Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #5506
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
As you say, Covid-19 cases and deaths are now spiking dramatically not only in Arizona, but also Texas and Florida.
They are "spiking" in CA too. How come you didn't mention that? Or were you making a political statement.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #5507
lamboguy

i have a friend with a bar in St, Petersburg, Fl. he has 15 of his 25 employees sick with corona and all of them are between 22-30. 4 of them have been in the hospital for 3 days now. and all of them wore masks when he was in the bar.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #5508
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
So we knew in advance, in early March.

Thank you.

So basically nursing homes are death traps and that there are no practices that work in them---- Because if that is true, then hospitals would be filled with nothing but dying people left and right. And they're not because proper procedures are practiced.

And keep pretending it was only certain states. Its not.

But I do find it interesting that the "politics" of it is more important to you than anything else. That's a shame.

Since masks aren't worn to protect the wearer, so not sure why you posed this question.

Next time you have surgery, ask the doctors and nurses not to wear a mask. Since you don't think they are overly significant

Per your vulnerable clients, I assume they are not being treated by "office staff", correct? So are you sending staff to care for them w/out PPE and masks?

Are the 65 employees "office staff" or are you talking about those you send out for care duties? Do you have 65 employees sitting around together in office all day? Too much information missing for me to access your situation let alone your claims of luck, etc.

At any rate, the more cases we have, the longer our economic recovery will last. On that you can depend. This is just common sense.
Don't look now, but you were practicing politics in your reply. Plenty of practices work in nursing homes given the fact that many had no covid cases. My point was that nursing homes suffered tremendously when govt forced them to accept covid patients. So you somehow waving a magic wand and calling it politics doesn't cut it. Certain DEMOCRATIC governors saw fit to kill thousands of their citizens and YOU are giving them a free pass. How liberal of you.

Secondly, I wasn't claiming luck. I am claiming that masks are over valued. Wash your hands and quit touching your face, nose, ears, and eyes. You're welcome! My staff come into direct contact with patients. They use PPE as the client wishes. Most do not require PPE, just common sense precautions.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #5509
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i have a friend with a bar in St, Petersburg, Fl. he has 15 of his 25 employees sick with corona and all of them are between 22-30. 4 of them have been in the hospital for 3 days now. and all of them wore masks when he was in the bar.
Did he shut down his bar? Why not?
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #5510
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Did he shut down his bar? Why not?
he shut, he has no one to work there now.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #5511
lamboguy

another thing is that they are trying to treat the real bad cases without ventilators. they are having a much smaller death rate in florida so far.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #5512
lamboguy

in mass. i think the deaths are coming from people that have been on ventilator for months now. basically there is no more corona virus in this state. the governor did a great job here.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #5513
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post

We would have to know more about how they were mask wearing, if they were touching their masks then cross contaminating, etc. Tucker6 is correct in that just slapping a mask on isn't a panacea if not practiced correctly and/or along with OTHER things.

If 60% of the employees in that bar are sick with covid and are in the hospital (and that doesn't speak to the asymptomatic ones!) hopefully the place has been shut down and a good disinfecting company brought in, because this is a pretty bad *cluster*.

I suspect he won't have to do anything, as the health department probably knows already.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #5514
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #5515
clicknow

Something like 29 states showed upticks this week, 10 of them posted highest weekly infection rates so far.

Directors of public health departments are installing surveillance cameras at their homes due to receiving death threats. I find this rather upsetting:

"For Lauri Jones, the trouble began in early May. The director of a small public health department in Washington state was working with a family under quarantine because of coronavirus exposure. When she heard one family member had been out in the community, Jones decided to check in.

The routine phone call launched a nightmare.

“Someone posted on social media that we had violated their civil liberties [and] named me by name,” Jones recalled. “They said, ‘Let’s post her address. . . . Let’s start shooting.’ ”

People from across the country began calling her personal phone with similar threats.

“We’ve been doing the same thing in public health on a daily basis forever. But we are now the villains,” said Jones, 64, who called the police and set up surveillance cameras at her home."

I guess I would not suggest being a volunteer or paid contact tracer at this point. Doing something useful can get you killed now.

I just hope hospital workers don't find themselves in similarly over-whelmed or targetted situations, on their way home with PPE to shower and undress on the back deck after their 14 hour shifts of administering to sick covid patients.

I am stunned this happened to this woman. The FBI should trace every
single call and arrest these terrorists!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/
Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #5516
GMB@BP

Deaths are not spiking in Arizona, your entire quote of mine stated exactly the opposite.

We are sitting at 2.4% statewide and 2.0% in Maricopa County where the top medical is located. We were at 3.6% in April.

Maybe this is a better explanation?

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...doctors-2020-6

Last edited by GMB@BP; 06-22-2020 at 08:31 PM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #5517
lansdale

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
They are "spiking" in CA too. How come you didn't mention that? Or were you making a political statement.
The list wasn't meant to be exhaustive, but yes, CA, OR, MI, and other places in the country are spiking too. Overall the disease is either plateauing or growing in about half of all states -- that's not good. Political? Covid-19 doesn't care whether you're Team Red, Team Blue, or Team Whatever -- it's an equal-opportunity killer.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #5518
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
The list wasn't meant to be exhaustive, but yes, CA, OR, MI, and other places in the country are spiking too. Overall the disease is either plateauing or growing in about half of all states -- that's not good. Political? Covid-19 doesn't care whether you're Team Red, Team Blue, or Team Whatever -- it's an equal-opportunity killer.
They are not spiking in Michigan right now, your posts are inaccurate and not furthering your point.

GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2020, 01:42 AM   #5519
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Since you were unable to answer any of my questions about your numbers, I'll just assume you're taking a pass on verifying them in any meaningful mathematical or epidemiological way, or even explaining your theory behind such a simplistic analysis. .

Your "model" is sorta funny to me, that's all. What's even funnier is that you believe you've proved something.
I answered your question in the first post you replied to.

The number is right there, on the Johns Hopkins website. Total deaths worldwide.

That's all you need to know. That one number answers all of your questions.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:49 AM   #5520
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Certain DEMOCRATIC governors saw fit to kill thousands of their citizens and YOU are giving them a free pass. How liberal of you.
Hey Tucker6, I was unable to find anything in my posts where I gave anybody a free pass. Is this something you are projecting on to me? I certainly didnt' write that.

Looking at the numbers, nobody gets a free pass. As a matter of fact, I think it's pretty dreadful record myself.

I did a little computation based on info that is available from various states for another group (large forum with 250K members). Around June 2nd. As you know some states don't report all nursing home deaths, etc. but this is as accurate as there are records. Here's the numbers that health departments have, or rather, percentagess (I used ranges because otherwise it would have taken me all day). I was pretty horrified when I started looking at the numbers.

"The most recent updates May 22 and June 2 reflect the most recent statistics from state-by-state COVID-19 fatality reports, in nursing homes, long term care facilities, and those caring for them:

80% of all covid deaths in MN and W.Va. for those states are in nursing homes and long term care facilities and those caring for them.

In NJ, MA, CT, PA, CO, VA, NC, RI, KY, DEL, OR, KS, and VT, 52%-79% of all their covid deaths are in nursing homes and long term care facilities and those caring for them.

In DEL, MD, FL, GA, TX, MS, OK, and MN are all running in the 40%+ of all their covid deaths in their state also happening in nursing homes and those caring for them

In CA, LA, AZ, SC, TN, AR, and MT, about 30%-39% of all deaths from covid-19 in their state are from nursing homes and long term care faciltiies and those caring for them.

The rest of the states are running under 30%."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Most do not require PPE, just common sense precautions.
What specific "PPE" are you talking about exactly? Body coverings? I could see how those would not be necessary ..... but gloves and/or clean hands + masks seem essential. If someone has not been tested and/or is asymptomatic, how could they administer to clients w/out masks, since talking/breathing can spread droplets at distances closer than 6'.

Trying to imagine a cna or nurse going to my mom's house who is 92.