Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #16
delayjf

Quote:
Hopefully all of you can meet on Sunday's after church. Clutch your bibles, find a flag to worship and think of the old days when America was great.
Sounds like a better way to spend time than the circle jerk you will be attending.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #17
Tor Ekman

10 years from today will the NFL (a) remain the most popular spectator sport in America or (b) be hanging on for relevance (similar to boxing or horse racing)?
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #18
newtothegame

Now obviously, this is my own opinion.
I have gone back and forth with myself ever since the DREW BREES incident.

On one hand, being ex military, I fought for people to have the right to express their "freedoms". So, I am all for an expression of their personal beliefs.

On the other hand, people all over the country are being fired for "expressing" their personal beliefs (if it doesn't fit the democrats agenda).

So, do we truly have a right to express our beliefs and opinions or just those that fit a certain narrative? I didn't serve for "some" , I served for ALL.

Next, if people are subject to workplace rules (as those being fired are), why aren't NFL players subject to the same rules? Instead, the NFL, Nascar, etc etc are almost being forced to change what is acceptable (again due to an agenda).

Now some have come out and said it has nothing to do with the flag....
My question then becomes, so why do it during the flag and the anthem???

Long story short, for me, If they wish to kneel....fine.....do it after or before the anthem. However, I don't think this will suffice them as it DOES NOT FIT THE AGENDA.

Im curious to see how it plays out if and with NO crowds in the stands. You know it's often said you are not who you are when people are watching. The true measure of a person is your actions when nobody is watching. Well they may just get their chance!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2020, 02:22 AM   #19
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
10 years from today will the NFL (a) remain the most popular spectator sport in America or (b) be hanging on for relevance (similar to boxing or horse racing)?
I'd like (c) Curling in Louisiana for $200, Alex
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #20
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I'd like (c) Curling in Louisiana for $200, Alex
In Louisiana?......I'll take Girls Noodling for $500.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #21
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
In Louisiana?......I'll take Girls Noodling for $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS_pNdaCENo
Holy large catfish!!!! I am thinking I need to do some research on this sport ))
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
What would pass it? The NBA is the only sport that young people watch in any numbers. The NFL is going to decline in popularity because my son's generation watches highlights and not full games, but that's going to be true for all major sports.

I don't get the obsession with the national anthem before sporting events. If you go to the movies, they don't play the national anthem first. If you go to a concert, they don't play the national anthem first. And before World War II it was only played before baseball games on certain holidays. A lot of it is just fake patriotism that the NFL initially embraced because they were paid to do so, then people started noticing what players did or didn't do during the anthem. Before that they were in the locker room when the anthem was sung anyway and no one cared. It's all a fake controversy so people can virtue signal how they're more patriotic than the next guy.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #23
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Bigger Issue

Right now the NFL has a much bigger issue than the potential kneeling for the national anthem, and that issue is will they have a season if fans are not allowed to attend.

We are still about 2 1/2 months away, but as of today, there is no light at the end of the tunnel with regard to events that previously allowed mass fan participation. The nation is re-opening slowly, but for a league like the NFL the entire nation essentially has to be open, and not just a few states here and there. And the winter time is when folks get sick more often with coughing and sneezing and fevers. And there will be the folks who fear a second wave of the virus.

If the NFL is going to start their season in September, I can in no way imagine they will be able to allow fans, unless they are given permission to do so with a limited number, perhaps something like about 1/20th of maximum capacity. (Think how much they will need to raise ticket prices to make up for that!).

The NBA and NHL are going to experience similar difficulties. And it is going to be interesting to see if MLB pushes thru with any kind of season this year.
Track Collector is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2020, 05:38 AM   #24
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
What would pass it? The NBA is the only sport that young people watch in any numbers. The NFL is going to decline in popularity because my son's generation watches highlights and not full games, but that's going to be true for all major sports.

I don't get the obsession with the national anthem before sporting events. If you go to the movies, they don't play the national anthem first. If you go to a concert, they don't play the national anthem first. And before World War II it was only played before baseball games on certain holidays. A lot of it is just fake patriotism that the NFL initially embraced because they were paid to do so, then people started noticing what players did or didn't do during the anthem. Before that they were in the locker room when the anthem was sung anyway and no one cared. It's all a fake controversy so people can virtue signal how they're more patriotic than the next guy.
I went to the fan duel sports book one Sunday during football season, giants were playing that day at 4. I was 2. Placed was packed watching football (the early games).

Average age was about 35 with lots of money to burn.

Heard plenty of 5 and 10k bets.

As a horse player I am sure not used to that.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #25
Valuist

The simplest way to solve any national anthem issue is to not play it. Like it was mentioned earlier, other than the Super Bowl, you never see the anthem on TV.

Can football work in front of 1/4 of the stands full? I think it can. Football is the perfect made for TV game. Most fans get a better view watching the game on TV. Sure, there's some aspects one can't see on TV, but for the majority, they aren't going to be focusing strictly on the secondary, or offensive line.

MLB has shot itself so badly in the foot, that even if they come back for a 50 or 60 game season, will anyone care?
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2020, 03:11 AM   #26
delayjf

Right now, I hope they cancel the NFL season. I'm sick of the players attitude, they can kneel from home as far as Im concerned.

If I'm Trump. I would end military participation to include color guard and fly overs.

I'm planning on recording a couple of college games and watch those on Sunday.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #27
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Right now, I hope they cancel the NFL season. I'm sick of the players attitude, they can kneel from home as far as Im concerned.

If I'm Trump. I would end military participation to include color guard and fly overs.

I'm planning on recording a couple of college games and watch those on Sunday.
Have colleges announce if they're playing? I prefer the college games too.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #28
delayjf

I'm assuming if the NFL is playing so will the NCAA.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
The simplest way to solve any national anthem issue is to not play it. Like it was mentioned earlier, other than the Super Bowl, you never see the anthem on TV.

Can football work in front of 1/4 of the stands full? I think it can. Football is the perfect made for TV game. Most fans get a better view watching the game on TV. Sure, there's some aspects one can't see on TV, but for the majority, they aren't going to be focusing strictly on the secondary, or offensive line.

MLB has shot itself so badly in the foot, that even if they come back for a 50 or 60 game season, will anyone care?
I never came back from the strike on 85 or 86, whenever....MLB -

If I want to watch people scratch their nuts and spit, I can go to a free clinic.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #30
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
I'm assuming if the NFL is playing so will the NCAA.
Wrong assumption. There's a relatively good chance the NFL will play. I think its minus money there's no college.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: