Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #196
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
A pinto’s an upgrade from your bicycle. Didn’t you bike 15 miles a day to call Calder? You have enough dues in to call anywhere.
nothing is an upgrade from the exercise and individualism offered by the bike. nothing on this planet, suff.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #197
Waquoit

"...Imbriale forever (didn't he retire like a decade ago? lol)."

He was downsized. This really completes the comeback story. He seems like a great guy but needs to pick up his game.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #198
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
A pinto’s an upgrade from your bicycle. Didn’t you bike 15 miles a day to call Calder? You have enough dues in to call anywhere.
I rode about 12 miles from Redondo Beach to Hollywood Park. Much of it on the Strand. That was such big fun. I was in really great shape. Hollywood Park was rolling along. Miss those days very much.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #199
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquoit View Post
"...Imbriale forever (didn't he retire like a decade ago? lol)."

He was downsized. This really completes the comeback story. He seems like a great guy but needs to pick up his game.
He is a great guy and he is picking up his game. Calls are sounding better and better each day. Looking forward to a great Belmont day of races and race calls.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #200
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
He is a great guy and he is picking up his game. Calls are sounding better and better each day. Looking forward to a great Belmont day of races and race calls.
I'm not hearing it. He is also very hesitant to call a photo, and I don't mean ones that are tough.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2020, 12:03 AM   #201
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119 View Post
Johnny I. has been struggling since the meet started, many times not knowing the name of a horse and just not saying anything. Is this normal for him? I don’t think I remember him being like this, but don’t play NYRA too much in the winter.
I think hes not used to calling a full season of races. He should've only had been a backup. He clearly can't handle it in the big time.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:06 AM   #202
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:
Just announced this morning that Larry Collmus will call the Del Mar summer meeting starting July 10. Trevor Denman decided to stay at his farm in Minnesota because of the COVID 19 Pandemic. Denman said he plans to return in the Fall.
GET IN
Old 06-21-2020, 05:34 AM   #203
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
GET IN
GET IN what? Larry is doing one meeting and Trevor is coming back in the fall.

Thanks for thinking of me though. I'm still on full stay at home.

I'm concerned we're headed for more awful COVID 19 days.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

BTW I thought John Imbriale's call of the Belmont was first rate. Stepped up nicely when the pressure was on. Larry too.

When a race caller has been around as long as John, Larry and myself. Doing a good job in the marquee races becomes job one.

Yes I want to call every race to the best of my ability. But if I call them all perfect and mess up the Arkansas Derby and or Apple Blossom the year is a failure.

I'd still love to call a least one race at Del Mar. Maybe in the fall they'll let me call the Hollywood Derby. That would be extremely cool.

I'm also thinking about reaching out to the Rams and or Chargers. I would LOVE to be the first person to make an announcement at the new stadium. Not be the full time guy. Just have the last word before HP was torn down and the first now that it's something else.

That's the kind of weird stuff you think of at 4:23am while working on the two Mandatory Pick 6's for Sunday. Belmont has a chance to be very chalky. Rudy Rod will be 2/5 in the first leg and could easily win 3, maybe even 4 during the sequence. Anybody ever play a $20 Pick 6 on a mandatory payout day? Probably should tread lightly.

I got walloped on Saturday. Played two entries in the Express Bet Belmont Challenge. My goal in those tourneys is to try and find one foundational long shot to jump start the entry. I had two I LOVED yesterday. TEXAS WEDGE in the Jaipur and MAX PLAYER in the Belmont. Both ran good but not good enough. If they each finish 2nd I would have been cooking with gas.

Enjoy your Sunday. Stay safe.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #204
chenoa

Last time I was there, the Hollywood Park exit sign is still posted on the LA freeway.

Very depressing to pass by and see.
Vic you need to grab that sign and keep.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #205
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa View Post
Last time I was there, the Hollywood Park exit sign is still posted on the LA freeway.

Very depressing to pass by and see.
Vic you need to grab that sign and keep.
I tried to grab the quarter pole. Went for $2000 at auction.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #206
dilanesp

Quote:
I tried to grab the quarter pole. Went for $2000 at auction.
On closing day, all sorts of fans were trying to leave with signs and stuff. They had guards at the exit making everyone give that stuff back.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #207
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
On closing day, all sorts of fans were trying to leave with signs and stuff. They had guards at the exit making everyone give that stuff back.
Someone was carrying the quarter pole?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 01:04 AM   #208
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Someone was carrying the quarter pole?
No, but there were people who had unbolted seats, unscrewed signs, etc.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 03:28 AM   #209
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:
GET IN what? Larry is doing one meeting and Trevor is coming back in the fall.

Thanks for thinking of me though. I'm still on full stay at home.

I'm concerned we're headed for more awful COVID 19 days.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

BTW I thought John Imbriale's call of the Belmont was first rate. Stepped up nicely when the pressure was on. Larry too.

When a race caller has been around as long as John, Larry and myself. Doing a good job in the marquee races becomes job one.

Yes I want to call every race to the best of my ability. But if I call them all perfect and mess up the Arkansas Derby and or Apple Blossom the year is a failure.

I'd still love to call a least one race at Del Mar. Maybe in the fall they'll let me call the Hollywood Derby. That would be extremely cool.

I'm also thinking about reaching out to the Rams and or Chargers. I would LOVE to be the first person to make an announcement at the new stadium. Not be the full time guy. Just have the last word before HP was torn down and the first now that it's something else.

That's the kind of weird stuff you think of at 4:23am while working on the two Mandatory Pick 6's for Sunday. Belmont has a chance to be very chalky. Rudy Rod will be 2/5 in the first leg and could easily win 3, maybe even 4 during the sequence. Anybody ever play a $20 Pick 6 on a mandatory payout day? Probably should tread lightly.

I got walloped on Saturday. Played two entries in the Express Bet Belmont Challenge. My goal in those tourneys is to try and find one foundational long shot to jump start the entry. I had two I LOVED yesterday. TEXAS WEDGE in the Jaipur and MAX PLAYER in the Belmont. Both ran good but not good enough. If they each finish 2nd I would have been cooking with gas.

Enjoy your Sunday. Stay safe.
Nah, man. You have it wrong. I was excited about Larry calling the summer meet at Del Mar. Great to see him back doing a racetrack even if its for a bit
Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #210
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
Nah, man. You have it wrong. I was excited about Larry calling the summer meet at Del Mar. Great to see him back doing a racetrack even if its for a bit
Not sure how I was supposed to know that's what you meant when saying GET IN.

But it's all good.

Del Mar is a great meet at a GREAT time of year.

We're all looking forward.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: