D'Etat, especially the way that race played out.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2020, 02:22 AM   #22
SharpCat

Quote:
It was interesting that no horse has won a Grade 1 on dirt as a 2,3, 4 and 5 year old in the history of racing? Never heard that and thought that had been done but guess not..
Quite shocking they got that wrong since it happened so recently. Beholder won G1's at 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 years old.

They also said Fit to Fight in 1984 was the last horse to win the Met Mile and Suburban in the same year. In Excess won the Met Mile and Suburban in 1991. They seemed to realize shortly after that in fact it was incorrect. Not surprising no attempt was made give out the correct information.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #23
classhandicapper

104 Beyer.

That seems a little slow to me, but it fit in with the rest of the day. So unless you think the track changed speeds a little, for a premier Grade 1 race loaded with Grade 1 winners, it came up around as fast as Grade 2. That's not as impressive as it looked watching.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #24
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
Quite shocking they got that wrong since it happened so recently. Beholder won G1's at 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 years old.

They also said Fit to Fight in 1984 was the last horse to win the Met Mile and Suburban in the same year. In Excess won the Met Mile and Suburban in 1991. They seemed to realize shortly after that in fact it was incorrect. Not surprising no attempt was made give out the correct information.
I think they may have said male, I am not going to rewatch, do you know if that changes stat?
Old 07-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
Spalding No!

Quote:
I think they may have said male, I am not going to rewatch, do you know if that changes stat?
Best Pal technically didn't win a Grade 1 at 3 but did win the Swaps and Pacific Classic that year.

Court Vision technically didn't win a Grade 1 at 2 (he won the Grade 2 Remsen) but preceded to win Grade 1s at ages 3, 4, 5, and 6.

I suppose there were no graded rankings at the time, but a cursory look at Round Table's record and almost assuredly he won what would have been considered Grade 1's at 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #26
the little guy

Quote:
We did.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply