Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-11-2020, 01:28 AM   #1
arw629
First Time Gelding

New Way to Lose...

Had a big win bet on Simply Sacred in Australia 5c tonight. Wins easily at 3-1 but was disqualified because of wrong weight. Apparently a bag was dropped and the horse was carrying 1/2 kg too little ? Maybe my details are wrong but this seems extreme to DQ a horse over one pound. The worst part is there is no refund. I’m out my bet.
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #2
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
Had a big win bet on Simply Sacred in Australia 5c tonight. Wins easily at 3-1 but was disqualified because of wrong weight. Apparently a bag was dropped and the horse was carrying 1/2 kg too little ? Maybe my details are wrong but this seems extreme to DQ a horse over one pound. The worst part is there is no refund. I’m out my bet.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...868-story.html
Old 06-11-2020, 04:35 AM   #3
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

I vaguely recall working at Ballarat one day in the ‘70s when a horse named Sendok was disqualified for weighing in light. He was a nice horse; I think it may have been his seventh or eighth consecutive “win.”
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
At least the bets in that circumstance were refunded. I saw on twitter a few overseas books paid out the DQ horse anyway. I emailed my adw hoping for the same love those books gave bettors.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
castaway01

Quote:
At least the bets in that circumstance were refunded. I saw on twitter a few overseas books paid out the DQ horse anyway. I emailed my adw hoping for the same love those books gave bettors.
That's a rough way to lose. Hope you can at least get a refund. Considering the freak nature of this event, maybe you have a chance at it.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
That's a rough way to lose. Hope you can at least get a refund. Considering the freak nature of this event, maybe you have a chance at it.
I’m hopeful. I’m still awaiting a response from my adw. I’ll post when I hear back.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #7
Onesome

Quote:
I’m hopeful. I’m still awaiting a response from my adw. I’ll post when I hear back.
Are you kidding me? are you a millennial snowflake? do you cry to your adw everytime your horse gets dq'ed? or when another horse takes out your horse?

The horse was legitimately dq'ed as per the rules of racing and result made official. You lost, accept it, move on.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 PM   #8
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
Are you kidding me? are you a millennial snowflake? do you cry to your adw everytime your horse gets dq'ed? or when another horse takes out your horse?

The horse was legitimately dq'ed as per the rules of racing and result made official. You lost, accept it, move on.
It’s a message board. Get over yourself.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:10 AM   #9
Scanman

Quote:
Yeah, a bad beat for sure. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen/heard of it happening at least a half dozen times or so. If Racing NSW ever gets around to posting the Steward's Report for this track in reference to your race, I will post it here.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2020, 12:13 AM   #10
jay68802

Quote:
It’s a message board. Get over yourself.
Mine was a 17/1 that won easy. What I did not see, was when he tried to put his whip under his arm, about 200 yrds into the race, it caught on his foot, flipped back and hit the jockey behind him. DQ'ed on that one.

jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #11
Scanman

Quote:
Here's the Steward's Report for your DQ:

RACE 5: Benchmark 66 Handicap 1430m
At Witz End – Unable to improve approaching the home turn when held up on heels.

Dark Image – Slow to begin. Overraced in the early stages. Steadied after improving onto heels near the 800m. Carried wider rounding the home turn.

Forza – Began awkwardly and bumped shortly after. A post race veterinary examination of the gelding did not reveal any abnormality.

Lucap (NZ) - Bumped near the 200m.

Macchina Volante – Slow to begin and bumped another runner. Bumped near the 200m.

Simply Sacred – Inclined to lay out in the middle stages. Shifted in under pressure passing the 200m. On return to scale jockey B. Looker weighed in at 58.4kg, 600g under his mounts handicapped weight of 59kg. Consequently, correct weight was delayed whilst stewards inquired into the matter. As the stewards were satisfied that Simply Sacred had carried less weight than it was required to carry, it was disqualified from its 1st placing in the event, as required under AR209(2)(a), and the official placings amended to Macchina Volante (1st), Lucap (NZ) (2nd), At Witz End (3rd) and Hot Scene (4th) before correct weight was declared. Mr O’Rourke pleaded guilty to a charge under AR209(2)(b) in that he did fail to saddle Simply Sacred with a lead bag provided by its rider, Mr B. Looker, which was primarily responsible for Simply Sacred competing in the event carrying less weight than it was required to carry. Stewards formed the opinion that the appropriate penalty be a fine of $2,000. Appreciating Mr O’Rourke’s guilty plea, his disciplinary record and full cooperation with stewards throughout their inquiry, a penalty of $1,500 was imposed.

Also, here's an article that I found on FB that's worth a read: https://www.punters.com.au/news/trai...qz9hw6hbnLCTkM
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2020, 12:25 AM   #12
SG4

A DQ for less weight carried always makes me think of this instance - although the horse wasn't close to winning, it's crazy to think of this occurring on one of racing's biggest stages & the possible fallout that could've happened.

https://www.espn.com/sports/horse/tr...ory?id=5258496
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply